Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
jokerswild
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had some PM's from people about the LED rings I have so I will try to give you some info about them. The are sealed rings and were originally designed for a Can-AmSpyder. I got a set in and tested them on one of my Renegades and submerged them in creeks more times than I care to count. They never stopped working underwater, never dimmed, NOTHING. They have been working for over a year being completely underwater for extended amounts of time. After I told them what we thought about them on the Renegade, even though they were not designed for it, and told them that there would be demand for them on Renegades, they made them sized for the Renegade. The site is tricplate.com. If you go to new items, you can see them there and pick a color and buy them online. I am not a rep for them but am a very happy customer.

Buster

·
Registered
344 Posts
Those are pretty awesome. Do they give off any additional light or mostly just for looks? I assume yours would be considered to be the blue ones?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Those are super cool. What about functionality or is it primarily just for looks (not that there is anything wrong with it)???? How was the install???

·
Registered
100 Posts
Those are super cool. What about functionality or is it primarily just for looks (not that there is anything wrong with it)???? How was the install???
Can you run both the led rings and headlights at the same time? X2 on the install how long did it take and was it easy to do?

·
Registered
624 Posts
That's a very COOL idea ahaha i like that cool blue look!!!

·
jokerswild
633 Posts
Let me see if I can catch up on some of these questions:

The install was very easy. I basically drilled a hole in the upper part of the headlight housing on each side for the small wires to go through. Feed the wires inside the fenders and up into the center cowl.

There is a common power wire up there that you can t-tap into to grab "switch" power. Here is a pic where I did the t-tap into my 800. Slightly different on the 1000 but that wire is still up there, just in a slightly different place.

They provide the connectors except for the t-taps but I think he said he may start providing them.

Here is what is included. That round black thing in the center is a switch so you do not have to have them powered on anytime the quad is turned on:

Overall, the install takes about 30-45 minutes. You just need to be sure your headlight housing is super clean before you stick the rings on. They attach with 3m double-sided tape and once they are stuck to a clean surface, are a b!tch to remove. Water does not phase that 3m stuff that comes on them.

We have ours on all the time and they provide good light for cruising the neighborhood at night. They are bright for what they are but do not project like a LED light bar would. So, for high speed at night, you would need either your headlights on or some accessory bar.

The ones I have are actually white, not blue, although they DO look blue. But, they are that bright light you would see on a new Lexus that is so bright it looks blue.

These things pull such a small amount of current compared to a headlight or anything else, then yes, you can run them with the lights on with no problem. We have sat for a while with the quad not running but the switch on to give us some ambient outdoor light at night and never even had a cranking problem.

Also, when we cruise around at ATV parks, we ride with them switched on. It makes it easy to spot your buddy coming behind you through the woods and they get a lot of attention from people that see them. I can't tell you how many times I have had to answer questions about where we got them from. People like them that much!

If anyone needs me to shoot a Youtube on exactly how to wire them on a 1000 and an 800, I can do that and post a link. To add their switch in as opposed to just making them come on every time the key is on takes a very slight amount of thought, and their instructions tell you how to do it with their switch. But, sometimes a video is just easier to watch and understand. I actually sent them my install pics so they could improve their install instructions since the original instructions were for the Can-Am Spyder. That was what the original lights were designed for. Once we told them us Renegade folks wanted them, they had them built for a Renegade as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,707 Posts
So they are actually applied to the outside of the headlight lense?

·
Registered
175 Posts
can you get a pic of the mount you used on that first one for the rigid light bar, on the handle bars? Ive been thinking of moving mine up to the handle bars as well.

·
jokerswild
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are not mounted to the glass lens at all, they are mounted to the small black rig just to the outside of the lens but inside that housing.
can you get a pic of the mount you used on that first one for the rigid light bar, on the handle bars? Ive been thinking of moving mine up to the handle bars as well.

·
Registered
349 Posts
so are the lights you bought actually blueish or do they just look that way in the picture? i would have guessed you went with the blue tint, which is what i would have bought.

·
jokerswild
633 Posts
They have a more bluish tint than my LED light bar has. My LED bar is bright white. The white LED rings look like the headlights on the new Lexus and BMW vehicles. They are bright white but with a blue hue to them. I would imagine the blue rings to be a LOT more blue than white. Look at some of the pictures on his web site of spyders with all the different colors. you are sure to find the actual blue ones on there.

·
jokerswild
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I talked to the owner of Tricplate that made and sells these rings. He said he would give Can-am Talk members a discount and sell them for $125 to the members.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I talked to the owner of Tricplate that made and sells these rings. He said he would give Can-am Talk members a discount and sell them for $125 to the members.
Can you verify if the commander plastic bezels will accept these just like like the renegades?....I've never sat our commander next to a renny to compare

Sent from my twin-turbo Droid Razr

·
jokerswild
633 Posts
I'm not sure the size of the bezel on the commanders but the rings for the Renegade/Outlander are exactly 3 inches in diameter. if you can measure the inside of your Commander bezels, it would be very interesting to know if they will work on Commanders as well.

It looks like the Renegade bezel is about 3 1/8 inches so it is a perfect fit.

·
jokerswild
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LBR, I was just able to confirm that they will fit the Commander. There should be a pic on the tricplate site of a Commander with the rings before long.

Can you verify if the commander plastic bezels will accept these just like like the renegades?....I've never sat our commander next to a renny to compare

Sent from my twin-turbo Droid Razr

·
jokerswild
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, you will be the first on here with that color. I can't wait to see them. When are you ordering or have you already?

·
Registered
85 Posts
The ambers have been ordered! Just completed the order last night and sorted everything out. Still need to wait for the bike to get in now (He said the 23rd, so hoping he's not bullsh&%ting me) ... I have a pile of mods here to put on before the summer comes ha I will post some pictures once they arrive and on the install.

Awesome guys to deal with, emailed back quickly. Will definitely stay tuned for their future products. They really support the forum boys well! Give them a shout

1 - 20 of 47 Posts