Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,913 Posts
Last weekend our Quad club managed to get permission from the Forestry Department to retrieve a 4wd wreck that had been abandoned in the rain forest.
We've been working with the authurories for some time to get this eyesaw out of the forest and finally our wish came true.

There were four of us that took the task to hand and armed with various equipment, we set about doing the job.

The first stage of the recovery was to spin the wreck around so that it faced the correct direction. We used a combination of 2 quad winches and a series of pulley blocks.

Then once that was done, we had to perform a brutal wheel alignment, due to all the steering being damaged. Next, we bolted some old wheels onto the wreck and flipped it over using the winches of 2 quads. Our plan worked like clock work.

The roll over stage.

Once the vehicle was on it's wheels, we set about making it possible to safely tow the wreck out of the forest.
The windscreen was all smashed, but was still glued in place. This possed the biggest safety hazard to our woodbee driver, so we took some time to make sure he wasn't going to get cut up.
Next, we managed to bleed the front brakes which surprised the heck out of us all.
We then roped the drivers seat into place and used multiple straps to support the steering column. The dash had been removed, so there wasn't anything for the steering column to bolt to.

We gathered up all the various pieces of the vehicle that were strewn around the forest and loaded up the vehicle ready for the big move.

We used 2x Max's to do the job. Dingo Tim's Limited was attached to the vehicle via a strap. Then a second strap was hooked to my quad and fed under Tim's via a schackle that was supported by his winch cable. This strap was then hooked to the first strap.

Hooking the straps up this way meant that we were both connected to the vehicle instead of trying to make Tim's quad longer and the strap being supported at the front of his bike meant that if my strap went loose, he wouldn't run over it.

This process work perfectly. :thumbs:

The steepest hill was first.

Now that we had the hang of it, it was just a simple case of towing it the several kilometers back to the waiting trailer.

We had numerous bog holes to navigate on our way out.

Bog hole

It was at the biggest bog hole that we found there was a problem with the steering. This caused the convoy to come to a grinding halt when the vehicle hit a tree. The left hand drive shaft was jamming in the trasmission. Once we got passed the tree we managed to remove the the shaft and the rest was plain sailing.

Hitting the tree

We simply pulled the wreck onto the car trailer and enjoyed a well earned beer after all the hard work was done.

Did I say hard work. Hardly. :beerchug1:

·
JBIRD
13,704 Posts
Very cool Ozy, nice of you to help out your area. Are the snakes a problem in that area? You guy's do have a lot of poisonous creatures in aussie don't you?

·
Super Moderator
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool Ozy, nice of you to help out your area. Are the snakes a problem in that area? You guy's do have a lot of poisonous creatures in aussie don't you?
Yep we do have heaps of nasties. In our area we have the Coastal Tiapan, the Inland Tiapan, the King Brown and the Eastern Brown snakes. These four are in the top ten deadliest snakes of the world, but it's pretty rare to come across them when you have noisey quads around.

The worst things to come across in the forest are the wasps. Man they've got me a few times whilst clearing tree falls. Then there's the spiders, the leaches and the crocs to name but a few.

So, when ya coming over here for a ride??? :D

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Gave them can am's a serious work out...very cool

·
JBIRD
13,704 Posts
Yep we do have heaps of nasties. In our area we have the Coastal Tiapan, the Inland Tiapan, the King Brown and the Eastern Brown snakes. These four are in the top ten deadliest snakes of the world, but it's pretty rare to come across them when you have noisey quads around.

The worst things to come across in the forest are the wasps. Man they've got me a few times whilst clearing tree falls. Then there's the spiders, the leaches and the crocs to name but a few.

So, when ya coming over here for a ride??? :D
I was watching a program last week about snakes and they said the Eastern Brown was the most deadliest in the world, that's crazy. I would still come out an visit ya bud. :thumbs:

·
W. F. O.
5,318 Posts
yes,i agree... very nice! congrat on getting the job done...

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Always good to see folks doing their part to preserve their riding area :thumbs: .

Thanks for the footage too , I watched each video & like DoubleD said " you sure gave the bikes a workout" .

·
Super Moderator
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is AWESOME - was that and old Subaru ?
I lived in Katoomba Australia for a year working as a guide - what part of Oz did this take place ??
The vehicle started life as a V6 Nissan Pathfinder. Who ever abandoned it in the forest, cut the rear quarter off it and welded some make shift roll bar work in the back.

We were just west of Mt Bartle Frere, the highest peak in Queensland.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts