Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to buy a used Outlander, and the guy tells me that he just replaced to fuel pump, and then continue to say that now, for some reason, the electronic gas guage on the cluster won't work anymore. Everything else on the cluster works fine, just the gas guage won't work. He didn't have a clue on how the mechanic did that. The mechanic said there is still juice in the gas guage wire, but they can't seem to find the issue. I like the machine, but without a gas guage, I won't buy it. Any suggestions on what could be the issue ? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
Any suggestions on what could be the issue ? Thanks.
The person that did the job, didn't take care to ensure the float arm went back in the right place and it's jammed in place.
The pump will need to be taken back out to sort it.
You don't mention the age of the machine, so I can't help any further.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The person that did the job, didn't take care to ensure the float arm went back in the right place and it's jammed in place.
The pump will need to be taken back out to sort it.
You don't mention the age of the machine, so I can't help any further.
Sorry about that. It's a 2008 Outlander 650 MaxXT, with about 10,000 miles on it. So would this be an expensive thing to repair ? I didn't realize that seeing the gas guage is electronic, it still would be a physical float.
Thanks so much for your input.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
The 2008 models have the fuel pump mounted in the very bottom of the fuel tank. To fix the problem, the fuel tank needs to be removed from the bike.
The removal of the pump etc to free up the float arm is not really hard, but you need to be careful to get it right.
This pic will give you an idea of what it all looks like. The float arm is near the #19 and can get jammed on the side of the tank.

Font Parallel Schematic Slope Auto part

1 - 4 of 4 Posts