Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a local custom fab shop thats into the Can-Am's. They've been talkin' forever about beefed, stretched, rear arms. Well they finally got a set done! Not much stretch on these, approx. 1" just to get a little more clearance with big rubber. They build some sick stuff! They have a mechanical engineer on staff as well as sick welders/fabricators. Check em out! They say they're testing them this weekend and then they will go into production. I'll keep ya posted on what goes down. Definitely cant see these bending. The center section is made of 4130 chromoly and the ends are mild steel. They say there jig can allow them to make arms up to 12" longer and 5" wider than stock.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Very nice looking...bet they are going to be $$$! I guess my big concern would be what bends or breaks when the trailing arms are this strong? Force from an impact has to be distributed. If the arm doesn't give, what would?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
265 Posts
wish my welds looked that good! Those make mine look like Ray Charles welded them!

·
Registered
219 Posts
+1" longer. I'm guessing if you used your stock shock/springs you wouldn't have any axle issues. It will be pretty close though, I know any lift at all on the back of a Can Am and you will pull the axles out of the diff. Keep us posted after a good ride, make sure they really test them out LOL Oh yeah and price??

Wish these were around a year ago before I put big rubber on, my tires have eaten that little triangle tab on the foot wells (the part behind your ankle). Those just might do the trick. Let us know if they make a set of foot wells too. I know Rubberdown has a set, but they're only for Poo-laris. I like taking my foot wells off for mud racing, but the trails out here are pretty deadly to ride without something to protect your foot. I can't make anything like that, because with my lack of skill at welding, I would be better off gluing something together lol Nice pics they sure do look sharp.

·
Can Am Warranty Tester
2,624 Posts
Sooo...say a guy was interested in doing a stretch.....easiest way possible with available parts. What's the difference in length from the regular driveshaft to the Max driveshaft? Say it's 6 inches....a guy could buy that, buy 6 inch stretch arms (as long as the track width is the same) then all you'd have to have fabbed is to pull the rear diff back 6 inches via a frame stretch. Stock axles should be able to be re-used. Is my thinking out of line here?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sooo...say a guy was interested in doing a stretch.....easiest way possible with available parts. What's the difference in length from the regular driveshaft to the Max driveshaft? Say it's 6 inches....a guy could buy that, buy 6 inch stretch arms (as long as the track width is the same) then all you'd have to have fabbed is to pull the rear diff back 6 inches via a frame stretch. Stock axles should be able to be re-used. Is my thinking out of line here?
If and when they're available, you can just do extended arms with extended axles. The shop building these also builds their own axles. They can spline anything, any size, any length. That would be the easiest way

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
+1" longer. I'm guessing if you used your stock shock/springs you wouldn't have any axle issues. It will be pretty close though, I know any lift at all on the back of a Can Am and you will pull the axles out of the diff. Keep us posted after a good ride, make sure they really test them out LOL Oh yeah and price??

Wish these were around a year ago before I put big rubber on, my tires have eaten that little triangle tab on the foot wells (the part behind your ankle). Those just might do the trick. Let us know if they make a set of foot wells too. I know Rubberdown has a set, but they're only for Poo-laris. I like taking my foot wells off for mud racing, but the trails out here are pretty deadly to ride without something to protect your foot. I can't make anything like that, because with my lack of skill at welding, I would be better off gluing something together lol Nice pics they sure do look sharp.
Well, first weekend, first ride. No problems. The stock axles were used and they lasted. Yeah, any longer and they will be building longer axles to go with. They pretty much have the ability to build anything so I'm trying to convince them to build front a-arms as well... hence, a complete lift. I'll run the footwell idea by them as well. If it's something that would sell and would justify the hours to design and fabricate, i'm sure they'd do it.

·
Can Am Warranty Tester
2,624 Posts
If and when they're available, you can just do extended arms with extended axles. The shop building these also builds their own axles. They can spline anything, any size, any length. That would be the easiest way
If you're going to lift it and/or widen it, this would be OK. But I think to keep the stock track, you'd need to slide the diff back otherwise the angles are going to get out of line. We shall see....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts