Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
I'm awesome
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few months ago we got a flyer in the mail for a local person to do a garage floor coating for us. We had him come out for a bid and it ended up being close to $2,000 for my 2 car garage..... Ummm NO thanks. Decided to buy my own kit and try my luck. Also gave me a reason to buy a new 2700 psi power washer

So I went with the Shield Crete kit from Sherwin Williams. The hardest part is prepping the floor. I degreased, etched, degreased, and power washed a total of 4x.

Today I finally put on the kit. Tomorrow the clear coat protectant with anti-skid additive goes on. The kit and clear coat cost me a total of $186.00 with my 30% discount at Sherwin Williams. Can't wait to see how it holds up. I felt I really prepped the floor to the best of my ability. Here's some before and after pics

OH and I bought myself some new banners to hang in the garage. $39/each shipped off ebay

Before

After

Banners

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Very cool. I did not do my floor in the shop. I was going to and really wanted to do it up special, but time and money were taking their toll. But the deciding factor was the compact utility tractor with the loader that's parking in there would tear up anything I put down. That metal loader is pretty rough on things. I guess I still could some day.

·
I'm awesome
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah I plan on putting down some carper squares where I store my small metal things that leave marks (snow blower, mower, etc.) I suppose if you had a finished floor and had to keep something big on one of the sides you could put down some seasonal carpet. Would stink to cover up a nice finish though

·
JBIRD
13,704 Posts
Very nice Tom, you do nice work, looks professional. I too did my garage floors, but with epoxytech, came out sweet. By the way, if you need a hand straightening out those outlet covers and throwing some fresh paint on the walls, just give me a call, i'll come over. Haha

·
I'm awesome
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL Covers are straight, just the angle of the picture. Pulling off trim and repainting. Not bothering with the walls, just putting banners and pictures up haha. I did patch a 2 foot hole in my wall from where I rammed it with my renegade tire 2 winters ago.

Jay, did you put the epoxy tech down yourself? Hows it holding up?

·
JBIRD
13,704 Posts
LOL Covers are straight, just the angle of the picture. Pulling off trim and repainting. Not bothering with the walls, just putting banners and pictures up haha. I did patch a 2 foot hole in my wall from where I rammed it with my renegade tire 2 winters ago.

Jay, did you put the epoxy tech down yourself? Hows it holding up?
I had a company come in and install it and after 6 years, it still looks new. The only cleaner i can use on it is hot water and ammonia, that's it, otherwise it will turn a whitish color. I wash the floors twice a year, beginning of Spring and right before Winter. It's funny, i have the same Can Am banner as you, but in yellow. Speaking of ramming a wall, i did it 3 times in my garage, epoxy and snow don't mix Hehe.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I would really like to do this to my garage floor, my only issue is my garage doesn't have any drains...therefore most of the moisture that falls off of the vehicles "soaks" through the concrete...if I were to put one of these coats on, it would either make the water pool somewhere, or it would flake apart in no time. I don't think there is a vapor barrier underneath the concrete. I would be constantly squeegeeing to get the water out during the winter...

It looks really good though!

·
JBIRD
13,704 Posts
I would really like to do this to my garage floor, my only issue is my garage doesn't have any drains...therefore most of the moisture that falls off of the vehicles "soaks" through the concrete...if I were to put one of these coats on, it would either make the water pool somewhere, or it would flake apart in no time. I don't think there is a vapor barrier underneath the concrete. I would be constantly squeegeeing to get the water out during the winter...

Water will dry fast on these floors, especially in the summer and if you have a garage heater, even better. Also if you install tire runners, that will trap a lot of the water.

·
I'm awesome
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The banners are from a guy on Ebay. He makes lots of custom banners. Nice quality, fast shipping. Well worth the $39/shipped that I paid.

Yeah mine recommended easy clean up with water and squeegee. I don't plan on having any daily drivers in the garage so not to worried about getting it dirty. I do want to put better lighting and more storage racks in the garage. I have the craftsman professional work bench, wall cabinet, and full cabinet but those fill up fast. Really like stuff on the walls and off the floor.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Water will dry fast on these floors, especially in the summer and if you have a garage heater, even better. Also if you install tire runners, that will trap a lot of the water.
Yeah, I was more referring to winter when all the snow and such accumulates on the car and then melts off when you have it in the garage...being from NY, you know what I am talking about...its surprising how much a full size truck and SUV hold snow!

·
Mr Fix It
3,903 Posts

How old is your house?... I believe most, for at least the past 15 years) have been built with a slight slope so that water will run out. I know every house I've owned thus far (3) are that way.

For my house in Michigan, I did the Rustoleum Epoxy - looked exactly like Tommy's. Loved the black, blue, and white paint chips. I never put a clear coat over it, and it held up extremely well. The only places that peeled were right under the car tires, and though it peeled, it looked more like small chips, most you could cover up with a pencil eraser. For the daily drivers goin in with hot tires, it did well.

Again Tommy, looks great. With the crap house I'm in now, I couldn't care less about coating the floor, lol... I sooooo miss my house in Michigan.

·
JBIRD
13,704 Posts
Yeah, I was more referring to winter when all the snow and such accumulates on the car and then melts off when you have it in the garage...being from NY, you know what I am talking about...its surprising how much a full size truck and SUV hold snow!
Oh i know LOL. I've had my fair share of brown slush on the garage floor haha, most of it get's trapped on the tire runners though.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
How old is your house?... I believe most, for at least the past 15 years) have been built with a slight slope so that water will run out. I know every house I've owned thus far (3) are that way.

For my house in Michigan, I did the Rustoleum Epoxy - looked exactly like Tommy's. Loved the black, blue, and white paint chips. I never put a clear coat over it, and it held up extremely well. The only places that peeled were right under the car tires, and though it peeled, it looked more like small chips, most you could cover up with a pencil eraser. For the daily drivers goin in with hot tires, it did well.

Again Tommy, looks great. With the crap house I'm in now, I couldn't care less about coating the floor, lol... I sooooo miss my house in Michigan.
my house was built in '04, for some reason, water runs towards my house and pools up right in front of the entry door in my garage...quite annoying!

·
Wanting a 2012 Renegade 800R XXC
1,478 Posts
Looks great Tommy! my wife has wanted me to do my garage floor, but I have been too lazy, should have done it when I bought the house. So if you are prepping the garage, what are you bringing home. Most people prep a nursery when bringing home a new baby, but you are prepping a garage....new can-am?

·
I'm awesome
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks great Tommy! my wife has wanted me to do my garage floor, but I have been too lazy, should have done it when I bought the house. So if you are prepping the garage, what are you bringing home. Most people prep a nursery when bringing home a new baby, but you are prepping a garage....new can-am?
Haha thanks Murph. Yeah I'm hoping to have a nice shiny DS 450 xxc in it soon. I really wanted it done since I'm now storing/working on/driving my dad's 1970 Pontiac GTO

1 - 20 of 45 Posts