10 replies to this topic

#1 OntarioKid

OntarioKid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Your Ride:2010 renegade 500

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

I am looking at purchasing a 2017 outlander 650. i am trying to decide between the dps and base model. i dont have the funds for the xt or xmr models, so it has down to the two base models. I like that the dps has the upgraded tires as well as power steering. however i plan on doing some mudding with my bike so i would probably end up upgrading the tires to itp mega mayhems or similar. i am wondering what people who have owned either bike think of it. hows the power compared to an 800, what should i add to the bike first, have you had any problems with the machine?

Thank you.

#2 CDR

CDR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Your Ride:2017 Outlander 650 MAX XT

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

I purchased a 2017 Outlander Max XT 650 back in mid March. It has been great so far and I have not been kind to it. I like the power steering and it handles well even in rockey Vermont hilly terrain. The power is all I need or want I really don't see how much more power I would want or be able to use.

Edited by CDR, 22 May 2017 - 07:21 PM.

#3 Skioutty

Skioutty

Advanced Member

• Moderators+
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,531 posts
  • Your Ride:08 800XT

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:14 PM

If I were in the market today I 100% would not purchase a machine without power steering. 

• CDR likes this
Posted Image  :rotating can-am:Posted Image

Character is doing the right thing even when nobody is watching!

#4 Airbornekat

Airbornekat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Your Ride:2016 can-am Outlander L 570

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

I was told by a dealer that if you have a bad arm or shoulder...power steering is a must.  If not, you will be fine without it.  I'm fortunate to be 37 and have no health issues.    My two cents.

On the power side, I have the Outlander L 570 and it has way more power than I need.  I'm 6'4" and weigh 240lbs.  I only do dry trail riding though, no deep mud, no pushing snow, no towing.  I was on a budget too, out the door with 4 year extended warranty and mandatory shipping/assembling fees/paperwork brought it to $8200.

Edited by Airbornekat, 23 May 2017 - 12:26 PM.

#5 7shortmag

7shortmag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,351 posts
  • Interests:Benchrest Shooting, Custom Gun Building, ATV Riding, Spending time with my family.
  • Your Ride:2010 Outty XTP, 975 MRRPM BBK, Modified QSC Primary, Modified STM Secondary, UHMW Frame Mod, GoHard Skid Plates, 26" Bighorn 1.0, ITP Rims, Stadium Shocks, HMF Swamp Series, Open Air Box, MRRPM Gen 2 Cams, Tune Monster ECM, Spark Monster, Port and Polished Heads, Greaseable Steering Stem Bushing, Brass A Arm Bushings, Billet Aluminum wheel hubs, Billet aluminum through shaft, 10" Rigid light bar, MRRPM remote oil filter adaptor, Remote oil cooler, More seat time than anyone else on the planet.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:27 PM

Say anything you want about "I don't need power steering, never had it on a bike yet".

Once you have a bike with power steering, you will never own another one without it.

End of story.............

• CDR likes this

Nobody Gets In to See The Wizard!, Not Nobody, Not No How!

#6 Airbornekat

Airbornekat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Your Ride:2016 can-am Outlander L 570

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

7shortmag makes a good point. Can you test dive both?  Might be up there with sliced bread.  I have never had or tried power steering. 

#7 OntarioKid

OntarioKid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Your Ride:2010 renegade 500

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:28 PM

im gonna try and test drive both. im 18 6'2 and 250lbs. i would be able to afford either but i do plan on doing the factory snorkel and rad relocate for the extra protection and peace of mind. however i would be able to do both of these mods and a good set of tires on the base model. but only one of these on the dps. how is the torque on the 650? 

#8 VtecGSR952000

VtecGSR952000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Your Ride:2011 Outlander 800XT

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:18 PM

I see 1000XT models going cheap around here anymore.  Gen2 dont seem to hold value so well.....maybe worth looking on craigslist if you're not opposed to buying lightly used.  I seen a 2013 camo 1000XT with 160 miles go for $6700 couple weeks ago.

#9 Redfire427

Redfire427

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, photography
  • Your Ride:2016 Outlander 570 XT

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:23 PM

I have had both, power steering and non-power steering and I can tell you I would never buy another ATV without it. I use to wear myself out silly on a day of trail riding where my arms and shoulders were literally crippled the next day. Now I can ride all day and don't get tired or sore at all. Amazing technology. If you plan to change tires, that will likely only increase the resistance in the handlebars, so in saying that, power steering is a must.

Carmen

#10 BackcountryBoy

BackcountryBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Your Ride:2014 Can-Am Outlander 650 XT

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:28 AM

Power steering all the way! No question! Especially if you want to add bigger tires down the road... I grew up riding atvs without it and would never go back. It's just that good...

As for the 650, it's great! I also bought the most I could afford and that was a 2-year old 650 XT. Sure the 800/850 has more power and would be a blast to ride, but ultimately I enjoy riding for the riding and just getting out. I'd probably be happy with a 450 if that's all I could afford.... but I would probably take out a small loan for power steering. :-)

If you do try riding one or end up getting one, don't even waste your time in High gear. Low can go like 50 mph anyway and there is a lot more torque. It's also better for the clutch and belt.

Edited by BackcountryBoy, 01 June 2017 - 03:35 AM.

#11 GYPSY400

GYPSY400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Your Ride:2003 Outlander 400

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:17 PM

All the dealers in my area ( northern ontario) won't even stock the DPS models, as they get better incentives on an XT so they can deal more.. and it's hard to get a deal on the base model.
If your dealer won't budge on MSRP price, find another dealer.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Edited by GYPSY400, 04 June 2017 - 08:18 PM.

GYPSY400

2003 Outlander 400 4X4

www.outlander400.piczo.com
quite possibly the O-400 Guru??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users