7 replies to this topic

#1 Marno650

Marno650

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Your Ride:2009 Can Am outlander max 650

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

I have a 2009 Outlander 650 max. I bought it second hand. The bike has not been used a lot and only done 67 hours. Every time when the quad is started it runs. However when I switch it off with the ignition still on, the engine light comes on and it wouldn't start. I then have to switch it off completely (it takes about ten seconds for the shut down sequence). Only after I turn the ignition switch on then would it start and the engine light is off. The same thing happens every time. Can anybody please help with advice to fix this as it is very frustrating?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#2 ozymax

ozymax

Ozy for short.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts
  • Interests:Quad riding.
    Geocaching.
    Radio controlled helicopters.
    Hiking.
    4x4 touring this great country.
  • Your Ride:2012 G2 Outlander 650 Max XT

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:14 PM

Thats an odd one.

I wonder if you simply have a switch issue.

The earlier machines have the check engine light come on if the brakes are applied for a cetain period of time. There also is a message that scrolls across the dash at that time.

Some bikes also suffer from ignition switch issues. Next time the no start happens, try holding in the start button whilst cycling the key between "ON" and "LIGHTS ON" and see if it fires up.

Also try spraying some WD40 into the ignition switch. This seems to give the key better communication for the chip in the key.

#3 Skioutty

Skioutty

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,512 posts
  • Your Ride:08 800XT

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

Ever since new, on a rare occasion when it's hot mine will act up.

If I turn it off via the switch but then move the switch back to run only so the fan will stay powered on.

If I then hit the start button, I get nothing. I then have to turn it off and wait for the dash to go blank before it will reset and start again. 

All this is always while the key is in the run position. 

Mine is an 08 800 and I never noticed an engine light on. 

150x150_forum_signature_alpha__0011_F-15  :rotating can-am:49a32012ba348129e43bc509332344f6.jpg

Character is doing the right thing even when nobody is watching!

#4 Marno650

Marno650

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

Thats an odd one.
I wonder if you simply have a switch issue.
The earlier machines have the check engine light come on if the brakes are applied for a cetain period of time. There also is a message that scrolls across the dash at that time.
Some bikes also suffer from ignition switch issues. Next time the no start happens, try holding in the start button whilst cycling the key between "ON" and "LIGHTS ON" and see if it fires up.
Also try spraying some WD40 into the ignition switch. This seems to give the key better communication for the chip in the key.

Thank you. I will go and try it now I will give feedback later

#5 Marno650

Marno650

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

Thank you. I will go and try it now I will give feedback later

I just checked. The rear brake light is on at all times. Do you think it might be a sensor. Even when the lights are off the rear light is on. When I press the brake there is no change the light stays on. Where is the brake sensor?

#6 Marno650

Marno650

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:47 AM

I just checked. The rear brake light is on at all times. Do you think it might be a sensor. Even when the lights are off the rear light is on. When I press the brake there is no change the light stays on. Where is the brake sensor?

Just checked everything. No change. Thank you for the help. I will let you know if I get the problem

#7 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • Your Ride:2010 Renegade XXC 800R //// 2011 Outty XXC 800R

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

I want to say the starting issue has always been there and the key needs cycled as in you can't leave it in the on position for more than a minute without it running, if you do it will not start and you'll need to turn the key off for a minute in order to start it. Now this has always been the case with the older machines not sure on the new ones.

#8 Marno650

Marno650

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

I want to say the starting issue has always been there and the key needs cycled as in you can't leave it in the on position for more than a minute without it running, if you do it will not start and you'll need to turn the key off for a minute in order to start it. Now this has always been the case with the older machines not sure on the new ones.

Thank you for the response, however the time makes no difference. Whether you start immediately or wait for a bit it does that always. I have checked. Other quads do not have the same problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users