Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone run solid motor mounts.

Advantages/disadvanteges, pros/cons?

Do they create any additional vibration in the bike, floorboards?

·
Registered
232 Posts
will vibrate your hands off...its more for drag racing im told

·
Registered
450 Posts
Helps keep your drivetrain together. Less stress on u joints... so i have heard.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You really cant feel the difference as far as vibrations. The quad will seem more snappier. We tabled them after wrecking a frame and busting the engine cases in the process. After that we went back to rubber - still wrecked frames but never had an engine case fail.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
They work best in a mud machine that's ran in Low all the time. On older machines, the engine rocks way over, if the mounts are worn, causing the driveshaft to get in a worse angle, causing failure of the driveshaft. A whole kit is only $80.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I can't understand the reasoning behind solid mounts...... Way more to loose than gain
I do agree the rubber mounts are too soft but going to solid is just wrong. Use a compromise and go stiffer just not ridgid use a higher durometer urethane
This tech has been used in high perf auto for decades!!!!!
I'm running the urethane bushings in both my bikes and have proven to be good and no ill effects

Stan

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Real high performance car motors are bolted in solid. There is no need in doing otherwise, except for rider/driver comfort. Anything flexing is not good, in a chassis.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Real high performance car motors are bolted in solid. There is no need in doing otherwise, except for rider/driver comfort. Anything flexing is not good, in a chassis.
yup. we built a Camaro drag car last year. 3/16 spacer plat between the bell housing and block was bolted to the frame on either side.

both engine mounts were solid.

....that car cleaned up last summer as well!. ;)

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
I would like to do solid mounts in my renegade and just run flex bars to compensate for the added vibration if any, racing quads are solid mounted with little to no vibration and that's from a vibrating single cylinder so I assume the Vtwin would be less

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When ?I pulled my heads 2 weeks ago I noticed this by accident.

With the top motor mount off, the one that is bolted to the head:

I could grab the top of the motor on either of the heads and push it sideways at least an inch, maybe more.

It was then that I realized that I should replace the mounts.

Hence the reason for this thread.

I have decided to stick with rubber mounts.

·
Team Bad Company
4,020 Posts
I would say you made a good choice for a general trail machine. Like mentioned above for a drag or strictly mud machine they would be awesome.

Stan, did you build your own motor mounts out of the harder urethane?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Rebel, yes I build them they work great stiffer than stock don't deteriorate like rubber and still allow for some movement which you want in a trail machine that gets jumped and abused for more than 300' at a time

·
Team Bad Company
4,020 Posts
Rebel, yes I build them they work great stiffer than stock don't deteriorate like rubber and still allow for some movement which you want in a trail machine that gets jumped and abused for more than 300' at a time
Cool, might have to get a set from you!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ive had solid mounts since mid 2011 and i used to have a huge 6" lift and 31" tires. Im rough on stuff and so are my buddies. They all were breaking u-joints without these mounts and i am still on my stock joint and it has no slack in it still. They have since got them some solid mounts also.
Now my feet and hands suffer a little, but its not unbareable (flexx bars or similar would solve the hand problem).

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
i now have solid mounts. when engine was being built to an 916cc, noticed that the rubber was cut, split, torn, however one wants to call it, replaced them both. I can't tell any difference with riding. Still a challenge in the woods with giving a workout.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts