Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I am new here. I have a 2018 Can Am Outlander 650 Max Xt. I recently replaced the bearings & seals on my rear differential as well as both U Joints on the rear drive shaft and the Yoke closest to the dif. During a slow test drive I noticed a sorta humming sound coming from my rear end. I jacked it up & the humming sound gets a lot louder during acceleration, but seems to go away when off the throttle……

Any info would be much appreciated as I really don’t want to rip the rear end appart again.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
i replaced a rear diff 3 years ago, it hummed pretty good on acceleration for about 1500 miles, i believe it was just breaking in. as long as its phased correctly and you have all the u-joint bolts and washers in tight, i would not worry.

·
Super Moderator
2,883 Posts
You said that you replaced both uni joints in the rear drive shaft.
Did you inadvertently reassemble the shaft out of phase?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info! I didn’t know anything about phasing. Watched a few videos, took a quick look at my drive shaft and just with my eye I can tell it is not right. Wondering now how I would have thrown it out of sync? Also will I need to remove the drive shaft to phase it properly or is there a trick? I’m thinking maybe I just have to take it out of the rear diff and leave the gear box side alone….I will likely look at it early next week.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I would take it out and make sure its straight and not bent, that way you can also make sure you reassemble it in the correct center spline as well because if that spline is off it will cause the same issue as you just dealt with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts