Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
To the PIN & GRIN!
6,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
As with everything else, I like to run it for a bit and test it!

Do you need an oil cooler, no you don't!

Does it work, yes!

This what I have found, the oil runs at least 30 degree's hotter than the coolant. The oil cooler transfers that heat without the use of a fan or any other electrical device. It adds another quart of oil to the volume thus adding to more cooling capibility. I like were mine is mounted because it is out of the way and easy to clean. My rad fan runs way less which also aids with our poor charging system. If the fan is not running, it's not using juice. If you do lot's of sand riding, mud bogg'n and slow woods riding, the oil cooler helps. I have been trying to find a better rad and a better way to do it, I mean running the rad up top where it is easy to clean is probably the best but not for everyone!

Once again, do you require one, no but it works, lol.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
if this is the case then why would anyone be riding anything other than a bone stock machine and why would gohard or rene1 performance even exist.
haha seriously?? i was meaning that if the engine was going to have issues with out an oil cooler, as in shorter life expactancey or serious wear, they are definatly smart enough to of tested the engine with and with out coolers...well rotax would of tested them with and without coolers i am sure.

and for the record, there is NOTHING on mine or gohards site that a CAN_AM atv NEEDS!!. just added bonuses and luxury. and i am sure he would agree with me.
sure brp has few little things to improve on, but they are lightyears ahead of the competition.......

·
Registered
301 Posts
The way oil is tested today and the temp's its tested at i cant imagine that everytime you run your machine at 30 degree lower oil temp with a cooler it would really save your engine life. IE bearings,seals,jugs ect. Too me it's pointless! JMO

·
Registered
188 Posts
What I'm curious about is...Have anyone measured the oil temp before mounting this oil cooler? The oil is suppose to be hot, it is designed to work optimally at about 100 degree Celsius, every motor oil is. The oil is hottest under the piston and on the cylinder walls, on these places the oil can get way hotter but there is not much you can do to correct this. How do you know that you really need a oil cooler and is there a thermostat fitted too the system? Too cold oil is not good at all so if I could choose, I would prefer a little bit too hot oil rather than too cold(too cold oil would lead too acid build-up in the oil among a few things).

·
Registered
307 Posts
haha seriously?? i was meaning that if the engine was going to have issues with out an oil cooler, as in shorter life expactancey or serious wear, they are definatly smart enough to of tested the engine with and with out coolers...well rotax would of tested them with and without coolers i am sure.

and for the record, there is NOTHING on mine or gohards site that a CAN_AM atv NEEDS!!. just added bonuses and luxury. and i am sure he would agree with me.
sure brp has few little things to improve on, but they are lightyears ahead of the competition.......
I agree that can-am is lightyears ahead of the competition as far as features and design goes, however I believe there are quite a few issues that need to be addressed on the can-ams. I know that all atvs have there "issues" however from my experience can-am has a few that should have been addressed from factory before released (weak frame, leaking CVT cover, bad radiator design, etc...). Obviously these arent deal breakers for me just things I believe need to be addressed from the factory regardless of the application of the ATV. I believe that certain modification NEED to be made to the atv for its specific appilication. I dont understand how you can say that GHR should drop the cooler, the oil cooler is not to replace the atvs coolant system it is to help keep the oil consistant and within its proper operating temperature.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I agree that can-am is lightyears ahead of the competition as far as features and design goes, however I believe there are quite a few issues that need to be addressed on the can-ams. I know that all atvs have there "issues" however from my experience can-am has a few that should have been addressed from factory before released (weak frame, leaking CVT cover, bad radiator design, etc...). Obviously these arent deal breakers for me just things I believe need to be addressed from the factory regardless of the application of the ATV. I believe that certain modification NEED to be made to the atv for its specific appilication. I dont understand how you can say that GHR should drop the cooler, the oil cooler is not to replace the atvs coolant system it is to help keep the oil consistant and within its proper operating temperature.
I disagree with this one without a cooler and a up to temp engine you will keep the oil more consistant and within its proper operating temp, with a cooler your taking the hot oil out of engine cooling it down 30 degrees and sending it back where's the consistancy in that?

·
To the PIN & GRIN!
6,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
All very good points, I'm not using the cooler because I think that the oil needs to be cool, "I'm looking at the big picture" If you cool the oil, the engine run's cooler, yes the engine needs to run at a certain temperature but it still does! It is simply a mod to help with overall engine cooling!

It's not for everyone, but it you think that you could used some extra cooling, the oil cooler works. With the cooler the oil still runs 10-15 degree's hotter. It runs hoter than the oil temp in my truck! 30-40 degree's hotter than my truck!

It will be available for those who would like it!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I disagree with this one without a cooler and a up to temp engine you will keep the oil more consistant and within its proper operating temp, with a cooler your taking the hot oil out of engine cooling it down 30 degrees and sending it back where's the consistancy in that?
This may be the case, however if the oil in the engine is above the proper operating temp. then cooling it down to get the correct properties would be beneficial. all of this is based on a bunch of "what ifs". Extensive testing in many conditions and situations would be needed to find out all the facts.

·
Registered
301 Posts
This may be the case, however if the oil in the engine is above the proper operating temp. then cooling it down to get the correct properties would be beneficial. all of this is based on a bunch of "what ifs". Extensive testing in many conditions and situations would be needed to find out all the facts.
If you have above normal oil operating temp you have more issues to deal with then buying an oil cooler IMO.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I have tested the oil temp before the cooler is installed, and on a stock machine, the oil can get, like F419sr1 said, up to 240. After the cooler, it'll drop at least 30 degrees, depending on the cooler, and location it's mounted. The Rotax 800's come with a factory cooler inside the motor, around the factory filter. What happens is the oil gets so hot, it'll heat the water up hotter than it should be, using the factory cooler. After the external cooler, the oil is cooler, and the water runs cooler. A cooler motor makes more power, and the cooler is a help to this, if you want one, buy one, if you don't, then don't.

·
Team Bad Company
4,020 Posts
if you want one, buy one, if you don't, then don't.
X2, probably the smartest thing I've heard on this thread!!!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
These can ams run very hot whether you're stock or running a big block like me. I am VERY happy with my oil cooler, and I assure anyone that they won't be disappointed if they get it. The engine needs it. Heck, hondas have oil coolers, so if the farmers need them then.......I don't have to finish that, lol.

·
GO BIG OR GO HOME!
1,562 Posts
i haven't monitored temps, but i did install a LED on the display pod to let me know when the fan is running. and it runs ALOT! as GHR mentioned, that is more of a drain on an already undersized stator. i'm interested in the external filter/cooler but i wonder if the filter will be too tight of a fit with the renegade footwells. not sure if it was f419sr or not, but i thought someone made an adapter to run an oil filter in a remote location, rather than at the adapter itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guy's,

I am very happy with how my oil cooler kit perform's. If I was to put together a kit, would you be interested?

It drop's engine oil temps by about 30 degree's thus taking a bunch of strain off of your cooling system.
I have a 2021 Can AM renegade XMr 1000r I would like a quote on a complete oil cooling kit with a color changing temp gauge. Can you help me out. Thanks. .

21 - 40 of 40 Posts