Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,943 Posts
A buddy of mine picked up a 2007 G1 650 Max for the princely sum of, "Take it away for nothing".

The machine has lived on a cattle property and is in need of some TLC.

I've been asked to go through it and see if it's worth spending any money on.

It does run, when you can get it to run. Needs a fuel pump, but crimping off the return line gets it running enough.

I've hooked up BUDS to extract the history and faults etc and one active fault, amoung others, is to do with the DESS.

The ignition key has had a hard life to say the least.

My question is.....

I have a spare grey key for my G2. Can I program my key to work in this bike?

More importantly, can I reprogram it back to my bike after I've finished diagnosing the old bike?

I really just want to see if he needs to buy a key from the dealer and if it fixes the fault code issue.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on this but my understanding is the key is not programmed to the bike it is the other way around. Therefore you could program the bike to accept your key and it will work on both. I have heard in the past of people having a key programmed to work on multiple bikes.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Not sure on the G1 vs G2 compatibility though

·
W. F. O.
5,277 Posts
yes i was going to say... when you buy a key its blank... it can be used for any machine that takes a key.. and can be reprogrammed to any machine using a key...

·
Registered
ALL 2015 - 2022 MODELS WITH RF DESS KEY
2 Posts
This is a real thread revival, but I'd just like to clarify for anyone who stumbles upon this -- the factory DESS keys aren't programmable. The ECU holds all of the programming, this is why you must take your vehicle to the dealership or shop with the key, so it can be added to the ECU.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts