Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

This is my first post on this forum. I've skimmed through the items in here and found about 75% of what I was looking for, so I need to ask for the rest! haha

I just bought a 650 Outlander MAX XT and took him out for the first ride yesterday. Right of the hop, I noticed that the quad actually has a slight tilt or lean towards the right front. Sometimes when the engine break kicks in it will actually dive further to the right "corner", rather than staying even. Upon visual inpsection, looking at it's front end, there is a bit of a drop favouring that right corner. I adusted the shock tension (firmed it up one "notch" on the adjustment "screw" - actually did both sides), I tried to feel and wiggle swing arms, shock/struts, sway bars etc to see if something was loose - all feels nice and tight, I checked air pressure on the tires - all four were equal. Other than a total misalignment/maladustment from the factory, I can't imagine why this is. When driving, the quad will pull to the right a bit, and it is noticable that you have to compensate for it. Maybe the steering needs to be readjusted? I find this extremely irritating actually. A guy buys a brand new piece of equipment and ends up with issues out of the gate?

The other thing I noticed was the loud "knocking/clunking"-type sound that other guys seem to have going on from right underneath in the centre. It almost sounds identical to a rear diff in a truck that has been slammed and now has a bunch of play in it and knocks a bit when you back off the gas or something. I can make it happen at will if I do a series of sharp-ish turns at relative slow speed and I believe throttling on and off will cause it as well (not 100% sure about that part). The concensus on the knocking sound seems to be that it is "normal". I find that difficult to accept, but will, if it truly is.

The steering/leaning/uneveness bothers the heck out of me though. So, if anyone has some ideas on this please let me know!

Regards

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just picked up a 2012 500 XT and I also hear that same knock But I only hear it when I let off the throttle and apply the rear brakes. Not sure what it is but I was told that it is nothing. Anyone hear different?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Johnny O, it definitely did that a lot for me as well yesterday. However, I went out again today for a few hours, and oddly enough the noise was much less obvious and certainly less frequent. Seems the front end is less wishy-washy as well, for lack of a better term (firmer might be a better way to describe it haha), as I tweaked the front shocks a hair. It does still pull to the right a bit though, but as with the noise it was much less obvious. Maybe stiffening the front end like that had an overall affect on the balance or torsional forces on the machine, hence a reduction in noise issues? I'm not a mechanic or certified gear head by any stretch of the imagination, but it does seem odd that the issues have diminished somewhat after only compressing the front shocks/springs a bit more.

However, if anyone has any ideas or thoughts on this, please don't hesitate to take 4 minutes and shoot us a note!

regards

·
rocketdog471
618 Posts
the 650s stock shocks suck get some HPG with springs you will love them...great for plowing snow and better handleing no more dive in the corners

the 650 max is a great machine you will love it for years and years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, thanks man. Yeah I like it a lot so far. I'll look into some aftermarket shocks/springs pretty quick here. More than a couple of people have told me already to do this haha.

Seems like it will be a great machine. Tons of snot and the throttle response seems really good too. No delays when I lay into it a bit. I'll probably throw some more aggressive tyres on him right away though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Be careful Fazz If your machine is new you can void your warrenty if you make changes too it. These parts can get up there in price so just keep that in mind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
These machines do tend to dive a bit. Stiffen up the front shocks to help or upgrade the shocks to some real performance shocks. As for the pulling i would check tire pressure and be sure to test on flat and solid ground. The clutches will clunk but if you can reproduce it by rocking the machine back and forth you will need to tighten the bolts on the swaybar mounts. Mine was clunking pretty back and tightening the swaybar bolts completely eliminated the suspension clunking.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
The uneveness would drive me nuts on a brand new machine.
If your shocks are adjusted to the same (equal) settings & there is no uneven weight on the rack , I'd be hauling it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I adjusted the front springs to max tension (after having adjusted "one click" from factory a couple days ago). I'll see how she handles when I ride again next week. I really only examined the tilting thing when it was perched on the trailer, which was sitting in my garage, which is ever so slightly sloped towards a drain.........I don't recall it looking lop-sided when I had him out in the weeds. It's entirely probable that I am a moron haha. My bad.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fazz---Did you ever figure out knocking/clunking noise?

Another thread says it''s the sway bar bushings, but I checked(still look good) and tightened mine and it's still making that horrible noise.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Even with the shocks cranked all the way up, the front suspension is still way too soft. I ordered the HPG shock kit and it won't work on the G2 machines. The next available upgrade is the Fox shocks but the you have to crank them just about all the way up to keep from bottoming out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts