Can-Am ATV & UTV Forums banner

commander choosing a spare wheel to carry.

6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  labradorian 
#1 ·
Hello all.

have a 2017 commander DPS with the 27" bighorn 2.0 tires and OEM silver wheels. I want to buy a spare tire to carry around for obvious reasons.

first question,

1. will the front wheels of a commander fit on the rear?, why I ask is that i plan on buying a spare, 27x9x14 which matches the front tires on this thing, the rears are 27x11x14. I know the rear tires are wider, but do the front and rear rims have a different offset? or are the rear rim simply wider?

2. here's where i get confused, is when picking the proper rim with the same offset as my OEM front rims. so it can be mounted front or rear incase of a flat. I assume that mounting the rear 11" wider tires in the front will cause rubbing issues when turning. hense not buying a 11" wide spare tire.

I need to confirm the rim details of the commander front rim......here is what I know....

wheel bolt pattern: 4/137,

height/width: 14x7

What about offset, many after market rims in the bolt pattern above, height/width are available in offsets of 5+2(4), 5+2(15), 3.5+3.5(4), 4+3(3) ? Can someone please breakdown what these offset numbers mean?

How can I tell the offset of my current OEM wheels on the bike other than trying to measure them.

I just want a cheap steel wheel for the spare.

any direction is appreciated.

thanks

Glen

See less See more
#2 ·
yes fronts will bolt on rears but not other way around and the 5+2 or4+3 or 4+4 is how much back space you have

first number is how much behind wheel nuts and second is what you see on the out side of your wheel

I recomend just a spare even if its a stock 26in tire cheap and easy to get but

yours may have the new 12in rims they will fit older machines but older rims will not fit yours

I bought a new 2016 450 max and thought I got tires but new 12s are way more dished than old ones for new bigger brakes

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
yes fronts will bolt on rears but not other way around and the 5+2 or4+3 or 4+4 is how much back space you have

first number is how much behind wheel nuts and second is what you see on the out side of your wheel

I recomend just a spare even if its a stock 26in tire cheap and easy to get but

yours may have the new 12in rims they will fit older machines but older rims will not fit yours

I bought a new 2016 450 max and thought I got tires but new 12s are way more dished than old ones for new bigger brakes
thanks man

I ended up ordering the OEM front wheel as a spare but ended up getting a cheaper maxxis 27" VIPR tire. looks similar to the bighorns with a different thread pattern. the maxxis 27" big horn 2.0 tires(14") are only available from the can am dealers here in canada. not sure if its the same way in the states.

cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.