Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i went out to start me outlander and when i turned the key the messages read communication failure the last time that i used the quad i was plowing snow and i got a low bat. message so i putit on a trickle charge for about 6 hrs any ideas would be great

·
Registered
77 Posts
today i went out to start me outlander and when i turned the key the messages read communication failure the last time that i used the quad i was plowing snow and i got a low bat. message so i putit on a trickle charge for about 6 hrs any ideas would be great
No sorry no ideas but let us know what you find. Thats one ive never heard of.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I get the same message when I use my winch. just touching the winch button stalls my quad and it says communication failure. I think I have a shorted wire somewhere??? Will play around with it in the next week or so. Let me know if you find out what the problem is, and I will post as well when I find something. thanks.

·
Registered
800 Posts
good chance you are experiencing battery failure. Replace with the physically larger "18" series. Double check your battery post connections, they seem to work themselves loose.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Keep it simple first. Check the battery cables and make sure there is a really good ground. Clean the connections even if they "look" good. I seem to remember reading something about someone else having the same problem and it was the connections. I could be wrong.

Then I would check all the other connectors for water or dirt just in case.

Good luck and post with your solution so we all can help others. Thanks.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Like someone said before keep it simple to start. I initially got on this forum because i was getting a limp home error randomly i might add. this link helped me out. 3 connections on the right side of the machine one of which was loose, cleaned them out, dielectric grease and good to go. i didn't think it could have been so simple, but if that doesn't work for you i would clean out ALL connections and dielectric grease all of them just to be safe. Probably just got moisture where it shouldn't be. Just my 2 cents but who knows could work, and you won't have to take it to dealer.

connection to clean

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I get the same message when I use my winch. just touching the winch button stalls my quad and it says communication failure. I think I have a shorted wire somewhere??? Will play around with it in the next week or so. Let me know if you find out what the problem is, and I will post as well when I find something. thanks.
I just wrote a huge post on this and then I tried to use the spell check for the first time and lost it all.
So this is going to be a quick version.

This is a classic case of a poor connection. When you touch the winch button is puts an extra load on the wiring and if there is a poor connection from the power source it will cause most/all of the voltage to drop across the poor connection. This is techinically an OPEN but is often incorrectly referred to as a SHORT. A short across the power supply (+ to -) could cause the same type of symptom depending on the battery condition and many other factors. However, typically a short will cause a blown fuse or worse a melted wire.

This temporaily open , or loss of power to the ECM while running will cause a loss in communication. It's almost as if the battery and the stator were disconnected for a moment.

I would get this fixed as soon as possible as the voltage drop to the ECM could damage it and you wouldn't want that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you for the help i found that it was a loose connection at the battery so thank you for all of the help

·
Registered
330 Posts
Today I checked all my connections and everything is good. I also tested this: with key on and engine off, I can use the winch no problem. but with engine running, as soon as i touch the winch line in or out the quad stalls and communication failure appears. I put a volt meter on the battery and it reads 12.10 with quad off and 13.87 while running. This is a brand new deka "20". my quad is a 09 gade 500 and using a warn XT25.

any other ideas??

thanks

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well I figured out my problem. simple solution that should not have happened but anyways...

The positive cable has tabs meant to fit over the post of the battery but the deka has a larger post than the stock which does not allow the tabs to fit over top of it. So i bent the tab on the cable so it would sit flush on the deka post.

the connection was tight and clean but there was minimal contact due to the tab on the cable, so watch out for that when installing your deka battery! Now i can use my winch with the lights on and hand warmers on sitting at idle and everything works fine.

Iphone_pics_041.JPG Iphone_pics_039.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Well I figured out my problem. simple solution that should not have happened but anyways...

The positive cable has tabs meant to fit over the post of the battery but the deka has a larger post than the stock which does not allow the tabs to fit over top of it. So i bent the tab on the cable so it would sit flush on the deka post.

the connection was tight and clean but there was minimal contact due to the tab on the cable, so watch out for that when installing your deka battery! Now i can use my winch with the lights on and hand warmers on sitting at idle and everything works fine.
Glad to hear you found your problem. That proves how vital it is to have a very good electrical connection on the battery. Too often it's taken for granted and as long as the bolt is tight it's "good enough". But it has to be a good electrical connection and not just a physical connection. There is a lot of current running through those wires when using the winch, so the the entire path has to have good connections.

I know this stuff and I preach it, but even I have been fooled by a poor connection before.

·
Registered
455 Posts

View attachment 11696 View attachment 11695
what size deka? I installed my new deka 20l and it fit up PERFECT to stock...... did you get some offbrand? or just a larger one?

·
Registered
330 Posts
what size deka? I installed my new deka 20l and it fit up PERFECT to stock...... did you get some offbrand? or just a larger one?
I got the etx20l. It was close to fitting perfect but just not quite.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today I checked all my connections and everything is good. I also tested this: with key on and engine off, I can use the winch no problem. but with engine running, as soon as i touch the winch line in or out the quad stalls and communication failure appears. I put a volt meter on the battery and it reads 12.10 with quad off and 13.87 while running. This is a brand new deka "20". my quad is a 09 gade 500 and using a warn XT25.

any other ideas??

thanks
[/QUOT

Check for ground issues. You could put a bigger battery or install a power storage cell like they use for sub woofers to help limp your battery along with a little bit of stored energy. Im thinking you're drawing to much energy. Also can be an issue in the starter solenoid or the winch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts