Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I let a friend borrow my outlander 650 last weekend and he brought it back last night. He unloaded it off the trailer and parked it in the yard. Then a few hours later I went to put it away in the shed and it took off fine and then I got off to unlock and open the shed door and then I hit the throttle and nothing just RPMs.. I tried shifting into low and same then reverse and the same... I finally just gave it more gas and it finally took off into the shed.

Also, when I first turned the key on the display said Maintience required? any help as the nearest dealer is 3 hours away...

·
Registered
721 Posts
you made three mistakes... 1, you let a friend borrow your bike, 2, you let a friend borrow your bike, and 3, you let your friend borrow your ride! nothin wrong with buds i gotta bunch but they can get there own damn 4 wheeler! been burned here too many times :hairout:

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Wow, great advice Willy. On a serious note, the main required message is normal and was prob on the display. The dealer can have it reset using the BUDS computer at the dealership. Most of us just don't bother resetting it. The belt is slipping on your machine. It could just be wet, or your buddy got into some mud or was pulling someone in high gear and smoked the belt. If he smoked it to the point where it is now out of tolerance it will just slip in the clutches. At a minimum your clutch cover needs pulled, your clutches need inspected and your belt needs to be looked at. This is something you can do on your own. Just look up the procedure here, or get yourself an online service manual and follow the steps. Don't panic, its prob not that big a deal. A new belt however will cost you about 70-110 bucks depending on what you buy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have a new belt.. I take one with me into the woods.. I figured that was the problem. I will get in into the garage and take the cover off. So the Main required message came from the belt slipping? Thanks for the response

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the cover off and everything seems dry.. it didnt slip on start up.. after about 3 minutes of riding and then let it idle today and tried to pull in the garage.. The belt looks fine.. is there a how to somewhere on the site or a website I can go to? or if someone wants to call me 765-524-1836.. I am going on a ride next weekend and would like to resolve this asap..

Thanks

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Are the edges of the belt "shiny"?
Inside of the primary's sheaves "shiny"?
Your bud probably was climbing hills / working the machine in hi with a little less throttle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is what I am thinking happened... I have a belt to try to throw on but I do not know how to do that.. I have googled for videos but have not found anything descriptive enough for my skill set

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Look in your tool kit for the little threaded thingy .
Thread the end into the secondary to spread it , once the secondary is open remove the belt .
You can use a bolt , I'm not sure of the correct size / pitch.
I'm sure someone will chime in.
If you go to YouTube & search " CanAm belt change" you'll get a video.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it thanks for the help!.. Now just have to not let anyone ride the 650 anymore.. Lesson learned.. The sad part is I knew better. But the guy has always helped me with projects in the past. At least it was only a $75 fix.. and now I know how to change a belt if it goes while riding.. So it was not such a bad thing..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts