Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best tires for Outlander?
What is your choice all around tire for your Outlander?
ITP Terracross45.00%
Maxxis bighorn2025.00%
ITP Mud Lite XTR911.25%
Maxis Mudzilla22.50%
OEM Carlesle ACT67.50%
Other?3948.75%

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What's your choice all around tire for your Outlander? I had a Honda Rincon with ITP Terracross tires and was never more satisfied with a set of tires..! I live in NW PA and these tires went great in deep snow, hard pac, moderate mud, and held up very well. Now I have a new Outlander 650 XT with the stock Carlisle ACT, and I am considering new tires... Please share your experiences and recommendations.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Kenda Bearclaw HTR
Or GBC dirt commander. Both of these tires are the best I have used or tried. The HTR will do better in mud but the dirt commander is an excellent trail tire and will handle the occasional mud hole just fine. You won't go wrong with either tire.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Or GBC dirt commander. Both of these tires are the best I have used or tried. The HTR will do better in mud but the dirt commander is an excellent trail tire and will handle the occasional mud hole just fine. You won't go wrong with either tire.
The GBC dirt Commander is definately a good tire, and i know several racers that run them.

The Dirt Commander has two faults:

1) They wear out too fast.

2) 8-ply bias construction tire. Too stiff for trail riding.

·
JBIRD
13,704 Posts
I run the DC's, there a great tire for trail riding, never had an issue with them, but they do wear fast as Shortmag stated, not so much the fronts, but the rears. I get around a 1000 miles out of them before they need replacing, that's pretty good if you ask me. Never ran the HTR's but from what i've read and heard, there an awesome tire aswell, the two brands are the top dogs for trail riding.

Reactions: kdubb

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm really surprised I don't see more utility quads running the ITP Terracross... I've been beyond happy with mine in all conditions. Anyone out there have feelings on these tires??

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
The HTR's are on my Renegade , but as soon as the Outty's Swamp Fox's wear out , she'll be getting shod with them too !

I thought they'd leave me wanting more when it comes to mud but everything I've thrown at them so far they have been absolutely outstanding .

IMG_1045_zps1ef072f6.jpg

·
JBIRD
13,704 Posts
I'm really surprised I don't see more utility quads running the ITP Terracross... I've been beyond happy with mine in all conditions. Anyone out there have feelings on these tires??
Every person i knew that ran the Terracross got flats and they wore pretty quick too.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I went with the HTRs based on the opinions here on this site and 3000 mi. Later they have hardly any wear and with the 8 ply rating they won't leave hung out to dry. Very smooth ride on all terrain. Pretty good on snow as well. Im glad these guys turned me on to these tires. Thanks

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I had the terras. Way to many flats. Then I tried the baja cross and same problem. I now have the HTRs and have had good luck with them.
I have heard the same complaint from everyone I know that has ever used ITP tires.

Way too many flats. sidewalls get holes in them too fast. Take lots of plugs on the trail with you.

·
Mr Fix It
3,903 Posts
Kenda Bearclaw HTR fan here.

f419sr1 on this forum had a manufacturing defect - he called Kenda, they had him e-mail a photo of some manufacturing numbers off the tire - and he had a replacement sitting on his doorstep the NEXT DAY.

So, great tire, GREAT customer service.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I'm going to get another set of rear DCs, then once those and the current fronts are worn out...I'm probably going with the HTRs...here's my reasons. I rode this new renegade with the Holeshot ATRs (yes, different tire I know, but it's a radial, same as the HTRs and the DCs are bias). The quad seemed to handle so much better with the ATRs on it. Not only did it handle better, but it was a much nicer ride too (hence why I'll go with something radial next time). The Dirt Commanders are a tough tire, but they get holes too. I would like a tire that handles like the Holeshot ATR, but is more durable, like the DC...I'm hoping the Bearclaw HTR will fit those requirements.

The Holeshot ATRs just aren't durable enough. 105 miles on them and they are worn pretty bad. And there is not a single ITP tire out there that is known for having a durable sidewall...I don't think ITP can make a good, durable tire for anything other than a sport quad.

·
Registered
119 Posts
What's your choice all around tire for your Outlander? Now I have a new Outlander 650 XT with the stock Carlisle ACT, and I am considering new tires... Please share your experiences and recommendations.
ARTRAX/COUNTRAX brand from Motosport.com: I had these as my second set on my 2009 KAWI 650. They performed well and had TWICE the "rubber on the road" as the Carlisle ACT OEMS and for less $$. I too have a 2013 Outlander 650XT. I have 2000Km/1250 Miles on the OEM Carlisles still on there and I'd say they are about 1/3 worn. Have had two punctures so far- Fixaflat & plugs fixed that. I also have a FULL SET of ARTRAX/ Countrax new rubber sitting in the garage and they're ONE INCH wider than the OEM 9"F and 11"R..they re waiting til I get p*ssed off with the Carlisles before they go on. Looks like the OEMs will finish off the season (by end of Oct) Newbies, next Spring

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFcQtwIwCg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCjxm-09DLGI&ei=cKUbVKzyBqagigLfuoCQBg&usg=AFQjCNH-JyC1M4wMK4It7LsJEwFCa_wutA

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Zillas all those tires you gents are talking about wont cut it up here in Alberta. It needs a bit more than those and height is prolly the most important point. Too many rides using 30" tall tires and cutting through the mud Shorter tires just get high centered and hung up We got 31-32" tires digging them even deeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 103 Posts