Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHile wrenching on 7shortmags 2010 outlander 800 XTP today, I found this plug. It is for the stator wiring. The stator side of this plug has already been replaced due to the plug melting. Now, the chassis side of the plug has melted...including all of the wire covering. The wires are extremely brittle...who knows if it could catch fire. I haven't started the machine since I noticed this, I think I'll wait for the owner to come pick it up before I do. He is contacting his dealer to see what they want to do. Here' some pics...This plug is directly under the heat shield under the seat, you can see the fuel pump in the lower section of the first picture. Please check this, as it seems it is a problem...maybe they need to do a recall on this issue. This is the second time the wiring for the stator has gotten hot on this machine.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread

Attachments

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The mileage is off due to the speedo assembly being replaced. The hours are around 398 or so. I don't think he uses the winch that much...but I'm sure it has been used.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Do you think it was because of winching and or long winching or some thing else?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I don't think it has anything to do with the winch. I think 1 of 2 things is wrong. 1. The wire is too small a guage to handle the extra watts from the stator. 2. There is an issue with the stator/regulator that need to be addressed.

·
Registered
348 Posts
just checked my 2010 and this is what i found

Its been rubbing for sure....the insulation is almost all the way gone on the one wire, just waiting to short out.
thanks for showing me this crewdog!
bike was built in 01/10, bought in june..has 135hrs on it and 4063kms
-matt

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
oh wow, this is not a "small" issue. it could lead to serious problems, including burning the bike to the ground. the fuel vent line is the one to worry about, since gas in gaseous form is far more combustible than liquid form. not to mention it could short out, fry the magneto, the VR, other electronics, or even the ECU.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just checked my 2010 and this is what i found

Its been rubbing for sure....the insulation is almost all the way gone on the one wire, just waiting to short out.
thanks for showing me this crewdog!
bike was built in 01/10, bought in june..has 135hrs on it and 4063kms
-matt
What does the other side of the plug look like. The other side is where shortmag noticed it first, the dealer replaced the wiring to the stator, along with the stator under warranty. Now, the other side of the plug is jacked up.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Okay...so....If anyone has read my post....is this what they were talking about when they said there was a problem with the "connectors"? And she said they would replace the entire "harness"? Sorry...this mechanical stuff is all Greek to me! And the BRP rep was just as lost as I was...she knew nothing about mechanical stuff, either.

·
Registered
348 Posts
What does the other side of the plug look like. The other side is where shortmag noticed it first, the dealer replaced the wiring to the stator, along with the stator under warranty. Now, the other side of the plug is jacked up.

seems to be in good shape...going to keep a real close eye on it though.
scary thing is..they stuffed the tank vent line underneath that plug.
-matt

1 - 20 of 342 Posts