Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I put this in another topic than I saw this one.

Started having DPS problems last summer. While idling and stopped it would go out and give check DPS along with engine light. I have tried to replicate it while at home by running water on the connections but could not. (Seems very random.) Than I start it up in my garage and it does it. Turn it off let the system power done and it resets. Bought it in to dealership and they said it was showing lost communications with DPS, reset and gave it back saying they don't know why and BRP would only pay for a replacement if it was throwing a certain code, which of course it was not. Needless to say not very happy. I than started troubleshooting, took all electrical connections cleaned and reattached hoping it was a bad connection. Rode bike all day yesterday and no problem, just about the time I think it was an electrical connection issue it does it again. Same thing stopped and idling after riding in water it goes out, stop it let it power down and reset. as soon as i restart it does it again. Next time when I start it I put the key in lights on and it stays working. Ride it for awhile longer stop let it idle for a long time no more trouble. I know from my troubleshooting that if you disconnect the communications connection on steering motor, it will go out and give code but as soon as you reconnect it starts working again, But if you disconnect the power connection it throws code and won't reset till you ether stop and let it power down or disconnect and reconnect communications connection. I am starting to think it may be a low voltage issue, having lights on causes it to put out more juice, but am at a loss as to what to try next. By the way it is a 2011 Outlander 800 XT.
So did you check any of the wires that were talked about earlier in this thread?
Got the exact issues you described. Brought it to the shop and got the dps updated with no effect. One of the mechanics thought it was related to the speed sensor? If they figure it out I'll post the results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I cleaned the speed sensor but it didn't have anything on it. This was before all the things done in my other post. I may pull it again just to make sure. I will post any new developments as they happen.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So my 2011 rene xxc has been doing this, going out randomly and them coming back on, over and over. So I called the dealer and he was trying to tell me it was normal, that wen the DPS system comes hot it will shut off and come back on wen it cools down a little. So I told him I ride with my buddy all the time and he has the exact same bike but his DPS never shuts off. He told me hes going to do some research and call me back.

Any thoughts on this? that its normal? I doubt it lol

Im still under best warranty and this is my first experience with this dealer. Hoping for the best lol

·
Registered
316 Posts
A strange thing is that we all bought these machine's because they had a DPS on it.

That after a days ride our body in't that tired.

Now BRP shut the DPS off for having not so much claims from clients, when the thing gets hot.

WTF, we paid extra dollars for having DPS but we cannot use it all the time.

BRP go back to your drawing board and make a unit that works all the way.

And we all accept this kind of crap??

Grtz. Petje.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well I got a call back, good news thankfully, they will warranty the speed sensor and my leaking axle seal! Bringing it in tomorrow. hopefully its going to fix my DPS issue. and I am running 26" big horns.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have a 2010 Can-Am Outlander 800 XT. On a couple of rides now, the "Check Engine" light came on, and the message across the bottom said "Check DPS". I never noticed any difference or loss in my power steering when this light and message came on, and when I stopped the machine and re-started it, the message would go away, then come back after a while. On the last run, when I re-started the engine, the light and message went away for the rest of the ride. Today, I checked the three electrical connector plugs on the DPS unit, and all 3 connectors were tight with dielectric grease on them. I also checked the battery cables for tightness and cleanliness, they seemed to be fine too. I called my dealer and he said the DPS needs to be changed, but before I bring it in, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so, what the the fix? I have had all the recall bulletins taken care of for my DPS. Can anyone shed some light on this topic for me - thanks for your help. :TgC_emoticon142:

UPDATE INFO : Took my machine in to the dealer and had him check it over. Turns out it was the speed sensor on the side of the transmission that was cutting out after a certain RPM and not sending a signal to the DPS which relies on this signal to work properly. I thought I was going to have to get the whole power steering unit replaced, but in the end, it was only a simple replacement of the speed sensor. If you get the "Check DPS" message and lose you power steering when riding, and the message disappears and the power steering comes back on when you shut off your machine and re-start it, until you ride for a while and it cuts out again, it could be the speed sensor like it was for me - simple and quick fix if it is.
my machine is doing the exact same thing rite now. Sure hope it is the same fix!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 Can-Am Outlander 800 XT. On a couple of rides now, the "Check Engine" light came on, and the message across the bottom said "Check DPS". I never noticed any difference or loss in my power steering when this light and message came on, and when I stopped the machine and re-started it, the message would go away, then come back after a while. On the last run, when I re-started the engine, the light and message went away for the rest of the ride. Today, I checked the three electrical connector plugs on the DPS unit, and all 3 connectors were tight with dielectric grease on them. I also checked the battery cables for tightness and cleanliness, they seemed to be fine too. I called my dealer and he said the DPS needs to be changed, but before I bring it in, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so, what the the fix? I have had all the recall bulletins taken care of for my DPS. Can anyone shed some light on this topic for me - thanks for your help.

UPDATE INFO : Took my machine in to the dealer and had him check it over. Turns out it was the speed sensor on the side of the transmission that was cutting out after a certain RPM and not sending a signal to the DPS which relies on this signal to work properly. I thought I was going to have to get the whole power steering unit replaced, but in the end, it was only a simple replacement of the speed sensor. If you get the "Check DPS" message and lose you power steering when riding, and the message disappears and the power steering comes back on when you shut off your machine and re-start it, until you ride for a while and it cuts out again, it could be the speed sensor like it was for me - simple and quick fix if it is.
By chance did you have it in 4wheel drive?

41 - 48 of 48 Posts