Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I recently purchased a 2010 Outlander (with a 850 big bore). After two weeks riding it I got the message "Low Battery Voltage" showed up and shortly after my quad died. I also noticed that my DPS is always on. I cant switch to full power when backing up.

The latest thing I noticed (when I was riding my buddies 650), is that my power steering seams not to work. Has anybody an Idea what I would need to fix to solve my issues? Or are there any instructions how i can check (power steering, stator, rectifier, dps).

All I did so far was taking the back end apart and used electrical conduction grease to make sure that the connections (from and to the rectifier) are connected. I also checked the out put to the battery and it was showing me almost exactly 12V. Should't that be more between 13 and 14?

Then I am wondering, if my stator/alternator is not producing the right voltage, can that have any impact on my power steering and dps? I have to mention that neither are working after a full battery charge as well.

If anybody can hep me, I would be glad to hera from it.

Thank you all!

· Registered
5,435 Posts
Start by using a multimeter on your battery terminals when the bike is running.

You should have around 13.2 volts or higher at 4000 rpm. You should also be able to see a considerable raise in voltage when you go from idle to a higher rpm.

Pull your dipstick and smell the oil.

Does it smell like it is burnt? If yes, your stator is likely fried.

Voltage regulators rarely go bad unless you connect the battery terminals backwards.

You need a shop manual.

PM me your e-mail address and I will give you an electronic copy of it for free.

· Registered
125 Posts
Loose batter cables can cause all kinds of problems, tighten them first. Always use a battery tender. Bad batterys will do the same thing.
Also there was a power steering charge kit that could need changed out if it hasent already.
I read somewhere something about a real on 2010 and 2011 outlander for wires being to small and basically shutting off the dps . Would you know if that affects a 2012 xmr g1 chassis ? Iv had my dps shut down few times

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

· Footy
1,462 Posts
I read somewhere something about a real on 2010 and 2011 outlander for wires being to small and basically shutting off the dps . Would you know if that affects a 2012 xmr g1 chassis ? Iv had my dps shut down few times

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Yes. Check this connector under the seat and under the heat shield on the right side under the seat. Notice the wires are yellow on one side and brown on the other. Should be yellow on both sides of the connector. I just discovered this on my 2011 800 yesterday. Canam should have to fix everyone of these.

Attachments

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 can am outlander xmr 850 and I was getting the low voltage code and also the DPS would keep flashing and I wouldn't have power steering sometime. My battery would not stay charged neither with 12.3 volts coming into it. First off I changed the starter cylanoid and the DPS started working like it was new and quit flashing. Then I changed the regulator and I don't think that was the problem but i changed it anyway. And right now as I'm writing this I just got my stator out and I believe it is toast. Oh and I had to pull my starter out to because it was bad also. I got my starter ordered and my stator is fixing to get ordered in a few min. Once I get my parts in and on the bike I will update this for yall.

· Registered
25 Posts
How do you know your starter was bad with a weak battery? If you would test components instead of throwing parts at it you would save a load of money. What did you do with your old starter?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2 Posts
How do you know your starter was bad with a weak battery? If you would test components instead of throwing parts at it you would save a load of money. What did you do with your old starter?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
I knew the starter was going bad after I put the new cylanoid in and had a jumper box hooked to the battery and it wouldn't do anything but hum when u hit the start button. It would not spin the motor for anything. It would just hum. But now I've got all my new parts in and put on and everything works now. The battery is charging good and the starter is hitting every time I hit the start button. Got the new stator put in to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts