Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2018 can am renegade 850. Couple years ago it was blowing belts like crazy so I put a CV TECH primary on it. It had a 1037 spring and 15 gram weights and kept the stock secondary spring on ( running 29.5 outlaw tires). I ran it like that for a year with no issues. The shiftout was never right it was 6800 rpm shiftout. I eventually started tuning the clutches (with guidance over the phone from a can am racer) and had a shiftout of 7400; 1017 primary spring, 10 gram weights and epi silver secondary spring is what I ended up with in the clutches and it was tuned perfect( well I thought) Within 100 miles I blew a belt ( top half seperated). I inspected the clutches and sent the guy a ton of pictures all looked good. Put a new belt on and got less then 100 miles on it and this time it was BAD. The belt was still half together and i was in a field with lots of snow so i had too limp it going slow as possible too the closest road. Took the clutch cover off and both clutches are toast. The primary weight holders are plastic and those actually melted a fair bit. The one way bearing on the primary is seized on the shaft from such high temperatures and both clutch shievs are grooved up on both primary and secondary. The belts started blowing after I started changing springs and tuning the clutches. After tuning and testing I ended up with a 1017 primary spring and epi silver secondary and 10 gram weights. Shiftout was 7400 and seemed too pull hard. The can am racer said it's not the tuning but soon as I started chasing 100% performance and started changing springs and weights the clutches got super hot and would just blow the belt. I say it's the new tuning, it's gotta be what do you guys think??

At this point I'm thinking of buying used oem clutches and selling this junk. Every month if I'm riding it I have a problem and need to put parts into it. I ride hard but dont ride too much mud anymore. It only has 1800 miles on it and I've sunk more money in it then I've ever have before with "toys".
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Flash photography Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Flash photography Wood Rim Gas

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
I have zero experience with tuning clutches, so can't help there.
I noticed that there's some sort of grass seed sitting on the skid plate.....
Have you 100% checked that the inlet/outlet of the cvt housing is free and clean.
I've seen animals use the cvt ducts as little places to live before and totally blocked off the airflow.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have zero experience with tuning clutches, so can't help there.
I noticed that there's some sort of grass seed sitting on the skid plate.....
Have you 100% checked that the inlet/outlet of the cvt housing is free and clean.
I've seen animals use the cvt ducts as little places to live before and totally blocked off the airflow.
Just a thought.
Yup I checked the inlet and outlet and they are clear

1 - 4 of 4 Posts