Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy a bbk for my 1000 and my deciding factor will be the bore size available and gasket type. Whats the largest bore size in the conventional style gasket before going to the phuzion 2 piece style gaskets? I dont want the 2 piece over priced($140 each retail) style. Is 97mm the biggest? What brands of gaskets are there just cometic? What about a copper style. Are wire grooves required cut in the cylinders to seal a copper style?I dont mind a little seepage just dont want to tear the heads off a million times changing them out all the time for a complete blow out.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The gaskets Cometic or Phuzion are fuse. It will limit the damage in your engine in case of anomalies.

The copper style does not offer this choice, the damage will be bigger and more expensive.

The choice is not easy, I agree.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Yep, 97 is about it, Cometic is it for racing gaskets.

Copper is best for high pressure sealing, but will start to leak combustion over time. They also require a groove & ring to work. This is what the highest power engines in the world use, ie, Top Fuel, Top alcohol, etc. but these motors do not have water to worry about.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are the fcp 940 98mm bore cylinders using a conventional head gasket? I always thought 97mm was it? Or do they use a 97 gasket and let it hang over in the bore?

What are you 98mm bore guys using?

My new cylinders are 97mm and knowing me they will need bored at some point soon

·
Registered
592 Posts
Are the fcp 940 98mm bore cylinders using a conventional head gasket? I always thought 97mm was it? Or do they use a 97 gasket and let it hang over in the bore?

What are you 98mm bore guys using?

My new cylinders are 97mm and knowing me they will need bored at some point soon
This question got me thinking so I called Cometic and they discontinued that stupid Fusion ringed gasket, now its just whatever bore ya want and thickness. 46.00 per!! nice

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
This question got me thinking so I called Cometic and they discontinued that stupid Fusion ringed gasket, now its just whatever bore ya want and thickness. 46.00 per!! nice
The largest bore in a MLS gasket is 97mm. They have a different style for the larger bore units, since they discontinued their whole line of fusion gaskets.

The problem with any larger in MLS, is the fact that MLS requires a wider sealing surface to work, where the Fusion didn't.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The largest bore in a MLS gasket is 96mm. They have a different style for the larger bore units, since they discontinued their whole line of fusion gaskets.

The problem with any larger in MLS, is the fact that MLS requires a wider sealing surface to work, where the Fusion didn't.
So then whats the replacement plan?

·
Registered
592 Posts
They're supposed to be gettin' back with me on that. We'll see what they come up with.
I got the number to Garlock they make were distributing the fusion to Cometic. Waiting for a phone call back.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I got some Phuzion rings from Cometic on time that were too small, would hang in the cylinder! I sent them back & they made them good, it was a QC issue with Garlock, Maybe they fell out over quality? IDK?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The largest bore in a MLS gasket is 96mm. They have a different style for the larger bore units, since they discontinued their whole line of fusion gaskets.

Thats funny because i bought a set of 97mm mls gaskets right from you?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have an extra phuzion gasket for a 975 if any one needs a spare. $85 retail is $140.
A pair or single? Im in need of a pair.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts