#1 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • Your Ride:2010 Renegade XXC 800R //// 2011 Outty XXC 800R

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

So this weekend my 2010 renegade 800 xxc hit 5000 miles. While at hatfield i noticed my front drive shaft had up and down and side to side play. Im going to order the entire front drive shaft is there anything else i need for this repair? i replaced the front seal and wear ring about 2000 miles ago, I'm thinking thats separate and will not need to be pulled out and potentially damaged or am i wrong? Also what milage are most people getting out of these? is it a good idea to swap out the rear as well with my milage or do they last longer?

#2 7shortmag

7shortmag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts
  • Interests:Benchrest Shooting, Custom Gun Building, ATV Riding, Spending time with my family.
  • Your Ride:2010 Outty XTP, 975 MRRPM BBK, Modified QSC Primary, Modified STM Secondary, UHMW Frame Mod, GoHard Skid Plates, 26" Bighorn 1.0, ITP Rims, Stadium Shocks, HMF Swamp Series, Open Air Box, MRRPM Gen 2 Cams, Tune Monster ECM, Spark Monster, Port and Polished Heads, Greaseable Steering Stem Bushing, Brass A Arm Bushings, Billet Aluminum wheel hubs, Billet aluminum through shaft, 10" Rigid light bar, MRRPM remote oil filter adaptor, Remote oil cooler, More seat time than anyone else on the planet.

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:59 AM

I have 46,000 miles on my front driveshaft. The rear has been replaced/rebuilt several times.

You probably want to swap your out and replace them.

Please send your used ones to me and I will see that they are properly destroyed so no one can get hurt on them.

Nobody Gets In to See The Wizard!, Not Nobody, Not No How!

#3 story5253

story5253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Your Ride:2017 Outlander XT-P 1000R

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:55 AM

I'm not sure how much a seal and wear ring is. But I'd think it would be good insurance to change it. While you already have the drive shaft out. It's always been my luck that if I do a job like this, and don't do the seal and wear ring. It ends up going out a couple rides later. Just my 2cents.

Question since we are on the topic of the front drive shaft. Is the boot closest to the diff a real problem? I have seen a couple you tube videos where they blame the that boot because it flexes. Causing the shaft to have enough play to either come out of the diff. Or where it goes into the transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 xmr_800_2012

xmr_800_2012

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Your Ride:2012 xmr 800

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:52 AM

I have 46,000 miles on my front driveshaft. The rear has been replaced/rebuilt several times.

You probably want to swap your out and replace them.
Please send your used ones to me and I will see that they are properly destroyed so no one can get hurt on them.

You have 46000 miles on a quad ?! What's the bike ? How many diff/tranny/engine swaps did that involve

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

2012 XMR 800

Ricochet skid plates

HMF swamp XL

snorkel extensions

13151671_10156932595935080_3868773722378

#5 7shortmag

7shortmag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts
  • Interests:Benchrest Shooting, Custom Gun Building, ATV Riding, Spending time with my family.
  • Your Ride:2010 Outty XTP, 975 MRRPM BBK, Modified QSC Primary, Modified STM Secondary, UHMW Frame Mod, GoHard Skid Plates, 26" Bighorn 1.0, ITP Rims, Stadium Shocks, HMF Swamp Series, Open Air Box, MRRPM Gen 2 Cams, Tune Monster ECM, Spark Monster, Port and Polished Heads, Greaseable Steering Stem Bushing, Brass A Arm Bushings, Billet Aluminum wheel hubs, Billet aluminum through shaft, 10" Rigid light bar, MRRPM remote oil filter adaptor, Remote oil cooler, More seat time than anyone else on the planet.

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:54 AM

It's a 2010 Outty 800 XTp

It has had several different engine configurations

1 gearbox

#6 Looker

Looker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Quads,fishing
  • Your Ride:2011 Outlander, Honda450r, 2004,2005

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:20 PM

Did you make sure the small bolt that holds the drive shaft was still in? Just got home the other day noticed mine had a lot of play and that small bolt came out

#7 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:27 AM

I checked the rear one so I know it's there, I planed on Checking last night after work but I was whipped. I'll check it Friday, that would be real nice if that was it. I five seals to change and I'm not looking forward to it.

#8 ponyboy96

ponyboy96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Your Ride:2011 Renegade 500

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

I'd check the bolts and the u joints. Shafts don't just die like that. Both those items can be replaced for min cost.

2011 Can Am Renegade 500 - Elka's Front & Rear - Working on the rider mod.

#9 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:04 AM

Took the drive shaft out this weekend. Firsts thing I noticed was diff oil in the rubber boot when I took off the clamps, about an ounce. Next was the coupling sleeve seemed to be the problem area and what's making the entire shaft move. The coupling shaft moves in and out with a little bit of force but if it's pushed in it's pretty tight. Not sure if the wear ring can make things loose, this one has about 3000 miles on it.

#10 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:07 AM

Attached File  IMG_1159.PNG   239.98KB   9 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1134.JPG   40.76KB   9 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1137.JPG   60.24KB   9 downloads

#11 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:09 AM

Attached File  IMG_1140.JPG   56.46KB   8 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1139.JPG   48.99KB   8 downloads

#12 ozymax

ozymax

Ozy for short.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts
  • Interests:Quad riding.
    Geocaching.
    Radio controlled helicopters.
    Hiking.
    4x4 touring this great country.
  • Your Ride:2012 G2 Outlander 650 Max XT

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:05 AM

The fact that you had gear oil in the boot, says to me, that the diff coupler has been loose and oil has travelled along the internal spline.

The multiple grooves on the wear ring are also a surprise.

I don't see the washer that goes on the pinion bolt. Is it missing? If it is, that would explain a lot.

I'd replace the wear ring, the pinion O ring and seal.

I'd confirm the flatness of the coupler end, by rubbing it on a good wet stone. I'd also surface the washer face on the stone.

I'd assemble the coupler onto the diff spline with a generous smear of Loctite and coat the bolt with Loctite aswell.

Place a generous helping of Moly grease into the coupler and on the shaft spline and reassemble. The shaft spline looks fine to me, it's supposed to curved.

#13 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:02 AM

Thanks oz! The coupler was definitely loose and I suspect after a few miles it will be again, as I can just give it a little tug and as it sits assembled now and it will pull right out.

I don't think I have ever had that piñon bolt out before so I think the washer should be in there.
It doesn't look to me like anything is holding the coupler in place. is it just held in place by the wear ring and seal?

#14 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

I think the wear rings multiple wear rings are from my last ride, when I noticed it loose it was to late to fix and I was in WV and put on 300 miles like that.
Also when you say replace piñon o ring are you referring to part #23?

Attached File  IMG_1160.PNG   144.68KB   7 downloads

Edited by 25TH INFANTRY, 02 May 2017 - 11:07 AM.

#15 ozymax

ozymax

Ozy for short.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts
    Geocaching.
    Hiking.

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

Thanks oz! The coupler was definitely loose and I suspect after a few miles it will be again, as I can just give it a little tug and as it sits assembled now and it will pull right out.

I don't think I have ever had that piñon bolt out before so I think the washer should be in there.
It doesn't look to me like anything is holding the coupler in place. is it just held in place by the wear ring and seal?

If you have never undone the pinion bolt, then the washer (#67) is definately missing.

The pic you posted of the pinion, has the bolt done up without a washer. That's what prompted me to mention it.

The bolt and washer is what holds the coupler in place.

I think the wear rings multiple wear rings are from my last ride, when I noticed it loose it was to late to fix and I was in WV and put on 300 miles like that.
Also when you say replace piñon o ring are you referring to part #23?

attachicon.gifIMG_1160.PNG

Yes. The O ring seals against the bearing and the coupler and prevents oil from travelling up the spline.

#16 7shortmag

7shortmag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

The reason you have so many rings and grooves around the wear ring is from the last time I rode with you in WV.

We had to remove the shaft and drive the wear ring on further because the seal lips were "missing" the wear ring.

#17 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:54 AM

If you have never undone the pinion bolt, then the washer (#67) is definately missing.

The pic you posted of the pinion, has the bolt done up without a washer. That's what prompted me to mention it.

The bolt and washer is what holds the coupler in place.

Yes. The O ring seals against the bearing and the coupler and prevents oil from travelling up the spline.

Ok that makes sense. When i took it apart all i had to do was pull the coupler out, i did not have to undo the pinon bolt. When i replace oring #23 is there any special tools ill need to get the pinon out, looks like theres a spanner nut right before the o ring. if so is that something most automotive shops would carry and if so what do i ask for?

#18 25TH INFANTRY

25TH INFANTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

The reason you have so many rings and grooves around the wear ring is from the last time I rode with you in WV.

We had to remove the shaft and drive the wear ring on further because the seal lips were "missing" the wear ring.

True! i don't think that was the last time we rode together, as that was about 2 years ago. i remember beating it on there with a socket at zero dark thirty. I'm guessing if i took that piñon bolt out then i lost the washer in the dark and its been like that for 2500 or so miles. 

#19 ozymax

ozymax

Ozy for short.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts
    Geocaching.
    Hiking.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:05 PM

Ok that makes sense. When i took it apart all i had to do was pull the coupler out, i did not have to undo the pinon bolt. When i replace oring #23 is there any special tools ill need to get the pinon out, looks like theres a spanner nut right before the o ring. if so is that something most automotive shops would carry and if so what do i ask for?

You don't have to remove the pinion or undo the retaining nut.

The O ring simply slides down the pinion shaft spline and rests against the bearing.

A bent paper clip will probably be all you'll need to pick the O ring out.

#20 ozymax

ozymax

Ozy for short.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts
    Geocaching.
    Hiking.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:09 PM

I'm guessing if i took that piñon bolt out then i lost the washer in the dark and its been like that for 2500 or so miles. 

No, it sounds like Shortmag lost the washer. :D :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users