Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
2,865 Posts
Sorry I didn't answer your call straight away, but I do live on the other side of the world. :lol:

My IACV cycled fairly freely by hand. Sounds like you got it sorted though.

You'll need to take it for a few good rides before it will settle down and the ECU will relearn it's position.

Can't say I've heard the noise, but never really lisened for it either.

The next simple thing I'd try, is to rotate the throttle lever housing around on the handle bar, to make the throttle lever sit further forward whilst in the idle position. This will place your thumb in a better position to control the engine at lower rpms.

·
341 Posts
Stovepiper, how does the CVTech primary clutch (recommended by Monster) compare to the QSC?

Here's the CVT clutch: http://www.atvtirescanada.com/en/product/cvtech-trailbloc-performance-primary-clutch#.WcwOimhSxPY

"this clutch is BETTER than any clutch kit on the market." so they say B)

I looked up the QSC and it is $1,110. The CVT is under $500. Do you think the QSC is more than twice as good? Just wondering. I guess there's no way to tell without buying them both and comparing them in your own ride. Unless, of course, someone has already done that.

carey
Good question. I was $1600.00 cdn by the time it got to the front door. I'm sure some of the lads here have tested both, ask kwick I bet he's the man with the 411 on that

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
UPDATE: Didn't get the improvement I was looking for by cycling the IACV, so I shipped my ECU off to Monster in Ontario for a firmware flash. I've been tracking the shipment and it took 5 days for the package to get out of California. Really! Thanks to Steve at Monster for good advice on how to get it through customs. It sailed right through. I'll let you know how it does whenever I get it back.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
UPDATE: Didn't get the improvement I was looking for by cycling the IACV, so I shipped my ECU off to Monster in Ontario for a firmware flash. I've been tracking the shipment and it took 5 days for the package to get out of California. Really! Thanks to Steve at Monster for good advice on how to get it through customs. It sailed right through. I'll let you know how it does whenever I get it back.
Interested to see how this goes. What all did you end up going with?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
UPDATE STATUS: waiting for ECU to be returned from Monster in Ontario with the new firmware flash. But I don't think they even have it yet. The last tracking entry from 10/07 shows it going through customs successfully and then, nothing. Hope they didn't lose it. This is me in the garage on my ATV waiting for the dang mail. :riding:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Finally got the ECU back from Monster in Ontario. Installed and tested. Good improvement, but not what I would consider a FULL solution. The improvement in the ride is good enough so that I probably will stop throwing money at the problem, now. I think the only thing left that I didn't try is a new 3rd party primary clutch. I can always resort to that later if I get tired of the problem not being entirely solved.

By "problem not being entirely solved" I mean: still no increase in dead space on the throttle lever between go and stop, but the go and stop are a tiny bit more gradual now which makes it easier to drive. That's basically it. Still hard to navigate over slow, tricky terrain. Still hard to keep a steady speed down-hill. Still hard to coast without engaging either throttle or engine brake, it just doesn't engage as hard.

Thanks for all the help. I credit Can-Am Talk forum and the responders above with providing me the best suggestions for solving my ATV problem.

Now, does anybody have a nearly-new CVT primary clutch they can sell me, cheap?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I'm a newby, so bear with me. I've ridden quads for years. I bought a Can Am 2017 650 outlander XT for me and a 570 outlander XT for my wife. Her's works great. Mine, not so much. The throttle is way too sensitive. If you move the thumb lever a thirty second of an inch in either direction, the quad either accelerates way to much or the engine brake comes on full. There is no dead spot between these two. If you are going downhill or are on a bumpy road, no human can hold the thumb lever still enough to keep from triggering either vast acceleration or nose-mashing engine braking.

I've done a lot of research on this. Several others have this same problem to one extent or another. I have not found a solution. I've read everything from buying new after-market clutches to removing the cups and springs in the one-way bearing (located in the primary clutch). I removed the cups and springs from my primary clutch and it does not disable the engine brake except in one condition: if you are on a slope and let off on your brake without touching the throttle (engine at idle), you will roll down the hill faster and faster until you goose or blip the throttle and then the engine brake comes on. This is a function of the drive belt catching when there is sufficient engine rpm to make it do so. Hence, blipping the throttle makes the clutch sheaves engage the belt which in turn engages engine braking.

There is no way to completely disable engine braking on a can-am quad.

I like the engine brake and the acceleration, but I don't like that there is no room between those two items on the throttle lever. My wife's 570 doesn't have that problem. Her lever has a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch of travel between accelerate and brake. This gives her control over accelerating and braking. If she wants to accelerate she pushes the lever. If she wants to slow down, she lets way off and the engine brake comes on.

I, on the other hand, am trying my best to keep the throttle lever from moving at all so I don't either make the brake come on or accelerate when what I'm trying to do is run at a steady speed over bad ground.

So, why am I telling you this? Because I'm hoping someone out there has a solution to this. A BUDS flash or something that would put some space between accelerate and brake on my throttle lever so that I am not constantly either speeding up or slowing down and thrashing around like a rag doll on my quad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my 2020 CAN AM 450 OUTLANDER for 1 year now and I can't wait to get rid of it for the same reason. even my wife wants me to get rid of it and go back to Polaris . Horrible throttle design. I'm going back to Polaris for the smooth throttle response / ride.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts