Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone plated there new side by side.
Has NY passed a law where the new side x sides can be plated like a ATV.
If anyone can clear this up it would be a great help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
To Hell with that, I don't want it plated as a ATV with limited ridding area. I would like to see a plate that is more in the lines of a duel use on and off road. (ENDURO)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To Hell with that, I don't want it plated as a ATV with limited ridding area. I would like to see a plate that is more in the lines of a duel use on and off road. (ENDURO)
I agree but New York State, won't even let you ride it off your OWN property onless they changed the law.
Even then there are no legal riding areas in New York State.
If any one knows of any please post.

·
Registered
453 Posts
An all-terrain vehicle (ATV) is any self-propelled vehicle with two or more wheels that is manufactured for sale to be used primarily off-highway or in off-road competitions, and that is no wider than 70 inches and weighs no more than 1,000 pounds. This does not include vehicles manufactured for off-highway use and designed exclusively for travel on snow or ice, and supported by one or more skis, belts or cleats that utilize an endless belt tread. Those vehicles, which include snowmobiles, are subject to other laws and regulations.

This is off the NYS DMV site...sounds like as long as it doesn't weight more than 1000 lbs and wider than 70 inches...they are one and the same.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An all-terrain vehicle (ATV) is any self-propelled vehicle with two or more wheels that is manufactured for sale to be used primarily off-highway or in off-road competitions, and that is no wider than 70 inches and weighs no more than 1,000 pounds. This does not include vehicles manufactured for off-highway use and designed exclusively for travel on snow or ice, and supported by one or more skis, belts or cleats that utilize an endless belt tread. Those vehicles, which include snowmobiles, are subject to other laws and regulations.

This is off the NYS DMV site...sounds like as long as it doesn't weight more than 1000 lbs and wider than 70 inches...they are one and the same.
I believe that the weight limit WAS 800lb eliminateing most side by sides, this was in legislation to change.
Last year you could not get atv plate for razor mules ect.

·
Registered
453 Posts
They must've upped it to 1000 lbs...which should allow some more...probably not many, though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The cut off weight is 999lbs for ATVs in New York. Their was a bill to move weight limit up for SxS's but it has not been passed into law.The new Commander SXS on BRP website is listed as a On-Off road Vehicle.( could it be a loophole )

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From other sites

As far as the law goes ALL SxS are illegal in NYS except the Polaris RZR due to weight restrictions. ATVs must have a weight less than 900lbs and everything else is over that and cannot be registered in NY. Even if you are registered in Pa. You are illegal in the eyes of NYS by their code.
Last year there was confusion by the LEOs as to what was legal so they ticketed ALL SxS and got a lot of people pissed off.

Wayne

The problem is only UTVs under 1,000# are legal in NYS.

NYS residents though they found a loophole by registering in Pa. The state figured out what was happening and closed the loophole and at the same time decided to make an example out of the back door sneak by banning all UTVs with out of State registration just to be sure no one was cheating. So ina way I would blame the NY UTV owners for creating the problem by trying to cheat the laws.

A friend and I rode our RZR's in the snirt last year, left from Barnes Corners. Prepare to get stopped at every single check-point, get out of your vehicle and be tied up for 10 minutes plus. Both of ours were standard RZR's, I added different plastic and wheels/tires. My buddy added a long-travel kit and different wheels/tires. We had to explain they were not RZR-S's (they are over 1000#'s). Needless to say, I'm not even gonna bother this year....between the dirtbikes/sport 2wd wheelers getting stuck every 5 feet and the cops, we got in about 50 miles.

There is a bill and online petition to change the law: http://www.petitiononline.com/2888ATV/petition.html

But the lack of signatures on the petition shows that the New York ORV community is even too lazy to sign an on line petition.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Aubertine UTV Bill Passes Senate

Bill redefines ATV in state law to make side-by-side vehicles legal up to 1,500lbs

ALBANY (May 12, 2010)-The New York State Senate today passed by a 52-9 vote legislation sponsored by Sen. Aubertine (S.4277) that would allow all-terrain vehicle riders to legally register and ride utility trail vehicles on trail systems throughout the state.

"Allowing riders to legally register side-by-sides and other UTVs here in New York State gives many families and older riders new opportunities to use our trail systems and enjoy the outdoors with a passenger," Sen. Aubertine said. "This legislation will increase revenue for the state through new registrations, help our economy with increased sales, and help law enforcement deal with the growing popularity of these vehicles. Many riders have them on the trails now and register them in other states because they want to comply with the law in some way. This bill gives them that opportunity."

Law enforcement officials and riders from across the state, including Oswego, Jefferson and St. Lawrence counties, have asked Sen. Aubertine to carry this legislation. It would limit ATVs to 70 inches wide and increase the dry weight limit for ATVs from 1,000 lbs to 1,500 lbs, making side-by-sides and other utility terrain vehicles used on farms and for work purposes legal for registration with the state Department of Motor Vehicles. Like other ATVs, these vehicles would remain limited for use on trails and private property.

This increased weight limit for these slower vehicles would increase revenues brought in by registrations, open up markets for these vehicles and clear up confusion for law enforcement. The New York State Off-Highway Recreational Vehicle Association and the New York Farm Bureau support this bill.

"UTVs are popular for work on our farms, with seniors and families," Sen. Aubertine. "These are larger, but also slower vehicles, designed for off-road use that should be legal to register when other states, including Pennsylvania register these vehicles."

·
Super Moderator
8,708 Posts
new york state sucks
It's still better than New Jersey. All the registered ATV and snowmobiles in my great home state and NO legal places to ride at all. I've read lots of stuff were there is talk of getting it changed for you New Yorkers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's still better than New Jersey. All the registered ATV and snowmobiles in my great home state and NO legal places to ride at all. I've read lots of stuff were there is talk of getting it changed for you New Yorkers.
why dont they just formally change the name to a more appropriate state name [the VAMPIRE STATE] and be done with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
new york and pa. have full reciprocation on any registered vehicles with an issued license plate. this means atvs are ok, snowmobiles, not so much. if a new york resident registers their commander in pa, no problems. you get your pa plate, bolt it on. Go to Lewis county, NY (old forge/tug hill area), show them your current registration, proof of insurance, and they'll issue your permit. have fun!

·
Registered
273 Posts
new york and pa. have full reciprocation on any registered vehicles with an issued license plate. this means atvs are ok, snowmobiles, not so much. if a new york resident registers their commander in pa, no problems. you get your pa plate, bolt it on. Go to Lewis county, NY (old forge/tug hill area), show them your current registration, proof of insurance, and they'll issue your permit. have fun!
Well if you live near the albany area and your ride is reg & insured and want a legal place to ride i beleve are club is still looking for members

·
JBIRD
13,704 Posts
When i had my RHINO, my buddy at the dealer got me the MV-50 form from DMV and we wrote that it weight 996 lbs, some how it worked and i got a plate and registration for it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
Iv been told by a few officers to just stick a farm triangle on it and have insurance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts