Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Renegade xxc with 12 000km, last week it worked perfectly, yesterday was getting ready for a ride turn the key and nothing. Checked the battery first and it was completely dead. Got a new battery, went to put it in and it arced bad as soon as I touched the battery post. Turned the key on and tried touching the battery post again, arced but the fuel pump and dash came on. So I took off all the fenders and started moving stuff around and checking for chaffed wires or something around the battery area and everything looks good. Tried to connect the battery again and now nothing at all.

Any help on this would be appreciated! I'd hate to bring it to the dealer for $110/h.

·
Team Bad Company
4,020 Posts
Do you have a winch??? If you do disconnect the wiring to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,960 Posts
It's not uncommon for a computer controlled system to arc at the battery on initial contact.

If it's arced that bad, surely you'd smell some burning loom or you would've found something pretty quickly.

Double check that there aren't any pinched wires behind the small black cover that sits between the 2 cylinders.above the dip stick. I've seen wires pinched in that area before.

I'm wondering if you simply had a battery go bad.

·
Super Moderator
8,708 Posts
If a relay has gone bad in the "made" position you would have a load upon touching the battery also.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think the battery has anything to do with it, I bought a new battery and I have no power on anything, I know my ground is good, tested with the meeter and after that I don't know where to begin lol

I will check behind the black cover and post back. Thanks

·
Registered
389 Posts
Start by disconnecting wires until the load goes away. I would start with the main positive wire where it connects to the solenoid. Use the ground to connect and disconnect to check for intensity of spark.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ok pretty sure I found what shorted something out, the power in for the 3 fuses in the back, the connections are good there so it must have fried something else in the wiring.. anyone know where to look first? Hopefully didn't fry the ecm but there's a fuse to the ecm and it's good so don't think it would? All fuses are good in front and back, don't know how to test relays but I switched them around and nothing changes

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts