Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new into the atv seen(and canam talk) but I have been on snowmobiles and dirt bikes for quite a while. So with that being said I should also tell you that I am not even close to being a gear head!!! But This is my situation. I purchased a 2011 outty 800 XTP about 2-weeks ago and so far have put on only about 20 miles. My question is, is there supposed to be a clunk sound in the drive train almost every time you hit the throttle. To me it sounds like the belt sheaves clunking! against the belt. Is this normal or is something out of adjustment? Another is that when I'm on a bumpy/choppy trail and I'm coming into a corner at a pretty good speed and get on the brakes pretty hard, it sounds like the belt is slapping the hell out of the clutches! or at least that is what I think it is!!. I talked to my dealer about this and he said that all this is normal. What do you guys think? any input on this problem? is greatly appreciated.
thanks guys.

by the way, other than these clunking/slapping sounds this S.O.B is badASS!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm new into the atv seen(and canam talk) but I have been on snowmobiles and dirt bikes for quite a while. So with that being said I should also tell you that I am not even close to being a gear head!!! But This is my situation. I purchased a 2011 outty 800 XTP about 2-weeks ago and so far have put on only about 20 miles. My question is, is there supposed to be a clunk sound in the drive train almost every time you hit the throttle. To me it sounds like the belt sheaves clunking! against the belt. Is this normal or is something out of adjustment? Another is that when I'm on a bumpy/choppy trail and I'm coming into a corner at a pretty good speed and get on the brakes pretty hard, it sounds like the belt is slapping the hell out of the clutches! or at least that is what I think it is!!. I talked to my dealer about this and he said that all this is normal. What do you guys think? any input on this problem? is greatly appreciated.
thanks guys.

by the way, other than these clunking/slapping sounds this S.O.B is badASS!!!
I had the same sounds. I put a Dalton Clutch kit in it and the noise is almost all gone.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I had the same sounds. I put a Dalton Clutch kit in it and the noise is almost all gone.
The driveline clunk is probably the helix in the secondary clutch. It happens when you take the slack out of it, or put slack in it, both with getting into or out of the throttle. It is annoying but it is normal.
The brake squeal it the most annoying thing about owning a can-am. They all do it and it is worse when the brakes are wet. ?Unfortunately......it is normal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine also makes the clunking sound. When I wear my helmet I can't really hear it as bad, but when I'm just riding around checking trail cams I hear it drives me nuts.
Dealer told me normal, but I still don't like it.

·
Doh!
2,259 Posts
add a clutch kit...that takes it out..like cruzman said...

we have tested it and it worked...higher the engagment the less the noise...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question I just bought two xmrs 570 2018 models I replaced the rear diff on one due to bad gears but when I give it gas or back off it clunks can’t tell where from exactly but only one xmr does it I read above where it is normal and that’s fine but the noise sounds destructive and since I just bought I wanted to know if the saying is a light clunking or load and also as above only does it getting in or off the throttle like said I read above but want to know the severity of the noise y’all are talking about does it sound like shit is breaking lolthanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts