15 replies to this topic

#1 snowolf

snowolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Your Ride:08 renegade 500 03 raptor 660

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:36 PM

switched into 4wd this weekend to climb a small sand hill. Now it wont come out of 4wd. the indicator never goes away and hear no clicking etc.... only about 12 hrs on quad. never been in mud or water yet.

08 renegade 500

anyone have any experience with theirs?

Edited by snowolf, 25 April 2010 - 09:37 PM.

#2 tommilicious

tommilicious

I'm awesome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3548 posts
  • Interests:ATV Riding
  • Your Ride:DS 450X

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:29 PM

Yes. This happened to my quad when new in the cold weather. I just have to push harder on the button now to engage 2wd or 4wd. I would just trying to put some pressure on the button to see if that makes it engage. i think the rubber seal got shifted on mine and causes it to need the harder pressure when switching from 2wd to 4wd..

Good luck

Riding anything I got

#3 snowolf

snowolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:51 AM

Yes. This happened to my quad when new in the cold weather. I just have to push harder on the button now to engage 2wd or 4wd. I would just trying to put some pressure on the button to see if that makes it engage. i think the rubber seal got shifted on mine and causes it to need the harder pressure when switching from 2wd to 4wd..

Good luck

well tried pushing harder on the button. ...nothing . not even a click. indicator never changes. darn. and my dealer it was bought at is 180 miles away.

#4 Jake

Jake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Your Ride:08 Renegade

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:39 AM

well tried pushing harder on the button. ...nothing . not even a click. indicator never changes. darn. and my dealer it was bought at is 180 miles away.

better to be stuck in 4 wheel drive than not have it at all. hopefully it will fix itself
race it
break it
fix it
repeat

Those that say it can not be done, should not interupt those doing it.

#5 Puddles

Puddles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Hunt'n, Fish'n, Wheel'n, Sled'n,  Play'n guitar.
  • Your Ride:08 max 800 xt

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:44 AM

Mine did the same thing last weekend. I just kept riding it and it came out of 4 by itself after a few miles.
"Life's tough....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne

#6 crewdog506

crewdog506

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4444 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Outlander 800 XT

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:24 AM

Is it actually stuck in 4wd or is the indicator stuck on. If it's not in 4wd but the indicator is on, try cleaning the 4wd indicator switch. It's not hard to get to, but it's tough to explain. If you have a service manual it will show how to get it out. My buddys 09 rene just did the same thing. would go in and out of 4wd but the indicator was always on. I cleaned the contact for the wiring on the switch and the switch itself, and it was good.

#7 snowolf

snowolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

Is it actually stuck in 4wd or is the indicator stuck on. If it's not in 4wd but the indicator is on, try cleaning the 4wd indicator switch. It's not hard to get to, but it's tough to explain. If you have a service manual it will show how to get it out. My buddys 09 rene just did the same thing. would go in and out of 4wd but the indicator was always on. I cleaned the contact for the wiring on the switch and the switch itself, and it was good.

its stuck in 4 wd. drove probably 30 miles and never could get it out.

#8 bender

bender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Outlander 650 XT

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:40 AM

its stuck in 4 wd. drove probably 30 miles and never could get it out.

Check the connector on the actuator itself, down by floor board.
27" Zillas on stock rims
Monster Customs Skids
Symtec Heated Grips
XMR Snorkel System
Steel Frame Mod
UNI Filter
Dayco XTX

#9 snowolf

snowolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:15 PM

Check the connector on the actuator itself, down by floor board.

Where is this connector located? pic? i know where the locking mechanism is down on the drive shaft....

#10 crewdog506

crewdog506

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4444 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Outlander 800 XT

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:43 PM

remove the cover by your right ankle, it covers the gearbox indicator switches and gearbox fill plug, when you take it off, there is a big piece of plastic, that is the actuator, there is a plug on it.

#11 rudedog

rudedog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Your Ride:800 renegade

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:12 PM

remove the cover by your right ankle, it covers the gearbox indicator switches and gearbox fill plug, when you take it off, there is a big piece of plastic, that is the actuator, there is a plug on it.

Dang, all this good info, I just dropped both mine off at the dealer, my 800 cause I believe the swith is bad, boot is cracked and we ride in alot of mud down her, 500 for the 10 hr service, wifes bike is new.

#12 snowolf

snowolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

found the issue this weekend before dropping at dealer. Went to go back to a campfire and found my headlights werent working.

pulled it into garage and starting looking for a fuse. pulled the cowling off to get to front fuse box and..... there was a wiring harness just dangling there. found where it plugged into and replaced a 20amp fuse and ..wahla.....headlights and 2/4wd drive is working again.

still took to shop for valve adj after 21 hrs and clear and set maintenance codes to their highest values. getting the greeting reprogrammed. also a spare key made since its already gonna be hooked to their diagnostic laptop......

Edited by snowolf, 31 May 2010 - 04:44 PM.

#13 brittstory2019

brittstory2019

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Your Ride:15 can am outlander L

Posted 04 March 2020 - 09:27 PM

I'm a newbie, so I just bought a 2015 outlander L 450 last month it had 18 hours and 103 miles. I figured it needed an oil change so I did that. Am I good y'all think or you think I should get my valves adjusted? Guy bought it brand new to ride to hunting club and it shut down on him as soon as he bought it. Brand new

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

#14 brittstory2019

brittstory2019

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 09:29 PM

I'm a newbie, so I just bought a 2015 outlander L 450 last month it had 18 hours and 103 miles. I figured it needed an oil change so I did that. Am I good y'all think or you think I should get my valves adjusted? Guy bought it brand new to ride to hunting club and it shut down on him as soon as he bought it. Brand new

Thanks for any help

#15 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4526 posts
  • Your Ride:2010 Renegade XXC 800R //// 2011 Outty XXC 800R

Posted 06 March 2020 - 04:30 PM

I don't think they would need to be adjusted unless you hear a ticking sound. i know the manuel calls for them to be done at 10 hrs but i have never checked them that early unless there was good reason to. if you cam do it your self by all means it may make you feel better but i definitely would not take it to the stealer ship to do it. 

I would keep an extra set of spark plugs handy in case you ever need them, any auto parts store will have them in stock for about 3 bucks a piece. 

#16 brittstory2019

brittstory2019

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 02:56 PM

Thanks 25th I blew my plug out under my gauge checked all fuses and it was where I hooked my LED light bar straight to the switch with using a relay., The ground had come off which caused it to go into limp mode. Super crazy first atv I had that did that but I like it because it told me something wasn't right. It's crazy how a simple electrical problem causes your can am to go freaking nuts and act crazy you know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users