Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new here, first post, I‘ve done lots of reading in regards to my questions.
I recently purchased a 2019 outlander max 650, I’m not convinced it is performing properly.
This atv has 182 km on it when I bought it used. Most of it snow plowing. Its in showroom condition.
I‘ve been riding atv’s and snowmobiles for 25 years. I have friends and family who currently have the identical machine as mine and we’ve ridden them back to back for comparison sake.
We all agree that there is something not quite right.
Bottom line, when slowing down (as gently as possible) the clutches seem to disengage in high around 11 km/h and in low around 8 km/h. At that point it goes to full engine braking and comes to a complete stop. If you get back on the throttle as light as possible before it stops its very lurch and makes some clunky sounds. Engagement is very smooth just off of idle in high and slightly higher rpm in low. The transition to engine braking is fairly extreme at 25-30 km/h.
I‘ve read lots of posts about the aggressive engine brake and I think its a separate issue. For the most part I like the engine brake. But it literally will not drive slower than 11 or 8 km/h. The other outlanders (650&850) we‘re comparing to stay engaged right down to idle speed and will creep along slowly with a steady throttle thumb. Not Mine.
So I opened up the clutch case, blew everything out with compressed air. There was no belt dust. Gave the clutch faces a gently wipe down and a light scuff with some 3000 grit paper, and installed a new can am belt. Gave the belt a nice break in for 50 km. Then rode it normally for 100 km. Ok-I might have ripped on it once or twice.
Nothing has changed.
It’s going in to the dealer for service and I’m going to ask them to look at it. I’m just worried they’re going to say its fine after they spend a few hours at it an give me a bill.
Sorry for the long post…
All feed back and advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
i know this has been an issue for several machine over the last 3 years or so, if memory serves me correctly it was always on 450s and 650s. and the dealer always said it was was normal, one huy posted a video of his and it definitely looked like more than normal. i don't recall if there was a TSB on this issue or not but worth looking into. i think a few people had theres remedied by a ecm reflash through fuel monster or ray parker atvflashing,com. you could try removing the primary one way bearing springs and see if that helps first.

·
Super Moderator
2,883 Posts
Your description sounds very similar to what my machine was doing from new.
Here's the topic where I talk about my fix.
Topic

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply’s guys.
I rode it around in the yard at home in rpm mode and when decelerating as slow as possible, the rpms drop from 2800 (11 kmh) down to idle. There’s no in between when decelerating. When accelerating it’s nice and smooth. Same thing in low gear. I then tried the green key. Same symptoms, just slightly lower rpms and speeds.
I dropped it off at the dealer 2 weeks ago, the young service rep was immediately skeptical that there could be a problem with a low mileage machine. I tried showing him myself but he wouldn’t get on the back behind me. He drove it around a bit and pretended to listen to what I was trying to explain. I explained that I had cleaned out the clutches and installed a new belt and done a nice break in.
I left with very low expectations.
Dealer called this week, told me it was ready for pick up. Service done and nothing wrong with it. They reset the throttle position sensor and said it was operator error. I asked to speak with the mechanic, they replied that they don’t do that sort of thing. The dealer is 1 hr drive away. If it was close I’d just drive over and go ride it. Instead I asked for the service manager. He said they hadn’t taken the clutch cover off and looked at it or really tried anything. I explained that the tech I was dealing with when I dropped it off wasn’t very receptive and I gave him my full explanation of how the machine behaves. Long story short, I have an off-grid cabin. The last hour and 15 minutes of the trail (2hour ride total) is done in low gear, in 4WD. I average 4 km/h for over an hour. It’s literally rock crawling, log climbing and swamps at very low slow speed. Low speed throttle modulation is a must in these conditions. I watched 2 other can ams do it well.
Service manager said they’d take a closer look at it and get back to me. I reminded him that he will be seeing more of me since I’ve ordered a new sled, set to arrive in October.

Is it possible that the tps could be the problem?
Any other ideas?
Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
2,883 Posts
Your description of how the engine drops in rpm, is exactly as mine was, except yours sounds to drop from higher rpms.
When I was trying to explain it to my dealer, I received the same outcome.
So I decided to try and show them what was happening without riding the bike.
Try this......
Start the motor and let it warm up and set into a steady idle.
Set the dash to display rpm.
Slacken off the throttle stop screw nut at the thumb lever.
Pull the screw completely out of the housing and remove the nut from the screw.
Reinstall the screw without the nut and screw it all the way in, until it bottoms out onto the throttle lever.
So now you shouldn't be able to raise the rpm at all, with the thumb lever.
Now while keeping light pressure on the thumb lever, slowly wind the screw out with a screw driver and watch the rpms rise.
I'm betting you will see an immediate jump in rpm, not a smooth gradual increase.
It's this sudden jump that is causing your issues while rock crawling.
Doing this will let you show your dealer where the issue lies. Getting them to ride around on the bike, will get you nowhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts