Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, me and a good friend have had some real serious discusions about building a bike and heading south for a life time experience endurance desert raceing. vegas to reno is what we have in mind. ...NEXT year not in 3 weeks haha.

this kind of thing would be insanly expensive to do from canada...travel and such adds greatly to the event. and traveling all that way, we wanna be prepared for anything...basiclly with a second bike in parts ready to rock!. were talking 15g + in getting the bike ready and spare tires/wheels parts. we would probably run my renegade, and that would be de tuneing the engine for heat/endurance issues. 1000 with compresion is plenty fast. its got decent suspension on it but would definatly need so stuff to run 500 miles through hell non stop.

been reading alot, and learning alot about rules and how the entire event works, and everything about it gets me excited.
the only thing, and to me its a big thing....raceing with the throphy trucks scares the sh&% out of me!. i have wathced a million baja videos and the trucks are like 100mph bull dozers.

lets say all the money/parts/bikes stuff was taken care of....would YOU race it? desert raceing is the top of the offroad raceing world....eat or be eaten!. if it was just quads/bikes on the track... game on, but i got serious reservations about raceing with the trucks.....maybe im just a poudy tat but still, i don;lt want to die trying to check off something on my bucket list....

·
W. F. O.
5,319 Posts
Well, Mike Penland's team of Micheal Swift and one other fellow (cant remember who again) just won the Baja 500, about a month ago here.. i think there is a write up in the racing section.. Penland is the one you should be talkin too.. He's won a lot of dessert racin over his carreer...He's a super nice guy and would definetly give you some good advice.. very aproachable man...

·
JBIRD
13,704 Posts
Well, Mike Penland's team of Micheal Swift and one other fellow (cant remember who again) just won the Baja 500, about a month ago here.. i think there is a write up in the racing section.. Penland is the one you should be talkin too.. He's won a lot of dessert racin over his carreer...He's a super nice guy and would definetly give you some good advice.. very aproachable man...
X2^^^^ you could also PM Cecco, not only did he run the Vegas to Reno, he won it.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
well, rene1 was here but didn't post? maybe he is a wuss? haha. R to V off-road is around 20hrs. so there will be night riding. the quad will likly be fine. its all about the rider. if you think you are gonna be breaking the quad and wrenchin' on it forget about it. if you even bend a rim or such you will be crying like a baby samquench and lighting a flare for the rescue chopper.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Yeah maybe I'll start a private convo with rick if he don't post up. I got a 1000 questions about pits and pit crews and what not. We got a pretty good handle on what we wanna do to the bike.

.... First thing to start with if we pull the trigger... Gym membership! Haha

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
i believe the best excercise is riding. some cardio work is always good if you can't ride.

one thing Rick may not be able to tell you is how to find pit folks who will stand in the desert for HOURS waiting for your arse to show up?

its a tough thing. waiting and wondering. and not drinking all the beer and falling asleep. LOL

Tire Wheel Jeans Sky Helmet

Attachments

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats just one of the things.... We were wonder about put crews, we're gunna be 2 riders, have our wives drive the truck and trailer from pit to pit with all our stuff.... They already agreed to it more or less haha.

Any ideas we have now are at the upmost earliest stages of planning... This is why I got 1000 questions to ask

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
wives, girlfriends and parents freak-out easily. best to leave 'em at the motel.

also you will leave the line at timed intervals, so if you wait for your bud you will lose alot of time. so it sounds like you just want to do a desert ride?

and there is nothing wrong with that. you will have alot of company...at the start.

one vid of the R to V vid i saw really cracked me up. a dude started the race in full moto garb, then pulled over 100yds later and passed the quad to a jockey in the same get-up. the dude "finished" the race and took the photo op. haha you will meet all kinds.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wives, girlfriends and parents freak-out easily. best to leave 'em at the motel.

also you will leave the line at timed intervals, so if you wait for your bud you will lose alot of time. so it sounds like you just want to do a desert ride?

and there is nothing wrong with that. you will have alot of company...at the start.

one vid of the R to V vid i saw really cracked me up. a dude started the race in full moto garb, then pulled over 100yds later and passed the quad to a jockey in the same get-up. the dude "finished" the race and took the photo op. haha you will meet all kinds.
2 rider team.. Swap riders at every pit. His wife races motocross with the guys on a moded to death 450 Honda and does very very well.... And my wife is all over the idea.., no worries about them freaking out... Ask my wife, I'm the one that freaks out lmao.

It would be our first race so we would be in the amiture class, and this year there is only 4 teams entered in that class... So yeah the first time is more or less a desert ride! Obviously finishing is #1 priority as rookies. But a podium may not be that hard as you just got to finish the race haha.

·
Desert Runner
2,188 Posts
Go for it, sure will test your limits.

Trading off as a team will help big time. But be forewarned, going as hard as you can for one hour, much less two or three, will be tough.

I did the Vegas 300 few years ago, just a measly 200 miles for the Ironman class. I wanted to quit after the first 66 mile lap, which took 2 hours. It was the 3-4' Trophy truck whoops that killed me.

I did finish, and ended up taking first(and last) in the amateur class. No flats, but did break one rear A arm on my Kingquad about a mile out from the finish. Just limped it in.

I was able to get away with one pit at the start/finish. I had a few buddies with their wives and they worked out great.

Yes, get conditioned, your arms will take a beating. Dust, there will be dust, lots of dust, dust is everywhere.

PM Bajagader, I think that is his name. He did it last year and barely finished solo.

This a time trial, you have to just focus on finishing. Don't worry about anybody passing you, they are racing their own race. Just keep your steady pace. Although, when you do catch up to someone, it gives you a rush, at least gives you the feeling that you not going to be the last one in.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
cool pic.
that kind of stuff happens about 1 mile in. where all the spectators are. after that it is you and 499 miles of nothing. keep on track or you won't find the pits. sucks to run out of fuel. i broke a drivechain once. pushed the bike all afternoon to find a high spot. my buds actually rode around me a few times but couldn't hear me over their pipes. part of the adventure.

·
JBIRD
13,704 Posts
That's funny, i was going to tell you to PM FTR and Bajagader also. Amos, maybe you should do a trip out there first and ride, just to get a feel for things. Maybe i'll fly out there to spectate or even give you a hand, always wanted to check out that desert race. When i was down in Cabo Mexico, i was talking with one of the drivers from our hotel, he does most of the desert races down there including the Baja 500 and 1000, he runs a Suzuki LTR 450. Every where you look when your down in Mexico, especially the Cabo area, there are trails everywhere, it's insane.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Do yourself a big favor and brush up on the native "wild life" hiding under the sand down there. When the sun goes down the creepy claw-lees come out!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well aside from me being a pussy, the only major obsticle is money....and lots of it. but i got a couple pretty cool fund raiseing ideas. and my buddy has some sposor ship ideas....hes got a race resume to flaunt....i got nothing worth telling anyone about.

1 major idea was to buy a outlander and raffle it off...brand new. $10 a ticket..."can-am for xmas". proceed go towards the race.
...just an idea

·
Registered
642 Posts
well aside from me being a pussy, the only major obsticle is money....and lots of it. but i got a couple pretty cool fund raiseing ideas. and my buddy has some sposor ship ideas....hes got a race resume to flaunt....i got nothing worth telling anyone about.

1 major idea was to buy a outlander and raffle it off...brand new. $10 a ticket..."can-am for xmas". proceed go towards the race.
...just an idea
Nah, do something like a R1P make over to your CanAm. BB motor, tuned, clutched, a few tricks, cleaned up and ready to rip.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts