Speedo wiring question - Tech Talk and How To - can-am ATV Forums - can-amtalk.com

Photo
- - - - -

Speedo wiring question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Riverrat1965

Riverrat1965

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Your Ride:Outlander

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:11 PM

Had a friend buy an outlander 800 xt and the previous owner did a change out on the speed sensor and cut the plugs off the wires. Part of the wires were not connected when he got it just trying to get the correct wires together . Wire colors on the bike are orange/green stripe, brown/orange stripe and pink. The speed sensor wires are pink , black, white . Pink to pink should be right just sure about the rest. Need a little help !

#2 ozymax

ozymax

Ozy for short.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2857 posts
  • Interests:Quad riding.
    Geocaching.
    Radio controlled helicopters.
    Hiking.
    4x4 touring this great country.
  • Your Ride:2012 G2 Outlander 650 Max XT

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:26 AM

I'm assuming that this is a G1 style bike by the colours you mention.

I don't have a G1 bike to physically check so this is from what have been able to determine from the wiring diagram.

They don't give the sensor side wiring colours though.

The Orange/Green should have + power to it with the ignition on and connects to the Red of the sensor.

The Brown/Orange should be ground and connects to the Black wire of the sensor.

The Pink wire should connect to the White of the sensor.

Attached File  Capture.JPG   61.95KB   2 downloads

#3 Riverrat1965

Riverrat1965

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Your Ride:Outlander

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:19 PM

Thanks for the reply ,been a little busy today. First day it hasn't rain in over a week ! I went back out to look at the wire side of the speedo again to double check the wire colors the on the speedo looked pink so I stripe it back down a little to make sure that it wasn't a faded red wire ,it was pink. I sorry I forgot to mention the year model or the exact size, it is an 09 outlander 800 xt . I appreciate your help. This bike has become a project ,had a lot of issues with wiring and ignition issues just got a few to go.

Thanks again for your help

Edited by Riverrat1965, 04 June 2016 - 01:53 PM.

#4 Wolv

Wolv

Mr Fix It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3903 posts
  • Interests:The Outdoors
  • Your Ride:975cc '11 Outty X-xc

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:55 AM

If you like, you can have your buddy send me his speed sensor and I'll put the correct plug back on it (of course, wired correctly).  I can also make a mating plug / pigtail for it and provide the correct wiring information to go from my pigtail to the bike's wiring harness.  All you / he will need to do is solder / shrink tube my pigtail to his harness and it'll be as good  as new.

#5 karlaw

karlaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Interests:Can Ams, Duramax's, ZR-1 Corvettes, Porsche 911 Turbo, Harley VRSCE2,
  • Your Ride:2009 Renegade XR, can am 800 xt, MAX 800 LTD, Renegade 800, 650 XT, Renegade Turbo 800, 2009 XR800, 2009 xr800, 2009 outty 800, 2006 outty800, 2007 renegade 800, 2009 polaris 850, 2007 outty800

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:42 PM

when testing the plug at back of speedometer,  anyone know which pin controls the mileage to add up ?   Which pin is the speed?  Which pin is the ground?

My mileage never increases,  and I need to figure out if I am getting voltage sent to the speedometer head.  Also need to know if I would have to jack up rear wheels in 2wd, start up engine, and put it in gear to be able to get a voltage reading once I figure out which pin is the Mileage Pin ??

thanks !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users