2006 Outlander 800Max OEM air filter?? - Outlander discussion - can-am ATV Forums - can-amtalk.com

Photo
- - - - -

2006 Outlander 800Max OEM air filter??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joevh

joevh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Your Ride:2006 800 Max Outlander

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:49 PM

I've had my above bike for about 9 years now.  The air filter has an oiled outer foam pre-filter covering what looks like a fabric, K&N style, oiled filter.  I'm not a fan of oiled fabric's filtering ability, so asked a local bike repair shop about it.  They recommend either paper or oiled foam, and said for sure that's what my Outlander would have come with OEM.

With that in mind, I ordered an OEM, BRP air filter for it from 2WheelPro's.  It didn't say what the filtering media material was, but it just arrived, and sure enough, it looks just like the one I've always had, except it's not oiled.

Is the OEM filter indeed fabric?  If so, I assume this new one requires oiling?  If so, I think I'll send it back and get a foam one for better filtering.  Actually, I kind of like the idea of a paper one, as I hate cleaning and oiling these things.  Do you guys have any answers or recommendations?

Thanks.

Joe

#2 ozymax

ozymax

Ozy for short.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2853 posts
  • Interests:Quad riding.
    Geocaching.
    Radio controlled helicopters.
    Hiking.
    4x4 touring this great country.
  • Your Ride:2012 G2 Outlander 650 Max XT

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:39 PM

My advise is to keep the one that you bought but don't oil the fabric inner.

You "lightly" oil the outer band with foam filter fluid, not oil.

Clean and treat the outer band regularly and it will do you well.

I used to run the full foam filter, but was really disappointed in how filthy the throttle body got from dirt bypass. Then the foam filters just crumble and fall apart, or the glue seam lets go.

There are several topics on here with dyno test results etc, showing that the OE filter performed better than the others.

First, wash the band in warm soapy water and totally dry the band. Don't wring the band, just squeeze it.

Lightly coat the band inside and out. I use the aerosol type filter fluid.

Then place the band in a plastic bag and massage the band around. This ensures an even coating of fluid and keeps your hands clean as a bonus.

Then carefully slide the band back onto the the filter.

This is just how I do it, there will be other opinions on air filters.

#3 joevh

joevh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Your Ride:2006 800 Max Outlander

Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:39 AM

I think I will keep this filter, I was surprised that it looks more like fabric than paper.  Is it actually paper?  Either way, I need to get rid of the old one, as the main filter wasn't supposed to be oiled.

Is there a reason to wash out the brand new foam prefilter before oiling it?

#4 stovepiper

stovepiper

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:Anything with gas or gun powder
  • Your Ride:outlander 1000 xt cammo qsc primary,stm secondary, THE BOM supermag cams, muzzy exhaust, flashed ecu by monster, monster fuel tuner,51mm throttle body and a grin like I ate a banana sideways.

Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:05 AM

X2 with ozzy, I ran a K&N for a while and the throttle body was full of gummy grime after a short while. Went back to the OEM and the foam pre filter and am much happier with the results.

#5 ozymax

ozymax

Ozy for short.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2853 posts
  • Interests:Quad riding.
    Geocaching.
    Radio controlled helicopters.
    Hiking.
    4x4 touring this great country.
  • Your Ride:2012 G2 Outlander 650 Max XT

Posted 24 November 2019 - 04:10 PM

I think I will keep this filter, I was surprised that it looks more like fabric than paper.  Is it actually paper?  Either way, I need to get rid of the old one, as the main filter wasn't supposed to be oiled.

Is there a reason to wash out the brand new foam prefilter before oiling it?

From memory, it's a white fabric rather than a paper.

No need to wash the new filter first.

According to the manuals, you can wash the inner element in a special cleaning fluid, but if you regularly wash the band, then you won't need to wash the inner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users