Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I ordered a new stm rage 6 because I heard they made a smaller bearing and I like trying new stuff and I was really happy with the gen1 stm rage 6 so decided to get spendy spendy and bought the gen2 STM rage 6
Gen2 on the left and the gen1 on the right
White Automotive lighting Light Product Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Well I ordered a new stm rage 6 because I heard they made a smaller bearing and I like trying new stuff and I was really happy with the gen1 stm rage 6 so decided to get spendy spendy and bought the gen2 STM rage 6 Gen2 on the left and the gen1 on the right
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424200763.018731.jpg
Looks good. I am getting ready to put my Gen 1 back in service from my 2011 Can Am build.. Keep us posted on the results.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Definitely will post updates on how well it performs, see if there is any noticeable gains other then bottom end as there is significant difference in the bearing diameter Gen2 on left gen1 on right
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424216153.891261.jpg
Wow - that is a big difference. I would like ot know what you find as I am still running the G1 version that has no bearing....

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These clutches allow all the power from the engine to more efficiently make it to the wheels, basically makes the quad feel like it has more power since they do a much better job then the factory clutches

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Reactions: MGRAM

·
W. F. O.
5,319 Posts
yes I have to admit... the rage 6 is a h*rny clutch.....lol

the one way is way smaller and will make a big big difference if you ask me.... yes the cost Is up there for a stm rage 6 and yes other clutches do work well ... it all depends on the application you want it for... but to elaborate on McGrams comment...

stock clutches are flawed just by design... the 2 sheeves are not locked together... threrefore many have issuies of belt slippage and not grabbing the belt nice and hard... clutch kits are not that effective at all and I would save my money and put it towards a compete primary and secondary.... results are so much better then a kit produces...

a stock 800 or a 1000 will shiftout at about 6600 - 6800 rpm ... and stock clutching can not be tuned even close to a full aftermarket one... now a stock 800 or 1000 is making peak power at about 7300-7400 rpm and that's where your losing hidden power of your motor to transfer the power more effectively to the ground... your losing about 700-800 rpm in shiftout ... two completely stock quads.... one with just clutches and one without will be about 2 full quad lengths ahead of the other machine...

can am has got smart now on the turbo maverick... the new clutch design boosts full lockable sheeves on there primary now... wonder why? and eventually the quads will come this way too... brp is learning and its from the aftermarket... soon there clutches will be fully tunable as aftermarket is right now...

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You would think can-am would just get one of the aftermarket companies that have proven clutches to supply them with clutches instead of trying to make their own. Makes a person wonder how cheap it is for can-am to build their own clutch.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I wish I would have gotten a Rage 6 instead of my Rage 3...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ponyboy96: an aftermarket primary clutch has all of the benefits mentioned by MGRAM and KWIK plus most that I'm aware of have a smaller one way bearing. This means that the belt runs in a tighter circle in the primary clutch. If you picture your primary and secondary clutches as toothed sprockets on a sport quad you have essentially put "a smaller front sproket" on your drive "gear". That means your starting gear ratio is lowered. An aftermarket primary reduces your starting gear ratio by 20% depending on which clutch you have chosen to run.

MGRAM: is the gen 2 STM balanced now? If I remember correctly that was their biggest design flaw.

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure if they are balanced now, actually never had an issue with vibrations or anything negative with my other STM rage 6. Had to be even further back version of the rage 6 with that issue you mentioned.

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QSC??? That's junk and no one runs that
STM is the only way :)

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I've never heard of balancing problems with STM

1 - 20 of 36 Posts