Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Hi to all

Im fixing my engine and all i need to finish it is to know how to set the timing marks on the head and crankshaft

Can anyone help me

Where can i find a pic of it ?
I'm really not very knowledgeable with these and only just got my timing chain out but I saw a video and looked on my Maverick and it seemed right. There are two lines on your timing gear, then you take out the positioning sensor and use a 17 Alan wrench to turn the motor over and look down inside the crankcase and watch the numbers. From what I saw the two lines should be flush with the head when it is at tdc of stroke 1. But again I'm a novice and still have set my own timing I only just got my first can am a couple months ago.

· Registered
9 Posts
So to follow up on this I got mine timed correctly and it's easy. Like I said before you remove the crank position sensor and look down into the case and turn over the engine until the number 1 is perfectly centered. They make a stopper that locks it into place but honestly you don't need it. Just center the 1 position (this is on the front cylinder you are timing) when you are at the 1 position look at your cam sprocket gear and the two dash lines need to be flat with the knife edge of the head. Perfectly flat. Then take off the rear cylinder valve cover and check where those dashes are. When front cylinder dashes are flat and parallel to the head then the rear cylinder dash marks will be parallel to the ground or something like 45 degrees from flat with the head, but that ends up being flat with the ground. When the rear cylinder is flat and parallel with the head, than the front cylinder should be parallel with the ground. One tooth off and it becomes pretty obvious that it isn't perfectly flat so if you aren't sure move the gear a tooth and tighten again and see where you are. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts