Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up my '08 Outlander 650 XT last fall (2021) and the guy that bought it new said he never changed the oil and it has 4000 miles. That was my first clue that I shouldn't have bought it (I know) but it ran good at the price was right for a legal double-seater that my girlfriend and I could hit the trails with. Ran it for a whole weekend on the trails last fall without any issues (after I changed the oil and filter of course). So this weekend I was running it around the yard for hours, pulling my son on a sled because he loves it. Check engine light started flashing and "low oil, limp home mode" ran across the odometer screen. Was running ok at the time. Stopped to check the oil a few times, level was good, (didn't realize at the time that it meant low oil PRESSURE), so I kept running it figuring the oil level was good and maybe it was a bad sensor or something. After a bit, it snubbed itself out. It started hard, and on my way back to the garage it snubbed itself out again. Hard start again, felt like starter struggled to get pistons moving again so I'm assuming I was pretty close to seizing the whole damn thing up. Yikes! I know I'm a dipshit for continuing to run it with the flashing light, so roast me all you want, I deserve it. However, I'm actually here for advice. I'm assuming the shop is going to charge me a fortune and I'm fairly mechanically inclined so am thinking of tackling the project myself. I've checked forums and some say it could be a sump clogged with shredded plastic, maybe bearings going out, etc. It's definitely not just a bad sensor as there's clearly something wrong mechanically. Any suggestions on where I could start looking when I tear into the engine? In the first spot it snubbed out, there were a few drips of oil on the ground. Sorry for the book but figured the more details the better. Thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it is an 08 and the oil had never been changed I bet the guides are gone. Those years had bad guides to begin with and no oil changes just exaggerated the wear on them.

Pull valves covers and send me pictures of how far the tensioners are out.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.