Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
CANAM705
378 Posts
I have a 2010 Can-Am Outlander 800 XT. On a couple of rides now, the "Check Engine" light came on, and the message across the bottom said "Check DPS". I never noticed any difference or loss in my power steering when this light and message came on, and when I stopped the machine and re-started it, the message would go away, then come back after a while. On the last run, when I re-started the engine, the light and message went away for the rest of the ride. Today, I checked the three electrical connector plugs on the DPS unit, and all 3 connectors were tight with dielectric grease on them. I also checked the battery cables for tightness and cleanliness, they seemed to be fine too. I called my dealer and he said the DPS needs to be changed, but before I bring it in, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so, what the the fix? I have had all the recall bulletins taken care of for my DPS. Can anyone shed some light on this topic for me - thanks for your help.

UPDATE INFO : Took my machine in to the dealer and had him check it over. Turns out it was the speed sensor on the side of the transmission that was cutting out after a certain RPM and not sending a signal to the DPS which relies on this signal to work properly. I thought I was going to have to get the whole power steering unit replaced, but in the end, it was only a simple replacement of the speed sensor. If you get the "Check DPS" message and lose you power steering when riding, and the message disappears and the power steering comes back on when you shut off your machine and re-start it, until you ride for a while and it cuts out again, it could be the speed sensor like it was for me - simple and quick fix if it is.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen with my 2012 Renegade 1000 XXC the last time I rode it. No idea what caused it. I plan on taking it to the dealer this week.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had the same problem and did everything you guys did and I had to get a new power steering unit, I have a Outlander 800 XXC 2011, Id ride it and the alarm would come on after 2 miles of riding every time, and the powere steering would quit and I would have to shut it down and cycle the power, did it numerous times and finally got it replaced and have had no issues.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I had the same problem and did everything you guys did and I had to get a new power steering unit, I have a Outlander 800 XXC 2011, Id ride it and the alarm would come on after 2 miles of riding every time, and the powere steering would quit and I would have to shut it down and cycle the power, did it numerous times and finally got it replaced and have had no issues.
x2

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well both of my 2012 Can Am's have had the "CHECK DPS" message come on now. The Renegade 1000 had it happen last weekend, and the Outlander 1000 had it happen this weekend. They're both under warranty, so if it says "CHECK DPS" then I figure that is what I'll do. Both ATVs were dropped off at the dealership today to see if there is a problem or not.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The "check DPS" message on my 2010 Outlander 800 came on for the 1st time today. I was going slow pulling a brush/trail mower.

I guess a call to the dealer is in order. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had the same issue. but after a trip to the dealer the code they pulled from the machine was a voltage spike warning, which when on the trail was shutting off my PS unit and scrolling Check DPS.

I did a few rides after the dealer looked it over the first time and I was able to "test" a theory I had, which was when ever I played in the water or wet conditions I was having the issue... if I stayed out of the wet stuff while riding I had no issues at all, only when I got the bike wet and steam was coming off the engine did the Check DPS warning come on. Still unsure of why this is the only time it would cause issues, but the dealer pulled the code again and it was the same. they're not even sure what was the cause. BRP said replace it and the dealer did, not a problem since.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I rode 47 trail miles Saturday 20-35mph. The ck DPS message did not come on.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just for follow up, the two 2012 Can Am's I had with the CHECK DPS light on were taken to the dealership to be checked over. The Renegade 1000 did not have a problem they could find. The 2012 Outlander 1000 needed a new power steering unit, which whould have cost $1338 if it were not covered by warranty.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm still under warranty. Definitely taking to a dealer to check the DPS.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Took My 12 Outty 1000XT in to the dealer as the check DPS and 50 hr service both came on the weekend. Also winch was working intermittently, and the high beams stopped working. Plus the water pump weep tube was full.

They replaced the water pump seal, found nothing with the winch, did the 50 hour service. then stated the DPS unit was "reset6" as it showed a voltage spike due to the winch being operated. I said funny I haven't used the winch in about 3 weeks prior. Even then it was let out to grab a tree branch and drag it with the machine about 50'

She says "hmmm, well I doubt BRP will authorize a new unit given that the light only came on once." I am at about month 5 of the warranty, (of course I have another 36 months BEST after that. Of course I told her of this thread. I am bringing it with me when I pick the bike up tomorrow. I said ok well it has been documented so next time it goes I want it replaced and it WILL be under warranty NO $50 deductible as it is an issue under the full warranty. She said ok. We will see.

Also they checked for any frame cracks none as of yet.. Total bill $53 with taxes in for the 50 hour service labour.

·
CANAM705
378 Posts
Took My 12 Outty 1000XT in to the dealer as the check DPS and 50 hr service both came on the weekend. Also winch was working intermittently, and the high beams stopped working. Plus the water pump weep tube was full.

They replaced the water pump seal, found nothing with the winch, did the 50 hour service. then stated the DPS unit was "reset6" as it showed a voltage spike due to the winch being operated. I said funny I haven't used the winch in about 3 weeks prior. Even then it was let out to grab a tree branch and drag it with the machine about 50'

She says "hmmm, well I doubt BRP will authorize a new unit given that the light only came on once." I am at about month 5 of the warranty, (of course I have another 36 months BEST after that. Of course I told her of this thread. I am bringing it with me when I pick the bike up tomorrow. I said ok well it has been documented so next time it goes I want it replaced and it WILL be under warranty NO $50 deductible as it is an issue under the full warranty. She said ok. We will see.

Also they checked for any frame cracks none as of yet.. Total bill $53 with taxes in for the 50 hour service labour.
That voltage spike may have been from the speed sensor working intermittently like it was on my bike. If it is, it is a very simple replacement fix and they shouldn't have to replace your DPS unit. I'm glad they didn't have to rip out my DPS unit, then find out the new unit was doing the same thing. A good dealer that knows how to use the BUDS analyzer will find these things because once your "Check DPS" message comes on with the "Check Engine" light, it sets a code that the dealer using BUDS can retrieve to troubleshoot the problem. My bike's power steering has been working fine without any "Check DPS" messages ever since the speed sensor was replaced, and I have put over 200 kms on it since. Glad my dealer knew what to do, and this was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well update: Saturday while out riding the check engine light came on, then check DPS message scrolled same as happened when I posted in this thread on 10 Aug. Back then dealer stated it was reset as it had been caused by a voltage spike caused by winch operation even though winch wasn't used for weeks before this. This time the power steering actually stopped working while riding along the trail, which it didn't do the first time. After shutting down for several minute DPS was again working.

So I dropped bike off this morning they took all the info called BRP for the fix was told.

"it is a KNOWN software glitch with the DPS units on the 2012 Outlander 1000's". Their engineers are working on it. They then told the dealer to reset it and give it back until "new software is ready and can be downloaded on the bike"

unfortunately BRP is closed but I will be calling and requesting to speak with the area rep. I am sorry but this IS a safety issue and them fixing it when they get around to it is not acceptable. The dealer agrees what if I were expecting to make a sudden turn and never realized that my power steering had failed and I couldn't negotiate the turn as expected?

I am sure I will get the standard line "we are working on it" tomorrow when I call...LOL

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well just got off the phone with BRP they said that isn't what our notes show it says dealer was told to ride bike until the situation reoccurs then BRP wants to come look at bike. But they have NO idea about any software related issues etc. I explained it has only happened twice so the dealer test driving it likely won't replicate the issue anytime soon. They said well that is all we can do right now. I said I ok getting two totally different stories I need to talk to the area rep... Then they give me the line the BRP reps ONLY speak to dealers not customers and I would have to take it up with dealer. I said well dealer is going to tell me what they have already told me, so I need to speak to area rep and get straight story.

Called dealer back they said they read the software update issue on the BRP/delaer PRIVATE forum and then they called BRP and were told to ride the bike till it happened again. Tech says he explained the first time it happened was at approx 1200 Km and the bike now has about 2100 km so they aren't prepared to ride and put another 1,000 km on MY bike just so BRP can look at it, (he also said they don't get paid by BRP to do it either. He read the post directly from BRP on the forum to me stating it WAS a software issue and that dealers are NOT replace ANY DPS units. They are to wait for software update. One of the dealers even had it occur on a 2013 Max with 78 miles on it!!!

So OBVIOUSLY there is a KNOWN issue with the 2012 DPS units that BRP is admitting to the dealers but trying in typical fashion to conceal from it's customers.

·
Registered
331 Posts
sounds similar to the issue I had with mine. I got a check-dps message about a month ago and it shut down the p/s. I shut the bike off and once it reset everything seemed fine. I then kept riding it but recently it seemed harder to steer and was squeaking. I thought it was the upper steering bushing.

I took it in to the dealer and was quite surprised when they called me back and told me that the ECM was not able to communicate with the DPS, I was told the dps motor had to be replaced. Haven't got it back yet, hopefully the end of this week.

·
Registered
268 Posts
BRP is having a lot of problems with their electronic power steering. Based on what they spent replacing mine, and how many others you read about, they have to be spending hundreds of thousands of dollars replacing power steering units. I'm glad I got mine replaced before they decided to wait for the software fix, ... not that it matters now anyway, ... I sold my Outlander 1000. Someone else's worry now.

I'm also glad my next Can Am purchase wont have power steering. Kind of nice that they decided not to put power steering on the Maverick

·
Registered
86 Posts
sounds similar to the issue I had with mine. I got a check-dps message about a month ago and it shut down the p/s. I shut the bike off and once it reset everything seemed fine. I then kept riding it but recently it seemed harder to steer and was squeaking. I thought it was the upper steering bushing.

I took it in to the dealer and was quite surprised when they called me back and told me that the ECM was not able to communicate with the DPS, I was told the dps motor had to be replaced. Haven't got it back yet, hopefully the end of this week.
Yes it is code P0605 that says it can't be communicated with. Not sure if your dealer got clearance to change it. Call them cause from what I am being told BRP has said they will NOT replace anymore units until software update comes out.

ANYONE who has had their unit replaced can you PLEASE PM the name of your dealer and if possible the "warranty ticket number" should be on your invoice. My 6 month warranty expired early Nov although I have the three year BEST warranty, and they said they will cover it under 6 month warranty as it was reported before expiration I just want it fixed..LOL

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well bike has been in three more times for the DPS issue, dealer keeps calling BRP, BRP says call it when it happens don't move bike and we will like to see bike, then next time told dealer to ride until it occurred,. Generally happens about every 600 miles!!!!

I got my call escalated at BRP, and they FINALLY called me last Friday admitted it was a "software issue with the ECM communicating with the DPS. They are working on it but NO idea when it would be ready. Well Sunday morning started it to go out to do trail maintenance. NO DPS and check engine light.

Dropped it off again at dealer Sun night. They pulled another 0605 code.

Dealer called yesterday afternoon. Bike is fixed... I laughed he said no this time it IS fixed. BRP released a software update yesterday morning. They downloaded it and then loaded into my ECM according to BRP the issue is NOW resolved. Apparently ALL dealers now have this available and if your experiencing DPS issues contact your dealer for software update.

Won't be able to ride for at least 2 weeks so I will see if it is indeed fixed..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts