Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems that the quad is acting up again. It won't start consistently. The gauges turn on as do the lights, I can hear the fuel pump kick on and spin but sometimes the darn thing won't start. There's no low battery warning light displayed on the console either. When I give the battery a hot charge she goes. Not sure if its the battery going on me or an issue with the starter drawing too much on a tired battery. When the bike runs for a bit I can turn it off and start it again. But if I leave it for a bit, like overnight, its a 50/50 as to whether it will start again.

Any suggestions? I hope I don't have a short somewhere.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I can't help trouble shoot the problem. Hook up a battery tender and plug it in overnight. Then you will have a fully charged battery in the morning.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
When you say won't start, do you mean it won't crank over or cranks just fine but won't fire off? Because they way you are describing it, it sounds like just a bad battery or loose battery terminals. Check all the terminals on the battery and the starter. Make sure they are clean and tight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check the connections again. It makes a clicking sound coming from under the rear seat near the pump when it tries to start. I have put the battery up to the charger and it lasted for a bit but then the problem came back.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just like the guy above me said, I just had this problem myself.

Gives a clicking sound when you try to start. I always have had tight connections but it seemed that even when I checked them, they wernt connected well enough. It sounds 100% just like a poor connection issue. I would undo and redo your battery terminal connections and make sure they are TIGHT and firm and it should fire up easy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
this has probably been solved already but if not. if the connections dont seem to be the problem i would get a new battery my atv batt is on its way out. if i leave it for a few days without a charge it will do that to. so if its not the connections then get a new battery.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have this problem... I'm wondering if its my key? My connections are very tight on the battery. If I take my key out and wipe it and put it back in, then it starts. I have a new key and it seems to be better, but it still did it once... Very weird.... Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Any thougths on this guys... I wanted to check some things out on it this weekend, since there is no snow... Also, I need to check the groud to see if it is tight.. Not sure where the ground is? Any help?
Sure sounds like the key switch or the key. If you already have a new key and you are still running into the same problem, you try cleaning or flushing out the key switch with Wd-40 or a mild contact cleaner. You may have a bunch of junk in there. U leave my key in all the time to keep dirt from getting in there.

The other thing is to make sure it's not a gear posistion issue. Make sure you try to start in P or N.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My 800 has never seen mud or water, unless I am washing it and I was left the key in and used the kill switch to turn it off and on. I only ride this thing on dirt raods or small trails, no mudding... I am not a fan of it... I just trail ride it... I just can't see it being the switch. Where is the ground on it? I think it's a bad ground, just not sure where to start to look..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this problem... I'm wondering if its my key? My connections are very tight on the battery. If I take my key out and wipe it and put it back in, then it starts. I have a new key and it seems to be better, but it still did it once... Very weird.... Any ideas?
I had the same problem, followed the advice about taking the key out, cleaning it and it started right up. THANK YOU!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you say won't start, do you mean it won't crank over or cranks just fine but won't fire off? Because they way you are describing it, it sounds like just a bad battery or loose battery terminals. Check all the terminals on the battery and the starter. Make sure they are clean and tight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts