5 replies to this topic

#1 mikeallencross

mikeallencross

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Your Ride:2019 1000 xmr

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:35 PM

Hi guys, i have a 2017 1000 outlander xmr. I've had an seemingly random yet reoccurring overheating issue. It has not happened Pryor to repairing a damaged rad hose. I've used the bleaders to try to remove air. Every now and then it will overheat. Ive added a fan switch so i can keep the fan on longer (however i believe if i run that with the engine running it will confuse the ecm and things act up. So i still use it while I'm shut off to cool down) Dose the boyesen water pump actually keep it running cooler or is an ecm reprogram the best line of action? Also it will puke antifreeze out the overflow fairly often i keep some with me to top up but shouldn't need to.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

#2 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4526 posts
  • Your Ride:2010 Renegade XXC 800R //// 2011 Outty XXC 800R

Posted 03 January 2020 - 05:49 PM

loosing coolant in there atvs can be a bear to bleed the system out. most likely unless your radiator is clogged it still has air in the system. a few things you can try. jack up front of quad 2 or 3 feet, start quad, remove radiator cap, let it run and and squeeze both radiator hoses. this can release air bubbles in the system. when you squeeze the hoses the coolant will rise in the radiator so watch that as you do it. do this before the fan and thermostat open then again once it shuts off. then after that process fill the radiator back up when its level. this has worked for me in the past. also check those fiber washers on the bleeders they have a tendency to tear and that can let air in the system, i always keep 2 spares. 

with the puking coolant, again these things can be finicky and most do not like to be topped off to the full line or over filled, mine will puke fluid if i fill  it above the low level line so you can try that and see if that stops your issue. 

have you ever removed your radiator and soaked it in a tub of hot water and  cleaning solvent ? if you haven't and ride a lot of mud its probably something you should do. i do mine once per year or two and i only trail ride and avoid mud at all costs. 

I would not waste the money on that high dollar water pump. i believe the 17 and newer machines all have a new high powered pump.I Would clean your system bleed it a few more times and you should be set. 

#3 ozymax

ozymax

Ozy for short.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2854 posts
  • Interests:Quad riding.
    Geocaching.
    Radio controlled helicopters.
    Hiking.
    4x4 touring this great country.
  • Your Ride:2012 G2 Outlander 650 Max XT

Posted 03 January 2020 - 06:28 PM

I've had an seemingly random yet reoccurring overheating issue. It has not happened Pryor to repairing a damaged rad hose.

So it didn't have an issue before, so throwing water pumps and fan switches at is not what I'd do.

Find the problem and sort it out. Most likely it still has air trapped in the system.

Try 25ths method of lifting the radiator high and massaging the hoses etc.

When the radiator hose was damaged, did the engine get a gut full of mud into the cooling system? I assume you were riding in mud at the time.

#4 mikeallencross

mikeallencross

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:12 PM

So it didn't have an issue before, so throwing water pumps and fan switches at is not what I'd do.
Find the problem and sort it out. Most likely it still has air trapped in the system.
Try 25ths method of lifting the radiator high and massaging the hoses etc.
When the radiator hose was damaged, did the engine get a gut full of mud into the cooling system? I assume you were riding in mud at the time.

Actually i was plowing snow so it would be clean, but ya could still have air i guess, thought it should work it's way out by now, and the bleed locations especially the left are not easy to get to. But I'll have to give it another go. Tks.

#5 mikeallencross

mikeallencross

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:19 PM

loosing coolant in there atvs can be a bear to bleed the system out. most likely unless your radiator is clogged it still has air in the system. a few things you can try. jack up front of quad 2 or 3 feet, start quad, remove radiator cap, let it run and and squeeze both radiator hoses. this can release air bubbles in the system. when you squeeze the hoses the coolant will rise in the radiator so watch that as you do it. do this before the fan and thermostat open then again once it shuts off. then after that process fill the radiator back up when its level. this has worked for me in the past. also check those fiber washers on the bleeders they have a tendency to tear and that can let air in the system, i always keep 2 spares. 

with the puking coolant, again these things can be finicky and most do not like to be topped off to the full line or over filled, mine will puke fluid if i fill  it above the low level line so you can try that and see if that stops your issue. 

have you ever removed your radiator and soaked it in a tub of hot water and  cleaning solvent ? if you haven't and ride a lot of mud its probably something you should do. i do mine once per year or two and i only trail ride and avoid mud at all costs. 

I would not waste the money on that high dollar water pump. i believe the 17 and newer machines all have a new high powered pump.I Would clean your system bleed it a few more times and you should be set. 

Ive heard of lifting the bike the xmr has the high tilted rad and the cap would then be horizontal to the rad but i may have to try it. Never herd about the bleed washer issue. Thanks. Does sound like an air issue, so I'll keep trying.

#6 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4526 posts
  • Your Ride:2010 Renegade XXC 800R //// 2011 Outty XXC 800R

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:03 PM

Actually i was plowing snow so it would be clean, but ya could still have air i guess, thought it should work it's way out by now, and the bleed locations especially the left are not easy to get to. But I'll have to give it another go. Tks.

I replaced a cracked radiator right before a trip to utah, 1800 miles one way. i did every thing i was suppose to do for bleeding the system before i got there. on the first ride i got the over heating light and fluid puke. utah has it all fast open fire roads, bumpy steep inclines, very high elevations that pressurizes closed systems, just every thing you would think that would release all the air bubbles. it was not until about day 4 and 400 miles that i was finally able to ride without it over heating. i have never had an issue over heating before that or since so it can be a problematic issue that just takes time to work it self out. 

Edited by 25TH INFANTRY, 11 January 2020 - 06:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users