Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is anyone else having trouble with there battery. had quad stuck and limp home came on. brought quad to dealer. dealer said that battery was low. they said that it came from using winch and not keeping rpm's up. that if i don't keep rpm's up when using winch this will keep happening. in my opinion using your winch when stuck should not drain battery. draining the battery causes more trouble than beening stuck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
is anyone else having trouble with there battery. had quad stuck and limp home came on. brought quad to dealer. dealer said that battery was low. they said that it came from using winch and not keeping rpm's up. that if i don't keep rpm's up when using winch this will keep happening. in my opinion using your winch when stuck should not drain battery. draining the battery causes more trouble than beening stuck.
our machines have a ton of problems with charging.. I have heard everything from the winch draws more then it should, to the headlights draw more then they should to some solenoid problem.. blah blah.. regardless it is pathetic that on a top of the line machine you can't use the winch without the machine going into limp mode.. I have argued with brp over this and they wont do anything.. its the only machine that has this problem.. its a huge pain becuase you have to shut off your machine to get it out of limp mode.. if the voltage has dropped to low then it wont start.. great feature brp!

·
Registered
74 Posts
our machines have a ton of problems with charging.. I have heard everything from the winch draws more then it should, to the headlights draw more then they should to some solenoid problem.. blah blah.. regardless it is pathetic that on a top of the line machine you can't use the winch without the machine going into limp mode.. I have argued with brp over this and they wont do anything.. its the only machine that has this problem.. its a huge pain becuase you have to shut off your machine to get it out of limp mode.. if the voltage has dropped to low then it wont start.. great feature brp!
Yes the Can-Am (800 XT) is very fun, very powqerful, but CAN you keep it running trouble free ????? The long lasting quality really sucks, bad frame, CVT water problems, poor charging system,poor brake pads, poor springs, fuel pump problems, ETC. etc. etc.
I had mine for about 10 months and was very happy to sell it for more than $6000. LESS than i had into it.

If you have tons of cash and time to spend at your dealer (or in your shop fixing) it's the bike for you, BUT if you want to ride trouble free, get something else and take a small power loss..

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yes the Can-Am (800 XT) is very fun, very powqerful, but CAN you keep it running trouble free ????? The long lasting quality really sucks, bad frame, CVT water problems, poor charging system,poor brake pads, poor springs, fuel pump problems, ETC. etc. etc.
I had mine for about 10 months and was very happy to sell it for more than $6000. LESS than i had into it.

If you have tons of cash and time to spend at your dealer (or in your shop fixing) it's the bike for you, BUT if you want to ride trouble free, get something else and take a small power loss..
If you sold it and bought something else why are you still here?

·
when in doubt FLOOR IT !
1,147 Posts
This is a bit of a long read but it will help you understand.

Link
VERY INTERESTING

ATV charging systems have made enormous progress in the past decade, both in electrical power output quantity and quality. For a consumer to take maximum advantage of this power it is useful to have an understanding of how charging systems work, and why they have evolved the way they have. In this article we will review some basic principles of charging system operation and hopefully shatter a few long-standing myths that may be hampering you from enjoying peak performance from the charging system on your ATV.

Why magnetos are used on ATVs instead of Alternators

ATVs have been equipped since their inception with "magneto"-based charging systems. Simply put, Magneto charging systems make use of permanent magnets imbedded into the flywheel assembly. The assembly is located on the "mag" end of the crankshaft. These magnets are passed next to coils of wire assembled into a "stator". Alternating current is generated in the coils. This is converted into DC power that is usable by the ATV-more on this later.

Belt-driven automotive-style alternators are capable of putting out substantially more electrical power, however there is a major technical obstacle that has prevented them from being integrated into an ATV application. Alternators require airflow to cool them, but most cannot tolerate the water and debris that ATVs are often ridden in. This has presented a major engineering obstacle to the use of alternators on ATVs.

Magnetos, on the other hand, are contained within the engine package and so they are protected from water and debris intrusion. Magnetos are usually designed to operate without outside airflow to cool them. The more robust magneto designs are designed to work at temperatures as high as 350 degrees F. Design features including engine coolant passages, oil baths, and integral fan blades are all used to keep magnetos operating within their specified temperature range. A magneto also allows for simple, compact integration of the charging and trigger coils for a CDI ignition. An alternator does not, thus magnetos have historically been used on ATVs.

Electrical demands of ATVs have grown steadily over the years-putting increased demand on charging systems and batteries. So far, it has made sense for OEMs to make improvements to magneto charging systems to meet these electrical demands rather than developing alternator systems. Updates that can be made to magneto-charging systems include-upgrading to rare-earth magnets, adding more charging coils and permanent magnets by making the flywheel a larger diameter, and designing charging systems with 3-phase as opposed to single-phase power output. All of these upgrades have an associated cost, and increased electrical output subjects the stator itself to more heat. But if the electrical loads warrant it, all these features are well worth the effort to implement.

If and when new technologies are implemented on ATVs that require a new type of charging system, these systems will no doubt come into being. Some alternators are beginning to be implemented on 4-stroke snowmobiles such as the Arctic Cat T-660 4-stroke models. One luxury of this increased output is the addition of electrical features such as heated seats. The use of an alternator is possible on snowmobiles because they are designed to have airflow through the hood, and they are not designed to be operated submerged in water as ATVs are. The truth is, the T-660 engine package was adapted from an on-highway application, so an alternator was selected by default over a magneto. Magneto systems continue to be improved to meet today's ATV power requirements and will be prevalent on ATVs for some time to come.

·
Registered
1 Posts
EastPenn/Deka makes an awesome ETX battery that should fit in the Can Am quads. It's an AGM battery (Absorbed Glass Mat) specifically designed for heavy electrical demands. There are some other imitations on the market, but you've got to get the real deal. Look for Deka. It's designed to take a bit more abuse than the regular batteries. I've seen them in the market 3 or 4 years old.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This problem just happened to me. I had my 800 stuck past my lights and tried to winch out. My bike went into limp mode and the battery was low. I shut the bike off and it reset itself but it barely turned over. I was thinking of buying a trickle charger and I guess charging the battery to full strength before every ride.

Besides this its the only problem i have, but it could be major because I'm usually deep in the bush on old skidder trails or skidoo trails.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
i was told by the dealer to check the positive cable on my battery...they are netorious for being lose and causing your problem...i did check mine and it was a bit lose from the factory..i check it from time to time now for preventative measures. just reach under the back and give it a pull and a pushand you'll know!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts