Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner

Contact me with G1 Outlander Trailing Arm Failures Please

10K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  xmr_800_2012 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looking to help each other out: I had the trailing arm on my '12 XMR fail on me with low Km's on the machine. Upon further inspection I found that a weld next to the shock support on the trailering arm hadn't penetrated causing a weak spot from factory. I don't ride a lot of mud and constantly clean debris from pinch points during water breaks. After being denied warranty on something that should've been a "good will" repair, I decided to get Transport Canada involved. TC have agreed that the weld was a failure so what I'm looking for is more examples of this that I can bring to them. You can contact me here or Transport Canada directly at 1-800-333-0510.
Cheers,
Doug

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
What are you hoping to accomplish by involving the government?

While I agree that it shouldn't have broke, Can Am will claim that they have 32 million of these out there and this is the first failure of this type reported. Then they will put the blame on you for abusing the bike. In the end, you will still end up buying a trialing arm.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Dave, first off being an HET Mec. I fixed it myself. Parts alone were just under $2k. That's just enough cash to tick me off and a drop in the bucket for BRP's warranty dept. Second and most importantly, had this arm failed at a higher rate of speed I would've had an even crappier day. It's a safety issue caused by a failure at factory. Of course they denied it; that's what all warranty depts. are supposed to do. They deny and hope the customer will put up with it. Im the kind of guy that speaks up when I smell BS. And if more people did that Companies like BRP would think twice before denying claims without looking at all the facts.

#7 ·
Dave, first off being an HET Mec. I fixed it myself. Parts alone were just under $2k. That's just enough cash to tick me off and a drop in the bucket for BRP's warranty dept. Second and most importantly, had this arm failed at a higher rate of speed I would've had an even crappier day. It's a safety issue caused by a failure at factory. Of course they denied it; that's what all warranty depts. are supposed to do. They deny and hope the customer will put up with it. Im the kind of guy that speaks up when I smell BS. And if more people did that Companies like BRP would think twice before denying claims without looking at all the facts.
It cost you $2,000.00 to fix that?

#10 ·
After I bought my bike last may (2012 Xmr g1) I found out the guy I bought it from had to change the LR trailing arm because it broke. I found this out because someone on facebook recognized the bike . After I heard this my heart sank as I figured he beat the day lights out of it . I also found out it was around $1500 to fix it he fixed it him self also put spanner nut on backwards. As much as this sucks they should have a recall on frames that seems to be the bigger more common issue . Mine cracked under my seat where it curves up . There's holes in the frame maybe 8mm and my frame spider cracked from that .

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
I feel you buddy... I check my frame over after each wash and so far it's been good. The G1 frame had lots of issues, especially as the bikes gained more HP.... Its no wonder that the first bikes BRP upgraded to the G2 was the max platform, and 800's. Putting a spanner nut on backwards takes skill... takes even more to torque it to spec hahaha

#12 ·
I'm pretty sure the new 2017s have an updated design that adds strength to that area, not that it will help you out any but something to note. Im assuming since your repair bill was 2k it wrecked other components like your rear diff and axle? these things definitely need a little thinker steel in some areas and better welds in a few areas.

#18 ·
2012 xmr . Lucky I was going slow with my wife on the back . I was told after I bought the bike at 23ookm that the previous owner had the LR trailing arm brake and he replaced it now at about 6oookm the right side let go . As said the welds didn't do shit . Zero penetration .
2db42adc2b210cc3579cfb7e43bfa30d.jpg
d0d4f5d71ac17f2529c656aaaa0a7e93.jpg
868e1d30430da490bcfd729adcb7eb38.jpg
2a3e963f3a077ef9fa2d6f91b15b3d2f.jpg
5cb95224de390a4874d63cf2307353cc.jpg
b6cce215ed266c661349adac2006c74d.jpg

#21 ·
i never had a problem with mine but i know its one of the weak points after thousands of miles of off road abuse so i did about the same as you. i also had a few of the other welds finished in other areas around the shock cups.

attachicon.gif
IMG_8273.JPG
Is there a small bend in your arms ?where you put that plate or is it just my eyes ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.