Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I've never ran a QSC so I can't say how they function but I know I like my STM hands down over my Cvtech

·
JBIRD
13,704 Posts
I've never ran a QSC so I can't say how they function but I know I like my STM hands down over my Cvtech
X2, only reason why i removed my CV TECH was because of a bad squeal i had when idling or on decel, couldn't get rid of it for the life of me and it was brand new, so i switched to an STM Rage 6.

·
Can Am Warranty Tester
2,649 Posts
Love my QSC no issues. Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk
Me too. 3 seasons of mud with 30" tires and 2 seasons of plowing snow...original belt.

(edit: I ran a new belt for a couple of rides to break it in, then put the original belt back on when I did maintenance/inspection...so 98% original belt...to be truthful)

Reactions: Mad Outy Max

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I have ridden two different bikes that have/had STM primaries installed.

The first thing I noticed about both of them is that they do not "hit hard" in the bottom end. A cuople of people have also told me the same thing about STM primaries. They don't have that aggressive "wheelie monster" belt grab like some other aftermarket clutches have.

I am not trying to talk the STM primaries down, just puttin' it out there.........

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have ridden two different bikes that have/had STM primaries installed.
The first thing I noticed about both of them is that they do not "hit hard" in the bottom end. A cuople of people have also told me the same thing about STM primaries. They don't have that aggressive "wheelie monster" belt grab like some other aftermarket clutches have.

I am not trying to talk the STM primaries down, just puttin' it out there.........
Was that on 500cc machines? Lol

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Lol
They where probably setup much different then mine since I have mine adjusted to wheelie on demand since I do enjoy my wheelies.

With the updated gen2 STM primary I have noticed a good increase in bottom end snap.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
you gents must be power sensitive to the different clutch setups? Few questions. 1) why do some gents have different primary and secondary setups? 2) why not have the same manufacturer for both pri/sec? I have STM Rage 6 primary and secondary and not sure if i can tell the diff from the stock? 3) what am i missing with these clutch setups or need to look/sense for? When greg was dynoing my unit with the Rage 6, he was changing out the weights (at least i think that was what he was doing)? Whats up with that? Hope not to get off topic but looks like science back in with these setups? You gents amaze me with all this different amount of info you talk back and forth with. I'm totally lost, as you can tell?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Life, scroll down a few posts and read the lengthy post from Gohard. Its a long read but there is a ton of info in there. Clutch set ups....Im no expert but I have been playing with set ups. Biggest gain with a primary I found was the ability to tune optimally for high range or low range, the smaller one way bearing( this gave better starting ratio) and definately better belt pinch. I cruise around alot in high range with 30" zillas so never having issues in high with tall tire is very nice. having suddenly enough power to wheely your max definatly lets you know you are transferring power to the rear tires. This is about efficiency. By that I mean setting up the clutches to optimize where your engine makes the most power. Thats probably what your dyno guy was trying to set up. Secondary, got the STM and its very shiny LOL, but the biggest gain I saw was the ability to let off the throttle and punch it again, and instantly back in optimum power rpms very quickly. Was it worth it????? NOt totally sure but I got it so it is a definate gain. It too has the ability to change the helix angle ( purchase different ones ) and optimize clutch tuning. Set up for fast trails, mud etc. You do lose some engine breaking over the factory secondary. Just some thoughts without getting too technical. :black2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
You would think can-am would just get one of the aftermarket companies that have proven clutches to supply them with clutches instead of trying to make their own. Makes a person wonder how cheap it is for can-am to build their own clutch.
Considering how many clutches Can Am installs their production numbers would allow them to manufacture at a much cheaper cist than after market products. It also gives them control over quality, which outsourcing does not. I am not saying that there aren't better clutches out there.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts