Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on a quest to find a company that still makes a rear diff brace for G1 Outlanders...I have found that Rubberdown Customs in Canada still makes these (thanks 25th!).

For those of you that are running rear diff braces...Do I need to remove the factory rear hitch bracket in order to run this? I still need to use my rear hitch to pull my yard trailer...

7c3c7c28d7ff72ba544808b3b50a4950.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
W. F. O.
5,318 Posts
There are these braces too that a friend makes 3 hrs from me here in Canada. G1 braces on a renegade

Attachments

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
The ricochet skids do need modded a bit to fit if you have those
Next time you get a chance...can you snap me a pic of where you had to mod that rear skid...?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are these braces too that a friend makes 3 hrs from me here in Canada. G1 braces on a renegade
Kwik...I tried to PM you...says you aren't taking messages...

·
W. F. O.
5,318 Posts
Oh! I will look at that. Never knew. Never changed any settings. That's odd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
W. F. O.
5,318 Posts
my inbox was full... lol .. its empty now.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Both my tabs were pretty much shot and both sides were cracked at the seam St8e. So i just ground them off and took it to the welder to put a reinforcement plate on the bottom and on the tail piece. if your was in good shape you could probably get away with just cutting a piece out where that lower lip is and it would be good.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool...thanks, Kev...

·
Footy
1,500 Posts
I ran into the same issue with the RD brace. It will not fit with ricochet skid plate unless you modify it as 25th said. Also I ran into issues with the Intrusion bar. In my case the trailer hitch is used to help support the skid plate after modifying for the RD brace.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I figured there would be some modification with all this stuff...appreciate the pics...at least I now know what I am going to have to do now!

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I figured there would be some modification with all this stuff...appreciate the pics...at least I now know what I am going to have to do now!

Very true! I don't think i have ever bought one aftermarket part that could just be bolted on with out some sort of modification, to get it to fit right or work correctly.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts

st8e. May I ask why you want a diff brace?

Seriously, I am not being a smarta$$.

You have a stock '09 rear diff. An inferior diff.

No matter what you do, the pilot bearing journal on the pinion gear is going to go out, it is going to ruin the pinion gear and pilot bearing.

I have gone through a wheelbarrow load of rear diffs and they are all the same unless you get the newest "superceded part number" rear diff that has an oversized needle bearing on the pinion pilot.

If you want to beef that portion of your bike up:

Sell your diff before it blows. You can get $300 every day of the week.

Install a new rear diff.

Better yet:

Install a 14-up commander diff with machined ring gear and be done with it forever.

·
W. F. O.
5,318 Posts
That is true what Joe is saying there. IF you get the new G1 diff that replaces the old G1 diff from BRP and then open it up and change the ring and pinion from whats in there to a commander ring and pinion , it becomes pretty bullet proof. Re set the lash and your done. This is what i run now for a while. Mud n Wheels, here in Canada does this to this new G1 diff and calls it there G1 rev series diff.

Although imo its good to run a diff brace no matter what diff. It does add strength to the whole rear diff area.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
st8e. May I ask why you want a diff brace?

Seriously, I am not being a smart#%*.

You have a stock '09 rear diff. An inferior diff.

No matter what you do, the pilot bearing journal on the pinion gear is going to go out, it is going to ruin the pinion gear and pilot bearing.

I have gone through a wheelbarrow load of rear diffs and they are all the same unless you get the newest "superceded part number" rear diff that has an oversized needle bearing on the pinion pilot.

If you want to beef that portion of your bike up:

Sell your diff before it blows. You can get $300 every day of the week.

Install a new rear diff.

Better yet:

Install a 14-up commander diff with machined ring gear and be done with it forever.
Seriously considering the new rear diff on my Rene re-build. The machine has 6000 miles on it now, how long are the diffs typically lasting with proper maintenance Joe?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
That is true what Joe is saying there. IF you get the new G1 diff that replaces the old G1 diff from BRP and then open it up and change the ring and pinion from whats in there to a commander ring and pinion , it becomes pretty bullet proof. Re set the lash and your done. This is what i run now for a while. Mud n Wheels, here in Canada does this to this new G1 diff and calls it there G1 rev series diff.

Although imo its good to run a diff brace no matter what diff. It does add strength to the whole rear diff area.
If someone were to do the Mud n Wheels G1 updated rear diff, is there anything else like the rear drive shaft that needs replaced too. or is this just a direct replacement swap, all other parts are fine?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts