Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm looking for some help. I have a 2014 xmr 1000 that's not reading the coolant temp. So my fan doesn't kick in when it's hot causing it to overheat, throwing it into limp mode. I did a scan and the buds says the only active fault was damaged DPS pins or damaged circuit wires. My dealer ain't no mechanic and I have no clue what that means so he called one. The guy said to change the fan fuse, relay and main relay. I did and nothing changed. Only other thing I could think of was a air lock or faulty temp sending unit. I felt the hoses and they were both hot so I'm leaning more toward the temp sending unit. What do you think? Has this happend with any of your bikes? Also wouldn't the buds system notice a faulty unit? I'm going in for another scan on Tuesday to see if anything new came up but I'd still really like your input. Other then that the bike runs, starts and drives fine...for the first 10 minutes

·
Super Moderator
2,960 Posts
The BUDS has a monitoring section which monitors coolant temp and has an activation tab for the cooling fan circuit. as well.

It also has a recorded MIN/Max for the coolant temp in the history tab.

See what BUDS comes up with, before you start throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The BUDS has a monitoring section which monitors coolant temp and has an activation tab for the cooling fan circuit. as well.
It also has a recorded MIN/Max for the coolant temp in the history tab.
See what BUDS comes up with, before you start throwing parts at it.
Yea I guess Ill have to see if the dealer will let me borrow it. I got a buddy that knows how to use it properly

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did you figure it out? I have a 2011 Outlander 500 that I bought from a guy who claimed "it still runs".

After changing a few things I figured the temperature sensor wasn't sending the temp to the computer.

Changed the sensor, but fan still wasn't turning on.

I changed the smaller wiring harness and it works just fine now. Guessing there was a short or a bad connection somewhere.

My 650 fan wasn't kicking on and there was a corroded wire at the fuse block.

I've always hated wiring, because it can be so difficult to diagnose...doesn't help that my town is on a spit, and ocean water is everywhere...so bad corrosion is inevitable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you figure it out? I have a 2011 Outlander 500 that I bought from a guy who claimed "it still runs".

After changing a few things I figured the temperature sensor wasn't sending the temp to the computer.

Changed the sensor, but fan still wasn't turning on.

I changed the smaller wiring harness and it works just fine now. Guessing there was a short or a bad connection somewhere.

My 650 fan wasn't kicking on and there was a corroded wire at the fuse block.

I've always hated wiring, because it can be so difficult to diagnose...doesn't help that my town is on a spit, and ocean water is everywhere...so bad corrosion is inevitable.

Easy to digs wiring when u narrow it down it can only be 4 things
Short to power
Short to ground
Open
Resistance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.