Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Nice and I thought about buying a powersteering model lol. I do want one or two maybe but glad u got threw to them just seems to take awhile. And not all dealers are on the same page as they have so many other brands they are selling and working on it's hard to keep up with all the print that comes out. Went threw a simulor situation with valve cover gaskets. It seems to me that pateints is the best thing with dealer and brp

·
Registered
281 Posts
The same thing happened last week on my 2013 XMR 1000. Lost power steering and the engine light was on. Rode home and the bike sat over night and it was good to go again? I had power steering and the light was gone??? My bike has 75km on it.
I'm glad I found this thread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
here's my thread & poll I started about dps issues- I just bought a 2011 outty 800 max xt- dps went down on me twice 50+ miles in a northern maine trail-
my bike needed a new dps unit- dealer had the atv over a month- I finally emailed every can-am email I could find on their head quarters contact page- I had an answer in 2 days, and my atv was fixed within the week!

here's the thread poll I started for dps issues- quite a bit of'em!

http://www.can-amforum.com/forums/can-am-outlander/37010-2-more-new-outlanders-dps-issues-poll-4.html#post424214

I'm also over at ATVC (same screen name) and there's a few of us there with the same issues!

·
Registered
121 Posts
my 2012 renegade 1000 xxc did the same thing also , did it twice so far but the the last few times i have went riding it has worked fine. I do however have a maitenance required message coming across the display.Not sure what the means.
UPDATE, MR message is just suggested maitenance programmed in the pc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me twice in 350 miles and four days of riding. Seems like both times I was on slow technical trails where I was working the bike hard and it was getting warm.

I stopped shut it off for a minute and started it back up and no message.

So Hanes have you had a chance to ride yours since the "software update"?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Man, they'll let anyone on this forum!!!
I still haven't had any issues with the DPS even after you dragged me through those ridiculously deep waterholes last Saturday. Never thought I'd like it as much as I do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me twice in 350 miles and four days of riding. Seems like both times I was on slow technical trails where I was working the bike hard and it was getting warm.

I stopped shut it off for a minute and started it back up and no message.

So Hanes have you had a chance to ride yours since the "software update"?
Not as yet. I have had too many other things to do..LOL I just put the motorcycles in winter storage yesterday and loaded the bike on trailer. I am doing a charity Toys for Tots ride this Sat. But i doubt I will know anything by then as when it did fail it was generally on technical trails and usually about 800 km, (500 miles between failures). Doubt I will get that much riding in on Sat. Then bike goes back into storage for the season.

·
Registered
366 Posts
So is BRP suggesting to get the software update even if you aren't having problems?

My P/S unit was replaced. but I never head anything about a software update.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So is BRP suggesting to get the software update even if you aren't having problems?

My P/S unit was replaced. but I never head anything about a software update.
I can't imagine the software update being done would cause an issue may prevent further issues. the update has only been released approx 2 - 3 weeks ago. Many dealers likely don't know about it unless they have had a ps unit in since it was released.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I can't imagine the software update being done would cause an issue may prevent further issues. the update has only been released approx 2 - 3 weeks ago. Many dealers likely don't know about it unless they have had a ps unit in since it was released.
Thx, I'll ask my dealer about it next time I'm in there.

Do you know if this update is compatible with all models/years?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just spoke to my Dealer.
This is an update for all P/S units. If you have P/S I suggest getting your dealer to install this update.
It will correct the P/S from over doing it in high use situations, (or settling it down in high use situations)
This will preventing a spike in the unit or causing it to quite on you.

That's the info I was given.
kudos to Can-am for finally releasing a much needed update!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just spoke to my Dealer.
This is an update for all P/S units. If you have P/S I suggest getting your dealer to install this update.
It will correct the P/S from over doing it in high use situations, (or settling it down in high use situations)
This will preventing a spike in the unit or causing it to quite on you.

That's the info I was given.
kudos to Can-am for finally releasing a much needed update!
Thanks for the info I didn't know if it was for all years and all models.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
just a note here as no confirmation that i know of has been made that the stator harness upgrade has been done across the board for the DPS models. we went through this way back in 2010. inspect the stator harness. i did the upgrade in 2010 to my 2011 (serial # 000115) MXR and have had no DPS/Air susp problems to date. and i am a muddin' fool.

this was one issue, and the recall thing:

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Circle

but the voltage spike thing and the main complaint is the stator harness. the 650 watt stator needs 10ga wire. the older 450 stator uses 12ga. the manufacturer of the new stator wired it with 10ga but BRP did not upgrade the quads harness. as well, the DPS uses a 10ga feed, as does the air ride susp.

you really need to have the harness inspected. look for this:

Tool Gas Hand tool Slip joint pliers Cable

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Cable

Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Tints and shades

the wires/connector burn. create resistance, drop voltage.

the update looks like this:

Luggage and bags Bag Material property Electric blue Font

Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Wire Gas

P.S. i have had no software or any other dealer stuff done. i like it the way it is and for the XMR the "update" apparently removes the suspension lock for settings 4-6 that mine still has.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
sorry i didn't have time to finish this, but the stator harness is not the end of the problem. just kickin' the can down the road. the gray connector is the stator harness, the black connector is to the battery. also needs to be upgraded to 10ga wire.

Product Black Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Glad I saw this thread, I had the engine light and Check DPS thing come on today as well on my 2013 1000 XTP. Machine has 150km on it, I have never had a single issue with my 2010 XTP, and it has 3,600km on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put this in another topic than I saw this one.

Started having DPS problems last summer. While idling and stopped it would go out and give check DPS along with engine light. I have tried to replicate it while at home by running water on the connections but could not. (Seems very random.) Than I start it up in my garage and it does it. Turn it off let the system power done and it resets. Bought it in to dealership and they said it was showing lost communications with DPS, reset and gave it back saying they don't know why and BRP would only pay for a replacement if it was throwing a certain code, which of course it was not. Needless to say not very happy. I than started troubleshooting, took all electrical connections cleaned and reattached hoping it was a bad connection. Rode bike all day yesterday and no problem, just about the time I think it was an electrical connection issue it does it again. Same thing stopped and idling after riding in water it goes out, stop it let it power down and reset. as soon as i restart it does it again. Next time when I start it I put the key in lights on and it stays working. Ride it for awhile longer stop let it idle for a long time no more trouble. I know from my troubleshooting that if you disconnect the communications connection on steering motor, it will go out and give code but as soon as you reconnect it starts working again, But if you disconnect the power connection it throws code and won't reset till you ether stop and let it power down or disconnect and reconnect communications connection. I am starting to think it may be a low voltage issue, having lights on causes it to put out more juice, but am at a loss as to what to try next. By the way it is a 2011 Outlander 800 XT.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I put this in another topic than I saw this one.

Started having DPS problems last summer. While idling and stopped it would go out and give check DPS along with engine light. I have tried to replicate it while at home by running water on the connections but could not. (Seems very random.) Than I start it up in my garage and it does it. Turn it off let the system power done and it resets. Bought it in to dealership and they said it was showing lost communications with DPS, reset and gave it back saying they don't know why and BRP would only pay for a replacement if it was throwing a certain code, which of course it was not. Needless to say not very happy. I than started troubleshooting, took all electrical connections cleaned and reattached hoping it was a bad connection. Rode bike all day yesterday and no problem, just about the time I think it was an electrical connection issue it does it again. Same thing stopped and idling after riding in water it goes out, stop it let it power down and reset. as soon as i restart it does it again. Next time when I start it I put the key in lights on and it stays working. Ride it for awhile longer stop let it idle for a long time no more trouble. I know from my troubleshooting that if you disconnect the communications connection on steering motor, it will go out and give code but as soon as you reconnect it starts working again, But if you disconnect the power connection it throws code and won't reset till you ether stop and let it power down or disconnect and reconnect communications connection. I am starting to think it may be a low voltage issue, having lights on causes it to put out more juice, but am at a loss as to what to try next. By the way it is a 2011 Outlander 800 XT.
So did you check any of the wires that were talked about earlier in this thread?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, I pulled the stator connections and checked wiring for signs of burning, but found none. I also pulled the speed sensor and cleaned. I will check all again to make sure nothing came loose or started to burn. I will talk to dealer about replacing harness as part of more troubleshooting.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Yes, I pulled the stator connections and checked wiring for signs of burning, but found none.
that happens down the road. the issue is voltage drop across the undersized wires.

i have still had no problems with my '011 XMR. DPS or Air Susp. 2 years now. i did the harness upgrade as soon as i got it off the trailer from the dealer. and i only do mud trails, not many places i can even put it in H.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts