Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster here. I am heading out this afternoon to purchase a well used 2008 Outlander 650 MaxXT with about 15,000 kilometers (roughly 10,000 miles) on it. Physically in pictures, it looks very clean, but I will know more once I eyeball it and talk to the seller. However, the mileage is what's bothering me a bit. The guy is asking $5000 for it, but I am wondering if it will require a lot of parts or maintenance which will bring the price up all said and done. I use to own a 2002 Bombardier TraxterXT 500, which was a tank, and I regretted selling it a few years ago. Anyway, I thought I'd buy another atv to take my grandkids etc for a ride and just do a little trailing etc. I'm not really interested in playing in the mud and water anymore...(getting too old for that) plus I'm a heart surgery survivor, so I don't want to over do it physically. Anyway, a little input from any of you 2008 Oultander 650 owners would be greatly appreciated...pros and cons....Your thoughts ?

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
I would expect to have to replace the timing chains on it, if they haven't been done already. Pre 09 machines had premature timing chain failure.
Check for a blocked radiator.
Check the frame for cracks around the vertical post under the seat.
Check for crumpled frame behind the lower front A arm mount.
Check the lower frame rail for straightness and if it's collapsed in on the lower face.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would expect to have to replace the timing chains on it, if they haven't been done already. Pre 09 machines had premature timing chain failure.
Check for a blocked radiator.
Check the frame for cracks around the vertical post under the seat.
Check for crumpled frame behind the lower front A arm mount.
Check the lower frame rail for straightness and if it's collapsed in on the lower face.
Thank you very much ozymax. I decided to NOT buy that 650, as it was really beaten up. I am now looking very seriously at a 2008 Outlander Max XT 500 in very clean condition, which is more in the size that I really wanted, because I just want to do some mild trail riding as well as get a little fishing done, and some light plow work in the winter. Is that year a good year for the 500 ? Thanks again for the reply. All the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts