Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about making some sort of battery wire extensions so the battery is easier to remove/replace. It seems like I am always fighting the wires, and then they always seem to work loose while I am fighting them.

Anyway, I want to make some sort of extension, with perhaps a wire for the pos and neg that comes out the back for quick access to a battery tender.

What gage of wire do I need?

Any suggestions?

·
GO BIG OR GO HOME!
1,562 Posts
if you're only using the battery tender, you could use the same gauge wire that it uses since it's only 2 amps or less. i think they come with leads that you can permanently attach to the battery for that purpose. i just hook the charger to the battery - and the positive terminal of the solenoid when i charge mine.

·
Super Moderator
8,708 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the factory battery cables are #6 gauge. I'll check for sure tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
8,708 Posts
Just checked the shop manual and it doesn't say.

·
JBIRD
13,704 Posts
Here ya go, this is what i run on all my Batts, easy access and charging.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
if your gonna extend the cables make sure you run whole new ones do not tie in and make them longer

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wish the battery was in a different place all together. Everytime I pull it out, it always hits the tag holder and sparks go a flying. It scares the s$&% out of me everytime. but yes, I have thought about extending the wires but it seems like such a large job so for the limited times I do mess with the battery, I'll just deal with the short wires.

·
Registered
340 Posts
For those with outtys just put then up in the rear storage box. Fits in where the tool storage is. Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trunk Bumper

A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
X2 on the Battery Tender Jr. They come with everything you need. Take your battery out one time and hook the leads permanently. Problem solved. I have them on all my sleds, quads, boat, garden tractors, and cars that I store. They cost around $35 dollars.

·
JBIRD
13,704 Posts
X2 on the Battery Tender Jr. They come with everything you need. Take your battery out one time and hook the leads permanently. Problem solved. I have them on all my sleds, quads, boat, garden tractors, and cars that I store. They cost around $35 dollars.
You can just buy the wire that i posted for $7 bucks, if you already have the Battery Tender.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For those with outtys just put then up in the rear storage box. Fits in where the tool storage is. View attachment 24909

A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes
this is my plan, did you extend cables, replace cables or was there enough to pull slack in order to do this relocation?

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
this is my plan, did you extend cables, replace cables or was there enough to pull slack in order to do this relocation?
if your doing it on a G1 you may be able to get away with it but the cables are pretty short, rerouting them from the connector on the right side may give you enough slack, if not tractor supply has lots of different cable at a good price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts