Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to wax my 2013 Renegade... it may sound crazy but I wanna keep it protected (mainly because of the price of the machine) and keep it looking nice and make it easer to wash off the mud. I was wondering if anyone else did and what product they used, and how well it worked/lasted.

·
Super Moderator
8,708 Posts
There are a bunch of us on here that have the sickness. Keeping em clean is not for everybody. I have never waxed mine but what I do do is use tire foam. After it's washed with a low pressure washer, I'll wash it by hand and then the whole bike (not the brake rotors) is covered in STP tire foam. I'll let it sit for a while, and then wipe the whole thing down. Guys on here that know me will tell you, it looks more like 4 months than 4 years old.

·
Shredder ™
4,850 Posts
There are a bunch of us on here that have the sickness. Keeping em clean is not for everybody. I have never waxed mine but what I do do is use tire foam. After it's washed with a low pressure washer, I'll wash it by hand and then the whole bike (not the brake rotors) is covered in STP tire foam. I'll let it sit for a while, and then wipe the whole thing down. Guys on here that know me will tell you, it looks more like 4 months than 4 years old.
true dat

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I do use this mud remover that says it will leave a protective layer on the four wheeler. But I was just wondering if I do need to wax it. You said you never had waxed it and yours still looks new or just looks like its in okay-ish condition?

·
Shredder ™
4,850 Posts
Rootie, your black plastic will never look perfect ever again. If you put a graphics kit on it, it will keep it shiny but the black just scratches up. Adding the tire foam or wd40 to the plastics will make them appear 100% better and will help avoid scratches.

But again, the black only looks good before the first time you ride it.

Skioutty has a yellow quad, it does look like it's 4 months old, but it's also yellow. Different animal.

·
Super Moderator
8,708 Posts
I would not say it looks brand new, and I didn't cause it has it's marks. Keeping on top of it pays off for me. Like Snowman said, the black parts will get hammered in time. It could be sooner if you ride through thick woods. A graphics kit will hold up better than the plastics alone but if you're gonna do one it's better to do it now while it's new. Once it gets gouged and heavy scratches they may show through the kits.

Not sure about the Can Am side of BRP but I know the SkiDoo line has put a cease and desist order to over 20 aftermarket wrap companies.

·
Muddin Mama
656 Posts
My Black plastics on my new quad were basically a total mess after my first ride. My 4 year old quad still looks awesome but it is yellow.

·
Muddin Mama
656 Posts
Good thing I have my graphics kit sitting waiting to be installed!!

·
Super Moderator
8,708 Posts
Yup, it's true. SCS Unlimited from Bozeman MT has been licensed by SkiDoo to be their exclusive company to do wraps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here are some of the simple and cheap things Ive done. For some deep scratches i have sanded them out getting the plastic as smooth as possible. Then very carefully and lightly use a bernzomatic torch wave it over the sanded area watching the plastic. Get it warm enough to make the sanded area shine but not warp.

I have also use a pledge floor shine on the plastics. It makes them shine up pretty nice. I have tried armour and found out how bad dust sticks to it and very hard to get off.

For black plastic i use a product called Black Magic ( like $6-$8 at walmart) that also made them look new.

·
Super Moderator
8,708 Posts
No permission for using copyrighted logos.

·
Super Moderator
8,708 Posts
Rootie, sorry for taking over your thread, you can have it back now!

·
Registered
186 Posts
i was using stp son of a gun, but changed over to sc1 from maxima, works great, makes it look new,

·
Super Moderator
8,708 Posts
Then they can keep making them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
All of the mentioned method and products work good but they don't last long so I constantly keep looking for new products to keep the machine looking NEW. On my Gold Wing Pledge is hard to beat. However I think I just found IMO the best product yet just this fall while talking to detail shop. It sure works great on black and if you have scratches just clean them up with carb cleaner and then apply the gel and wipe off.

Here it is

Liquid Bottle Bottle cap Fluid Glass bottle

any auto parts store carry's it.

See if you guys Like it :beerchug1:

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
SC-1 is really good stuff! For something cheap regular Pledge furniture polish works pretty good, gives it some shine and helps keep the dust off and also makes it easier to wash.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts