#1 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • Your Ride:2010 Renegade XXC 800R //// 2011 Outty XXC 800R

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

So my rear drive shaft seal started leak, i pulled the entire unit to replace. Now that i have it out is there anything else i should be looking at replacing or checking. i did order the other o rings and bearing just in case. The piñon is nice and tight no side to side or up and down movement and no oil past the piñon. not sure what else to check as I've never done a repair like this before. any tips or advise on what i should be doing since its out. do i need to regrease the bearing or piñon or can i just use the gear oil or nothing is required?

#2 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

Attached File  IMG_1297.JPG   47.95KB   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1299.JPG   64.86KB   4 downloads

#3 story5253

story5253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Your Ride:2017 Outlander XT-P 1000R

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

I have no clue but this sounds like something to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

Can't get the oil seal out. I have a seal puller and I've tried different sized screw drivers. What's the trick to get them out? I'm afraid to use to much pressure as I do not want to damage the piñon or anything else behind the seal.

#5 ozymax

ozymax

Ozy for short.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts
  • Interests:Quad riding.
    Geocaching.
    Radio controlled helicopters.
    Hiking.
    4x4 touring this great country.
  • Your Ride:2012 G2 Outlander 650 Max XT

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:47 PM

I use a smaller sized screw driver and puncature the metal face of the seal, out near the outer edge of the seal.

Don't drive the screw driver down the edge of the seal, or you will score the allow housing.

This will buckle the seal shape and then you can lever the seal out.

The nut sits just behind the seal so you won't damage the bearing, but make sure you don't damage the alloy housing!!.

No need to do anything with the bearings, as they run in gear oil.

And don't forget the pinion washer. :D

#6 7shortmag

7shortmag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts
  • Interests:Benchrest Shooting, Custom Gun Building, ATV Riding, Spending time with my family.
  • Your Ride:2010 Outty XTP, 975 MRRPM BBK, Modified QSC Primary, Modified STM Secondary, UHMW Frame Mod, GoHard Skid Plates, 26" Bighorn 1.0, ITP Rims, Stadium Shocks, HMF Swamp Series, Open Air Box, MRRPM Gen 2 Cams, Tune Monster ECM, Spark Monster, Port and Polished Heads, Greaseable Steering Stem Bushing, Brass A Arm Bushings, Billet Aluminum wheel hubs, Billet aluminum through shaft, 10" Rigid light bar, MRRPM remote oil filter adaptor, Remote oil cooler, More seat time than anyone else on the planet.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:39 AM

Make sure you install a new wear ring on the driveshaft yoke.

Nobody Gets In to See The Wizard!, Not Nobody, Not No How!

#7 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

Yes sir! I have the old wear ring off now I'm trying to find something suitable to use to pounder her on with, with out damaging the new wear ring. What's everyone using??

#8 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:56 PM

Yes sir! I have the old wear ring off now I'm trying to find something suitable to use to pounder her on with, with out damaging the new wear ring. What's everyone using??

went to auto zone, a 34 mm 12 point socket seemed to be the best fit that i found, Thoughts, is there a better size option? i was also thinking about using the old wear ring but its cut in half so i don't know if that will work or not. i did go ahead bought a spare wear ring for the front just in case, i  don't want to use it only to find out it wont work and then its damaged. 

#9 VtecGSR952000

VtecGSR952000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Your Ride:2011 Outlander 800XT

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:37 PM

I think I have always used a socket as well......seems to work just fine.  The only time it gets tricky is when it gets flush with the flange.....has to be just the right size to push it slightly past flush.  I always try and put it right where the old one was......most Ive done aren't flush on the end.

#10 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:58 AM

I think I have always used a socket as well......seems to work just fine.  The only time it gets tricky is when it gets flush with the flange.....has to be just the right size to push it slightly past flush.  I always try and put it right where the old one was......most Ive done aren't flush on the end.

That's the problem, getting them on is easy till you have to go past flush. If that's all the further you go it leaks. I took a pic before I cut the wear ring off. Do you remember what size socket you used?
Attached File  IMG_1309.JPG   57.82KB   3 downloads

#11 VtecGSR952000

VtecGSR952000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Your Ride:2011 Outlander 800XT

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:16 AM

That's the problem, getting them on is easy till you have to go past flush. If that's all the further you go it leaks. I took a pic before I cut the wear ring off. Do you remember what size socket you used?
attachicon.gifIMG_1309.JPG

I sure dont......I have a full set of metric and standard sockets clear up to 36mm/1-1/2", so I just kept grabbing them until I found the right size!  I dont have a spare wear ring in my tool box or I'd check for ya!

#12 7shortmag

7shortmag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts
  • Interests:Benchrest Shooting, Custom Gun Building, ATV Riding, Spending time with my family.
  • Your Ride:2010 Outty XTP, 975 MRRPM BBK, Modified QSC Primary, Modified STM Secondary, UHMW Frame Mod, GoHard Skid Plates, 26" Bighorn 1.0, ITP Rims, Stadium Shocks, HMF Swamp Series, Open Air Box, MRRPM Gen 2 Cams, Tune Monster ECM, Spark Monster, Port and Polished Heads, Greaseable Steering Stem Bushing, Brass A Arm Bushings, Billet Aluminum wheel hubs, Billet aluminum through shaft, 10" Rigid light bar, MRRPM remote oil filter adaptor, Remote oil cooler, More seat time than anyone else on the planet.

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

attachicon.gifIMG_1309.JPG

You seem to do this fairly often.

If you're not in a big hurry i could make you a steel ring to install the wear rings with.

TXT me....

Nobody Gets In to See The Wizard!, Not Nobody, Not No How!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users