#1 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Your Ride:2009 800R XT

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:58 PM

Sorry if this discussion has come up before but I have been researching this quite a bit and haven't really found definite info on some of this..

My story is I currently own an 09 Outtie 800R XT.  My wife and I ride 2 up on it with one of those add a seats and bars w/ stirrups for lack of a better term.  She is small (5'0 ~100lbs), I am a foot taller and slight less than 2.5x her weight.  When we ride 2 up, the stock suspension is fairly compressed in the back with probably not much travel - axles are close to flat.  I use the bike for work around the yard, towing a tub trailer with different stuff in it, some landscaping and use it to pull my boat lift in and out which can sometimes be deep enough to where it is over the tires.  I currently have 27x9(f)/11® Zillas and an XMR stealth snorkel.  Like the bike but want to go to the longer chassis and 2 up seat for stability, comfort and whatnot.  When I/we are using it for play, we ride slower trails, some skeg, some mud and some rocks - basically everything and use dirt roads to get there.  We also use the quad fairly regularly to go to/from various neighbors on our dirt road.

I was originally looking at a 2018 1000 Outtie Max XTP.  I would have to add a snorkel of some kind and probably would want larger and more aggressive tires.  When looking at solutions for my wife to be able to better plant her feet (since she can not comfortably plant them on the std max footrests) the XMR cleats came up which got me looking at an XMR.  I certainly like the look of it but am wondering if it is the best machine for our needs.

The 1000 XMR plus the 2-up MAX seat is surprisingly less $$ than an XTP.  The cons are that I lose my front rack but gain a back rack.  My other concerns/thoughts/what I have heard is:

The XMR runs hot - I would probably wrap the exhaust from the get go to help with this.  I am not sure how this compares to a regular XTP or if this is a standard issue problem with all 1000s?  My 800 gets pretty toasty now.

The XMR is rough on trails and has less suspension travel - some guys say this, others say it is awesome on the trail.  Not sure how it would compare to my current set-up.

The XMR is rev limited at just over 100kms per hour - Don't really care about this

The XMR may/may not be rev limited at lower speeds - Haven't been able to really dig into this or understand how that would impact me.

The stock tires are rough - This info was for the Silverbacks, the reviews I have seen of the Cryptids say they are quite compliant on trails. Not sure what to think here

Some of the other XMR parts may be upgraded (Frame, Differential(s), Axles, stock clutching, etc.) - This can only be positive.

I have been a member here for quite sometime.  I know that there are many on the forum with much more experience with actually riding/working on these different machines than I have so I guess I am looking for some additional opinions/advice as to what machine would best fit the bill for me?  

Thanks for the help and sorry for the novel.  

#2 DaveB

DaveB

Can Am Warranty Tester

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2649 posts
  • Your Ride:2016 Renegade 1000 XMR

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:16 PM

For just going normal speeds or slower, plus the requirement for snorkels and real tires, I'd say the XMR fits the bill. 

The XMR runs hot - the XMR is no warmer than the other machines.

The XMR is rough on trails and has less suspension travel - the XMR shocks are stiffer and have a bit less travel...keeps the machine higher in the mud. For low speeds and two-up, maybe a bit stiff, but I doubt most people would notice. Sounds like your current set-up has the rear suspension almost fully mashed down.

The XMR is rev limited at just over 100kms per hour - Yes it is speed limited.

The XMR may/may not be rev limited at lower speeds - Rev limits are the same as other machines.(The SxS's are speed limited in Low range)

The stock tires are rough - This info was for the Silverbacks, the reviews I have seen of the Cryptids say they are quite compliant on trails.- All "lumpy" tires are rough at 1-5 mph, above that and you don't notice.

Some of the other XMR parts may be upgraded (Frame, Differential(s), Axles, stock clutching, etc.) - This can only be positive. XMR has big rear diff and lower geared low range. All other mechanicals are pretty much the same.

If you are a tinker-er....you can get the ECM re-flashed by Steve at Monster EFI in Ontario....remove speed limits, raise rev limits, change fan settings and most importantly, add fuel to the low and midrange which helps immensely with the heat problem. Steve will custom-set any parameter to your liking. For example I left my reverse rev limit and override button active...some people disable that. Also my fan settings are lowered slightly, but the on-off range was not changed...did this so the fan doesn't seem to run all the time.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

2016 Renegade 1000 XMR: "Suck My Wake II"
QSC primary, STM secondary, Yoshimura,

BRP Rad relocate, Monster EFI reflash,

Rigid LED, Cecco post brace, skids, blue plasma rope.

2016 Outlander 570L DPS: "Tank"

BRP snorkel and rad relocate, 27" Outback XTs, LED,

blue plasma winch rope, Fox shocks,

Alpine Flex plow.

Past machines:
2012 Renegade 1000 XXC
2008 Outlander 400 EFI
2007 Outlander 800 XT
Lots of older non-BRP junk

#3 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Your Ride:2009 800R XT

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

Thanks Dave.  I was leaning toward that until I spoke with my dealer.  Have used him before for a sled, he knows his stuff.  He talked me out of the XMR so I am just waiting on XTP pricing.  One of the things that turned me was he said that he wouldn't even take an XMR on trade as perception is people beat up on them.  Will probably add the BRP snorkel kit for my water use issue and peace of mind.  Thanks for the tip on Monster.  Will probably wrap my exhaust and look into that route as well.  Hope to post pics of the new ride in the next few weeks.

#4 Billy231FDNY

Billy231FDNY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Your Ride:2011 Outlander 800 XT

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:04 PM

Wondering if this same thread can be revived for comparison of 2021 Models of 1000r XMR vs. XTP Max vs. Limited Max.
I too am interested in the XMR for similar reasons. Although I’m not a mudder and wouldn’t be using it as such, just mainly trail riding/dirt and what’s intriguing to me is the newly available locking front visco diff and the extra lower range gearing that the other models do not have. I’m coming off a 2011 Outlander Max 800r.
I like the higher radiator for easy cleaning and any of the machines mentioned are using Fox shocks. But again tires are more aggressive then I’d need and would eventually change to a more trail friendly option.
Also wondering about this XMR model being BRP stupidly added weight that brings it over the 1000# registration maximum for getting it plated in New York State which this new XMR weighs 1014# now.
Has anyone ever been successful with changing a weight rating on their title by going to a certified scale and then changing that with DMV??
Thanks, hopefully someone has the newer XMR or XTP, Ltd., that can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users