Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me a sissy... but my thumb kills me on my new Renegade. It got so numb a couple of weeks ago riding I couldn't even push anymore. Anybody have a twist throttle on their Renegade (or any atv) and how do you like it? Thanks for the advice.

· Registered
178 Posts
Call me a sissy... but my thumb kills me on my new Renegade. It got so numb a couple of weeks ago riding I couldn't even push anymore. Anybody have a twist throttle on their Renegade (or any atv) and how do you like it? Thanks for the advice.
Man I want a twist throttle too! I have always found it was easier for me to ride wheelies and climb bigger hills with twist throttle. I think its cause I can hold on better having my thumb also rapped around the handle bar grip.

· Registered
92 Posts
Most of the guys I ride with have this kit that makes it possible to switch between thumb and twist... It's some gadget thing they buy for around 60$ if I remember right. I've been thinking of getting one myself.

I've seen the extender things at Canadian Tire, cheap solution but I bet it works well.

Ps: your thumb will get used to it, but it will take a while. On long rides I often have to stop on the side of the trail for 5-10 min to let my thumb rest... This is on 6+ hrs ride of continuous riding.

· Registered
2,550 Posts
One of my girl friends has a twist throttle on her Griz,, she nearly killed herself with it,, real tricky area and yep,, twisted it by mistake and it sent her and the bike flying,, she is going back to a thumb !!!!

I have seen the one that you can use as a twist or thumb,, looks good,, Royal Distributing has them I think

Wolf

· Registered
116 Posts
Just to let you know that this thread subject has been done before, so try searching it out and you'll see those replies and these.
I'll tell you now that a twist throttle is a BIG mistake! I had put one on my blaster, got home to test it out - I dropped the clutch and back I went (like normal) ... well I inturn gave it gas which is not what I wanted, it wheeled up, I fell off, it keeped going - right into the woods! Needless to say to twist throttle came off!

I put a $12 aftermarket assist on the wife's 400 Outty and she love it, but I found it to be too big. I just used a 3/4" rubber hose on my X to help out and it does make a difference! A little spit or olive oil will help get it on!

I know that the X Game riders use a cool throttle set up... it is a thumb and index finger throttle. The added index throttle is so they can control the gas while jumping since the thumb position is not a realistic angle when they are so far forward of the bars. Don't ask me where to get one, because I have yet to see one in the catalogs! As for the dual twist/thumb - forget it, they receved poor reviews!

Attachments

· Registered
20 Posts
Most of the guys I ride with have this kit that makes it possible to switch between thumb and twist... It's some gadget thing they buy for around 60$ if I remember right. I've been thinking of getting one myself.

I've seen the extender things at Canadian Tire, cheap solution but I bet it works well.

Ps: your thumb will get used to it, but it will take a while. On long rides I often have to stop on the side of the trail for 5-10 min to let my thumb rest... This is on 6+ hrs ride of continuous riding.
something like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

· Registered
92 Posts
Check this out:

http://atvpt.proboards60.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=843

As you can see, it's a replacement for the whole throttle control unit, not just a cheap slip-on. I talked to one of the guys just now and he says it's an awesome kit and he recommends it big time. I'm considering one for the Renegade myself, but I'll have to see if there's a descent place to relocate the 4x4 switch. There is a switch IN the unit to lock the twist, you need to take one bolt out to remove the cover to lock or unlock it.

Word of caution, on some bikes you will need to replace the gas cable so it fits in the Terry box. I don't know if it's the case with Can-Am or not.

I found the kit for 111$ on a web site, but most sell it for 140-150$... Worth looking around I guess.

One of the guys even has a second thumb throttle on the left side as well, but I don't know what kind of setup it is. Might be custom.

· when in doubt FLOOR IT !
1,130 Posts
On long rides I relax my hand, and use my palm to give the gas. Then when an obstical comes I go back to normal grip. Then again I ride skis all summer so i use the same throttle technique. But it does help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts