Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I wouldn't hold your breath on BRP coming out with any.
The Kewlmetal ones are VERY stock looking and are a great safety feature.

For $120 I'll take the safety over them not being 'BRP factory' parts any day. They really do make a big difference.

I'm a bit surprized that BRP didn't catch this also - but I'm not going to say they "couldn't get it right".

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've set back and read posts on here for a long time, and havent commented much however; I dont understand some of our fellow spyder riders here. We all love our spyders, or we wouldnt of bought one or would have sold it by now. A couple of people on here are so quick to jump on someone's posts with a sharp tounge. This forum has been great for new ideas and problems that have popped up. If a lot of people havent seen the need for the mirror extentions they wouldnt have been fabracated. I'm sure the only thing he meant by "couldnt get it right" is that BRP has been in the R and D stage of this wonderful product for 10-12 years, and you'd think that some of their riders would have suggested a small increase on the mirrors as the view hits most of us around the elbow. The other inch or two would make much clearer of a view. Do I think the extentions are a plus? Yes. Will I buy them, No. As I feel it wouldnt look as nice as the stock one. Would I purchase a whole new extention from BRP that was an inch or two longer? Yes. Would look stock and much better than extentions. I guess some people are just always looking to start an argument.
Its nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Take care
Just made a 250 miles trip, actually I don't care whats behind me
the mirrors are good enough to see the upcoming traffic from rear, so no need for me for extensions. However with extensions the visibility can be improved a lot so evereybodys own choice... Addosn made to improve something doesnt mean the original product is bad.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I think the extensions are needed, but I think the price is a bit high. I think BRP had to be aware of this and chose not to do anything about it. Just like the turn signal indicator on the dash; way To Small and a crapy design. There should be a separate Right & Left indicator for several reasons. Just think about it. This is a definite Safety issue. Besides being able to tell right away if you have a burned out bulb and what side while driving.
We are spending money that we should not have to. A FOOL & his money will soon be separated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've set back and read posts on here for a long time, and havent commented much however; I dont understand some of our fellow spyder riders here. We all love our spyders, or we wouldnt of bought one or would have sold it by now. A couple of people on here are so quick to jump on someone's posts with a sharp tounge. This forum has been great for new ideas and problems that have popped up. If a lot of people havent seen the need for the mirror extentions they wouldnt have been fabracated. I'm sure the only thing he meant by "couldnt get it right" is that BRP has been in the R and D stage of this wonderful product for 10-12 years, and you'd think that some of their riders would have suggested a small increase on the mirrors as the view hits most of us around the elbow. The other inch or two would make much clearer of a view. Do I think the extentions are a plus? Yes. Will I buy them, No. As I feel it wouldnt look as nice as the stock one. Would I purchase a whole new extention from BRP that was an inch or two longer? Yes. Would look stock and much better than extentions. I guess some people are just always looking to start an argument.
Its nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Take care
Since I started this "TIFF" I just want to say, I have worked with vehicle engineers in the motorcycle business for over 40 years. I know how hard headed they can be. Many folks who rode the test rides made suggestions about mirrors, peg and pedal positions, windshields etc. These changes were scoffed at in most casesd. I, much like the rest of the Spyder owner community think we made a great buying decision in the Spyder. It's critiques that improve products or create a flurishing after market. Happy riding !

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Many folks who rode the test rides made suggestions about mirrors, peg and pedal positions, windshields etc. These changes were scoffed at in most casesd.
Curious how you know they were scoffed at? The reason I ask is because I get all sorts of input from members about ways to "improve" our website, but most of the time their suggestion may be liked by some...but disliked by others or cause another issue they didn't think of. I suppose those making the suggestions may think I scoffed at their suggestions, but that's not the case.

The mirror issue is interesting. I have logged several hundred miles on Spyders and never noticed an issue...but then I heard folks talking about it here. Last weekend I sat on bc1540's Spyder to see if I was missing something. I still didn't see an issue, for me. So maybe it's the way folks sit or something different. My gut feel is the current set-up is probably correct and acceptable for "most".

·
Registered
993 Posts
I would say he probably said that because this is the 5th generation spyder. And minor details like this should of been well known by brp. and corrected. After several years of R&D.

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
I would say he probably said that because this is the 5th generation spyder. And minor details like this should of been well known by brp. and corrected. After several years of R&D.
I thought this was the 1st generation Spyder

...and you missed my point about it not seeming to be a problem with many owners.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm sure you are well aware of this. I'm just going buy what Marc Lacroix stated that it was the 5th generation Spyder. And been in development for 5 or 10 years. Little and small adjustments like this could of been made. I left it open for people in my previous post to just think about it. Because I wasn't going into all the minor details. For instance after that long of time of development it's hard to believe they didn't know about this. Like burn spot on muffler,mirrors,handle bars, etc. I'm not going to go any farther. All that needs to be done is Read the comments and suggestions on Spyder Rider. I was 1. of the first 20 or so on the comments on it. The same items came up over & over. I know I read the whole list.
I suggest you read it.

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
I'm sure you are well aware of this. I'm just going buy what Marc Lacroix stated that it was the 5th generation Spyder. And been in development for 5 or 10 years. Little and small adjustments like this could of been made. I left it open for people in my previous post to just think about it. Because I wasn't going into all the minor details. For instance after that long of time of development it's hard to believe they didn't know about this. Like burn spot on muffler,mirrors,handle bars, etc. I'm not going to go any farther. All that needs to be done is Read the comments and suggestions on Spyder Rider. I was 1. of the first 20 or so on the comments on it. The same items came up over & over. I know I read the whole list.
I suggest you read it.
Not exactly sure what you just said...I'll have to look for that list

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Highway peggers are the most likely ones to have issues. I am 6'2'' and really don't have a problem with the mirrors.
That's an interesting thought B1TTEN. I hadn't considered that because I'm not a peg fan on a Spyder. I suppose if you sit in a position they didn't design the mirrors for, it very well could change their effectiveness.

·
Registered
237 Posts
That's an interesting thought B1TTEN. I hadn't considered that because I'm not a peg fan on a Spyder. I suppose if you sit in a position they didn't design the mirrors for, it very well could change their effectiveness.
Naw, that was an issue way before I put my highway pegs on. My friend Ron was talking to one of the BRP guys in Daytona and they said they wanted to stick the mirrors out a little further but there was some other hoops they would have had to jump through and that would have held up production so they went with the max that they could at the time.

If you want to ride mine when you're in Gatlinburg you're welcome to and then you can see what you're missing.

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Naw, that was an issue way before I put my highway pegs on. My friend Ron was talking to one of the BRP guys in Daytona and they said they wanted to stick the mirrors out a little further but there was some other hoops they would have had to jump through and that would have held up production so they went with the max that they could at the time.

If you want to ride mine when you're in Gatlinburg you're welcome to and then you can see what you're missing.
Yeah, I would like to try that. Not sure about the "BRP guy in Daytona" though...I don't think they have any plans to alter.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'm 6' and my wife is 5'2", ditto for us. We see our hands, but not our shoulders.
-Scotty
I am 5' 61/2" and and Brian is 6'4" and I can see but not as well as I would like, with the stock. The same for Brian. We both see our shoulders and have to move out of our own way to keep a nice view behind us. I still plan on looking back when changing lanes or whatever, but I am a mirror driver, always have been. In a car I use my rearview as well as both side mirrors. I hauled a 28 ft horse trailer with my daughter for years and needed to rely on my side view mirrors for so much. I like having a view with my mirrors, so for me, these are a must. We ordered ours today.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts